Bluetooth audio streaming for 2008 EX35 working!

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
pilotbob3

Hi all,

Thought I'd start a new thread for this now that I've got this working. I've got Bluetooth audio streaming working perfectly with my 2008 EX35.

Had to jump through a few hoops to do it, but now it works with full steering wheel controls and dash display. I got it working with the Viseoo Tune2Air WMA1000 Bluetooth adapter, and two 30 pin adapters. It works perfectly with Apple devices. Since the Tune2Air only works with the Apple airplay interface, android devices do work, but playlists, and song metadata does not display on the screen. Maybe someday the Tune2Air people will add the Android device display capabilities correctly. No big deal, as for me until they do I can use the Android display itself to display the song information.

For Bluetooth pairing, there are two connections from the phone. One as a phone connection to the MY-CAR interface, one as a media connection to the Tune2Air. Incoming calls are handled perfectly with audio pausing, then resuming after the call ends.

Basically the three pieces you need to pull this off is:

1. The Tune2Air WMA1000: http://www.viseeo.com/ugC_ShowroomItem_ ... dShowID=15 . Its available at Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... k%3Aviseoo

2. The CableJive dockStubz+ Charge converter and 30 pin pass through that injects the 5 volts needed by the WMA1000 into the cable (you'll also need a standard micro usb car charger any should do fine). The CableJive is at Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TJ ... UTF8&psc=1

3. The Scosche IFWAHBK home dock pass port charging adapter from Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NX ... UTF8&psc=1

All this stuff allows the proper voltage injection and pin passthrough to the Infiniti IPOD adapter cable. Connect as follows:

IPOD Cable -> CableJive dockStubz -> Scosche -> WMA1000

All this fits easily in the center console, here's a picture: Image

Here is picture of the display using an Android phone (I don't have an Iphone available, but assure you that it worked well): Image

Here's my overall setup: Image

Hope this helps someone. I'm begging the Viseoo people to get the Android metadata fixed, but it is clear that Apple is their priority. Keeping fingers crossed and maybe if enough of us request it they'll make it happen.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Very nice and great write up and persistence! This should save many people a lot of time. Great job.

mojocp
Car: 2008 EX35 RWD
Lux/Tech/Nav packages

Hi, just a few quick questions.

I understand why #2 is necessary - because the original cable did not supply the requisite power for future iphones. In theory, this adapter sends the power to the right pin and the 30 pin connection is now properly powered for the newer (relatively) iphones and (for what we want it for) the bluetooth adapters that use that same connection.

Great... but then why is #3 necessary? If i am reading correctly, both of those devices do the same thing - allow the non-powered connection to now power the device. Can you see if your system works without #3?

Last question, does this solve the issue about certain bluetooth adapters not working, since the power is all normal? I see that you are running a really pricey adapter (~$80) and there are many others that are cheaper ($15).

Thanks for the help.

(I just want to run music from my android. I dont care about steering wheel controls - just dont want to mess with wires anymore)

mikeymike
Car: 2008 G37s Coupe

I am curious about mojocp's questions as well. What is the exact purpose of the scosche adapter and do you think there are cheaper bluetooth receivers that will work in place of your WMA 1000?

Unlike mojocp i do care about steering wheel controls.

pilotbob3

Hi mojo,

Step 3 is necessary. I don't know why. I tried to decipher the pinout necessary from the data sheets and the Ipod specification, but without spending a fair amount of money on breakout cables to test my theory and debug I'm not able to make a conclusion. Suffice it to know that WMA1000 would not power on without both adapters, and in the sequence I describe. For the $4.95 it cost me to do step 3, it's not worth it to me to spend that much effort. Since I can't influence the manufacturer to solve the problem (the market for our issue must be too small to them to spend time either), it's a quick and dirty solution.

If you don't care about screen displays or steering wheel controls, you can always use a generic Bluetooth receiver with a 3.5mm cable and hook it up to the AUX jack in your center console. Should work fine.

I understand about the expense of the solution, believe me, I've tried a bunch of inexpensive Ipod dock style Bluetooth adapters including the MPOW and Cerulean adapters. The Infiniti audio system does not recognize them as being an Ipod. I am guessing, there is some signaling protocol on the digital side that announces the devices an Ipod that is missing from those adapters. I believe it is that signaling that the WMA1000 and the Anycom FIPO provides. Those are the only two devices that I got to work at all with the Infiniti Ipod connector.

mojocp wrote:Hi, just a few quick questions.

I understand why #2 is necessary - because the original cable did not supply the requisite power for future iphones. In theory, this adapter sends the power to the right pin and the 30 pin connection is now properly powered for the newer (relatively) iphones and (for what we want it for) the bluetooth adapters that use that same connection.

Great... but then why is #3 necessary? If i am reading correctly, both of those devices do the same thing - allow the non-powered connection to now power the device. Can you see if your system works without #3?

