Body flexing? Windshield Popping Noise?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

I need someone to tell me everything is ok and my body did not flex too much and I'm not going to have problems... :ohno:

So today I was bringing my cat to the cat lady to get his shots, and I had to make a u-turn so I pulled into this gas station on the corner, and turned around and was coming forward out of the gas station's driveway which was kind of steep... I came out very slowly at a pretty good angle and I heard a series of loud crackling from the roof area which sounded like small bits of hail hitting the roof. It only happened for a second or two as I was pulling out, and I havent heard it again... When I got out of the Rogue to look at the roof I was expecting to see ripples in the panel because I thought the body of the car had flexed something aweful... But I didn't see any ripples.

Should I check anywhere else for ripples or anything? Any other signs of severe flexing that I can check out?

Will my car track differently now on the highway or steer funny in certain situaions? Are there any negative side affects that can occur if the body did flex enough to make that unnerving sound? :mad:

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

DUDE YOUR CAR IS TOTALED!

no just kidding lol. what happened was, normal body flex. the noises you heard actually was the windshield shifting slightly. its a normal thing. happens to many cars coming and going up and down driveways - especial when turning. happens to me all the time, especially when cold.

followingnfront

ImStricken wrote:DUDE YOUR CAR IS TOTALED!

no just kidding lol. what happened was, normal body flex. the noises you heard actually was the windshield shifting slightly. its a normal thing. happens to many cars coming and going up and down driveways - especial when turning. happens to me all the time, especially when cold.
That's nuts. I've heard of people hearing creaking and stuff when the body is flexing, but this sounded like pellets hitting my roof, which doesn't sound like normal flexing as I've heard it described before or as I've heard in any previous car I've had. I hope I don't hear this on a regular basis in the Rogue... My Accord never made any kind of flexing sound.

But.... WHEWWW... I'm glad I didn't do anything wrong.

Thanks for the reassurance ImStricken!

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

followingnfront wrote:I was bringing my cat to the cat lady to get his shots
Cat Lady?!?!? You should bring your cat to a vet :gapteeth:

Yeah I would concur that it was the windshield making the noise as it happens to me a lot.

followingnfront

darylzero wrote:
followingnfront wrote:I was bringing my cat to the cat lady to get his shots
Cat Lady?!?!? You should bring your cat to a vet :gapteeth:

Yeah I would concur that it was the windshield making the noise as it happens to me a lot.
Lol... This particular cat lady rescues cats and deals with many on a daily basis, and she lives directly above a vet's office and is on a first name basis with every staff member of said office and gets shots from them, etc. Put it this way, taking my cat to her is free and giving a cat a shot and some flea/parasite cream is pretty easy. But yeah, she won't be fixing my cat or anything like that... But small stuff that would cost me in a Vet's office, I have no problem with her doing. She is good.

So you hear the sound like pellets hitting your roof too huh? Wow... Well, I guess its better than it NOT being normal, but its still weird.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

followingnfront

Well, in that thread most people were saying that they were getting new windshields, etc. to fix the problem. Mine didn't sound like it was coming from the front, but from above my head and above my rear passenger's head... But I take your word for it, I've just never heard anything like that before. The pops were loud and for a second I thought somebody threw a bunch of little pebbles at the roof of my car

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

followingnfront wrote:Well, in that thread most people were saying that they were getting new windshields, etc. to fix the problem. Mine didn't sound like it was coming from the front, but from above my head and above my rear passenger's head... But I take your word for it, I've just never heard anything like that before. The pops were loud and for a second I thought somebody threw a bunch of little pebbles at the roof of my car
technically this could earn a new windshield. id try it if i was under warranty. but since im not able to claim a warranty, ill just live with it :)

followingnfront

ImStricken wrote:
followingnfront wrote:Well, in that thread most people were saying that they were getting new windshields, etc. to fix the problem. Mine didn't sound like it was coming from the front, but from above my head and above my rear passenger's head... But I take your word for it, I've just never heard anything like that before. The pops were loud and for a second I thought somebody threw a bunch of little pebbles at the roof of my car
technically this could earn a new windshield. id try it if i was under warranty. but since im not able to claim a warranty, ill just live with it :)
What part of the windshield is flexing or moving? And would replacing it fix it? Is it possible that I have a "bad" windshield ? My car only has 2012 miles btw.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

followingnfront wrote: What is it about the windshield that is flexing or moving? And how would replacing it fix it? Do I have a "bad" windshield? My car only has 2012 miles btw.
its the glue that holds it in place = poor adhesion.

followingnfront

Ah ok... Now Im not so upset or worried. It seems like a "simple" enough issue. Now I can say WHEWW and really mean it lol.

I take it there is no tsb on this?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

followingnfront wrote:Ah ok... Now Im not so upset or worried. It seems like a "simple" enough issue. Now I can say WHEWW and really mean it lol.

I take it there is no tsb on this?
Latest Nissan Rogue Technical Service Bulletins
All model years: http://www.automd.com/tsb/nissan_m/rogue_mm/
2012 specific: http://www.automd.com/recall-tsb/search ... &model=798

followingnfront

Wow thats a lot of bulletins... Thanks for the links.

followingnfront

Ok so I will admit when I'm wrong and say that ImStricken was right, it is coming from my windshield... And I want to say that ever since the day that I made this thread (hearing it for the first time), I hear it more and more. More and more to the point of hearing noises while just hitting slight bumps, etc.