Last question, does this solve the issue about certain bluetooth adapters not working, since the power is all normal? I see that you are running a really pricey adapter (~$80) and there are many others that are cheaper ($15).

Thanks for the help.

(I just want to run music from my android. I dont care about steering wheel controls - just dont want to mess with wires anymore)

pilotbob3

The only thing I got working with steering wheel controls is the WMA1000. I have bought several other adapters which never get recognized by the Infiniti audio system. I believe the Infiniti looks for some sort of signaling telling it that it's connected to an Ipod. I don't know the Apple protocol, and I don't have the equipment to decode and decipher the connections. If you, or anyone else can, that'd be great!

The cost of the setup I describe is probably about $130 all in. For me, it was well worth it, and I spent a lot of $$ in stuff that ended up not working.
mikeymike wrote:I am curious about mojocp's questions as well. What is the exact purpose of the scosche adapter and do you think there are cheaper bluetooth receivers that will work in place of your WMA 1000?

Unlike mojocp i do care about steering wheel controls.

mikeymike

pilotbob3 wrote:The only thing I got working with steering wheel controls is the WMA1000. I have bought several other adapters which never get recognized by the Infiniti audio system. I believe the Infiniti looks for some sort of signaling telling it that it's connected to an Ipod. I don't know the Apple protocol, and I don't have the equipment to decode and decipher the connections. If you, or anyone else can, that'd be great!

The cost of the setup I describe is probably about $130 all in. For me, it was well worth it, and I spent a lot of $$ in stuff that ended up not working.
Ah thank you, I'm sorry if I came off demanding, that definitely wasn't my intention. I appreciate your contribution :)

I sent this thread to the guys at cablejive to ask them if they could simplify it all and provide us with something that works without having to do this silliness. They replied pretty quickly. Unfortunately they don't have an all-in-one solution for us. :(

This is the email, I hope they don't mind me posting it here. Image

Hopefully someone will do this for us. I would buy it.

mojocp
Lux/Tech/Nav packages

I guess the real question is whether the factory ipod/iphone connection into the car's stereo system is digital or analogue.

In theory, if its just a L/R pass-through, we're just talking about a fancy 30-pin connection to give you the same output as the headphone jack *(but which is also capable of sending display data and receiving play/pause commands, etc. - but for now I'm just focusing on sound).

As far as I know, the pure-digital setups, wherein the data is actually sent in digital form to the stereo can be fairly pricey. Then again, this infiniti system (and even the cable) was pricey... I dont know what to think.

Play/Pause/FF/RW controls would be great if possible, but the bottom line is that I was pursuing this solution because I thought the end result would be the superior digital connection. Otherwise, yes, I'd just go get a simple powered bluetooth receiver with a headphone output for the L/R (red/white) connections in the center console.

mikeymike

mojocp wrote:I guess the real question is whether the factory ipod/iphone connection into the car's stereo system is digital or analogue.

In theory, if its just a L/R pass-through, we're just talking about a fancy 30-pin connection to give you the same output as the headphone jack *(but which is also capable of sending display data and receiving play/pause commands, etc. - but for now I'm just focusing on sound).
You know I was wondering that too. It's quite possible since this is an older ipod connector and won't charge new ipods/iphones...
mojocp wrote:As far as I know, the pure-digital setups, wherein the data is actually sent in digital form to the stereo can be fairly pricey. Then again, this infiniti system (and even the cable) was pricey... I dont know what to think.

Play/Pause/FF/RW controls would be great if possible, but the bottom line is that I was pursuing this solution because I thought the end result would be the superior digital connection. Otherwise, yes, I'd just go get a simple powered bluetooth receiver with a headphone output for the L/R (red/white) connections in the center console.
The bitrate via A2DP may not be as high as you would think. I remember someone doing a calculation of the maximum bitrate that bluetooth could possibly allow and it wasn't substantial. I dunno how relevant that is to you but yeah...

My biggest concern is to be able to change tracks using the steering wheel. I hate picking my phone up to do that. It's dangerous :(

Quality is important to me as well, however.

pilotbob3

Hi guys,

Yup, not sure if it's a digital or analog connection that's used for the sound. From the wiring diagram it looks like it's analog, with the digital signaling allowing for Ipod identification and steering wheel controls. It sounds really good no matter which one it is, no ignition noise that I can hear. One way or the other it'll be analog at some point :) Although the Bose system is OK, I don't think its that great, and a higher bit rate to me would be overshadowed by the quality of the speakers. If I had an Iphone it really would be great since the Infiniti Iphone integration with this setup works so nicely. Playlists, podcasts, etc. are all available from the car display. But, it's so nice just to start the car and have my Android phone automatically connect and start playing music where it had left off.

I think for the digital connection, the only options are the really expensive adapters, which emulate the satellite radio box (you have to give up satellite radio) are always an option, but I really doubt it's worth it compared to this solution.