So I was going to come on here and complain about that, however, something struck me tonight and a little light bulb turned on in my head (ImStricken you may appreciate this)...

So I am into retrofitting headlights with HID projectors. I did that with my Accord, etc. In order to do a retrofit, you have to bake open your headlights, install the projectors into the reflectors, and scrape off the old headlight sealant and replace with butyl (ironically what they mount windshields with), clamp your headlight lenses back together, and bake them again.

WELLL, when I suction mounted my green and white POV lights to my front windshield, I used thin lines of butyl to kind of "secure" the shrouds of the lights to the windshield so they wouldn't be shaking and bouncing... Pics of the butyl:

For those who don't know, butyl is semi-hard and very tacky when cold, and when baked it becomes soft and spongy... Obviously I stuck the butyl on there when cold... My theory is that when I initially came out of the driveway of that gas station I made this thread about, when the windshield was trying to flex, the lights may have been "fighting" it since the butyl kind of "stuck" them to the windshield, and the popping sounds I heard was the butyl losing its adhesion to the windshield. I noticed on my drive home that day that both lights were no longer stuck to the windshield and I had to press them back on (They had never lost their adhesion before that day, and as I said, the butyl is very tacky and sticky). Ever since that day though, they have not stuck to the windshield as well, and I had to reapply the butyl to cover more surface area to stick better.

Is it possible that the sounds I'm hearing are just the butyl "fighting" to adhere to the windshield ever since that day?

I know my best bet is to un-stick the lights from the windshield and drive around to see, but I just thought I'd run it by you guys and see what you thought! Deep down part of me thinks that the original popping noises I heard may have been a little too loud and too long in duration to be the thin strips of butyl, but I guess I honestly don't want to find out that it is something out of my control (bad windshield installation) that I'd need someone else to fix :frown: .

Also, ImStricken, what would you recommend using in place of the butyl if it is in fact the problem?

Thanks guys!

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

:picard:

followingnfront

Rogue One wrote::picard:
Explain yourself.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

followingnfront wrote:So I am into retrofitting headlights with HID projectors.
i did a few: 350z headlight into my bike when it was still on the street ;)

scrape off the old headlight sealant and replace with butyl
no you dont. just warm the housing and reinstall the cover. and rebake

WELLL, when I suction mounted my green and white POV lights to my front windshield, I used thin lines of butyl to kind of "secure" the shrouds of the lights to the windshield so they wouldn't be shaking and bouncing...
i hate that gunk. it will melt in the sun and run. you are gonna regret it.

I noticed on my drive home that day that both lights were no longer stuck to the windshield and I had to press them back on (They had never lost their adhesion before that day, and as I said, the butyl is very tacky and sticky). Ever since that day though, they have not stuck to the windshield as well, and I had to reapply the butyl to cover more surface area to stick better.
as it air dries, it hardens and looses its tackiness. when headlights are on, they creat a lot of heat and warm the housing and that gunk- so it never really looses its grip
Is it possible that the sounds I'm hearing are just the butyl "fighting" to adhere to the windshield ever since that day?
possible, no one can guess through a forum. doubt it as that gunk is like gum, all gooey 'n s*** lol
I know my best bet is to un-stick the lights from the windshield and drive around to see, but I just thought I'd run it by you guys and see what you thought!
try it and see
Also, ImStricken, what would you recommend using in place of the butyl if it is in fact the problem?
nothing. iv never used anything on the shrouds as they never bothered me. dont over think a simple shroud ;)

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

followingnfront wrote:
Rogue One wrote::picard:
Explain yourself.
Umm, it would have been helpful if you had mentioned the lights in your first post.

followingnfront

ImStricken wrote:no you dont. just warm the housing and reinstall the cover. and rebake
That is not always so... It depends on the headlight and type of sealant used. Some are more prone to fogging up than others, and more often than not, it is better to put all new butyl in the cracks than to have to take them apart again when it fogs.

I don't think I'm overthinking them. I have two reasons for wanting them to be pressed up against the windshield, 1)without something holding the shrouds up they point slightly downward, and I get flashback... 2) They will jiggle when driving. I'll go down to the garage and see what I can come up with.

followingnfront

Rogue One wrote: Umm, it would have been helpful if you had mentioned the lights in your first post.
I had no idea that the sound was coming from the windshield until ImStricken brought it up and I paid closer attention the next few times I drove. In the first post I thought it was coming from the roof because that is where it sounded like it was coming from. So this being my first post since then, I acknowledged that the sound is coming from the windshield and I mentioned how I have the lights mounted. Chain of events.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

Out of curiousity what's the purpose behind those lights? I have personally never seen anything like that mounted to a windshield.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

TrevorK wrote:Out of curiosity what's the purpose behind those lights? I have personally never seen anything like that mounted to a windshield.
It's a fetish he shares with ImStricken (kidding! :biggrin: )
Check out this thread chatroom-emergency-tow-hazard-lights-t570619.html

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Rogue One wrote:
TrevorK wrote:Out of curiosity what's the purpose behind those lights? I have personally never seen anything like that mounted to a windshield.
It's a fetish he shares with ImStricken (kidding! :biggrin: )
Check out this thread chatroom-emergency-tow-hazard-lights-t570619.html
lolololololololololololololol that was funny R1! lol :lolling:

followingnfront

Lmao rawr ;-)

Return to “Rogue Forum”