Here are a few links for the wiring diagram from the AV manual with the pinouts, adapter and signal levels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v69eifhnlkwv ... inouts.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzfmlnx85a7ak ... wiring.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwma2k3zm1kml ... ignals.pdf

This might help someone who wants to try getting a more inexpensive solution than the WMA1000 working.

-Pilotbob

mikeymike

pilotbob3 wrote: Here are a few links for the wiring diagram from the AV manual with the pinouts, adapter and signal levels.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v69eifhnlkwv ... inouts.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzfmlnx85a7ak ... wiring.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwma2k3zm1kml ... ignals.pdf

This might help someone who wants to try getting a more inexpensive solution than the WMA1000 working.

-Pilotbob
Thank you for posting these things. You're awesome.

TimGinCentralNJ
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX Journey AWD

Pilotbob3-

Nice work!! Months (and months) ago I had found the Tune2Air bluetooth solution and had high hopes for it, but never pulled the trigger on buying one. Not sure if you read the customer reviews on Amazon, but it should **looked** like it would fully work on Android devices, too, albeit depending on the vehicle. I cannot imagine that resolving the lack of ID3 tag info displaying would be a huge undertaking...assuming they spend ANY time focusing on the Android market. I'm not a huge fan either of converters plugging into converters plugging into adapters, but it sounds like all that stuff will at least fit in the armrest console and remain out of sight.

Out of curiosity, did you have to perform any firmware update on the Tune2Air unit? I seem to recall reading (also on Amazon) that a number of people had gotten it to work better with their Android devices after updating it (wish I could remember the specifics), however, the update itself was a bit challenging/painful with little useful support available from the manufacturer. Just curious.

Again, great job...and thanks so much for sharing this information.

Tim

TimGinCentralNJ

Something else which just occurred to me; if getting Viseoo (the manufacturer of the Tune2Air product) to offer better support for Android devices IS important to any members here, perhaps if each of us were to write them and request they get the metadata/ID3 tag display functionality working, it might light a fire under their butts.

I would, however, refrain from mentioning that we're all from a single enthusiast message board. I'd hate the dilute the perception of "urgency", but rather have it come across as though this is functionality which the general public is demanding because, after all, Android has slightly more market share than Apple does (at least as of April 2013 anyway):

http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/

Tim

pilotbob3

Hi TIm,

I did not have to update the firmware in the WMA1000. It already came with the latest firmware. The reseller, who sells this via Amazon, and the manufacturer confirmed this for me. I did get the manufacturer to send me the software key for the program they use to update the software, just in case they update it in the future. It is a kind of frustrating deal where you have to request it from the reseller, who get's it from the manufacturer.

I did get a contact of an engineer at Viseoo who was helpful, but it sounded to me like they did not want to spend a lot of time working on the debugging of the Infiniti cable, so that forced me into figuring it out myself. I also discussed the Android metadata issue once I solved the Infiniti integration with him and he seemed to be open to that, although it sounded like they were happy to primarily address the Apple marketplace (the WMA1000 and the Infiniti Ipod both use the Airplay protocol according to him). So yes, I think that if enough people wrote to both the reseller, and Viseoo that they might throw it in on a future release. From my email exchange with him it sounded as if the Airplay protocol would be difficult to use this way, though.

The other possibility I thought of is Airplay emulation software for the Android platform. This looked promising, I tried 2 different apps but both were restricted to Android connections via WiFi and not Bluetooth. I'm guessing that there are some basic conflicts with Bluetooth that prohibit this sort of connection. If anyone know if this is possible please let me know.

For me, since I mount my phone on the center console next to the main display, my current work around is to use an Android car app in the vehicle. I'm using CarHome Ultra. I've set it up so that when the phone automatically connects to the WMA1000 when I start the vehicle, the app automatically starts, and keeps the phone screen on all the time. That way the phone will display the song metadata such as title, album cover, etc. I can then use the Infiniti display for Nav. The app works nicely and is very flexible with how you want the display to operate, what to do upon connection/disconnection, what apps you want available in the interface, etc. There's a 30 day free evaluation to check it out and it was only $4 to buy. Again, it's not a bad work around if you mount your phone.

TimGinCentralNJ

Great Info....thanks again Bob. Fyi, I will be emailing both the reseller and manufacturer about doing more support of Android. We'll see what happens!

Cheers,
Tim

mojocp
Lux/Tech/Nav packages

Just to post an update on my chosen solution, I compromised and went with a pure bluetooth receiver. I bought one on Amazon pretty cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZC ... UTF8&psc=1

For those discussing the bitrate concern, it's important to note that this bluetooth receiver is APTX compatible, which is a protocol that supports the same sound br/quality as a wired analogue connection. I was a bit skeptical of the claim, but upon listening, I'm very very impressed. In fact, I swear it sounds better than when I would just plug in to my android or ipad through the headphone jack. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that this device is programmed from the start to send the music output at a constant volume that isnt pre-balanced. Or who knows, maybe there's some amplification going on since the signal is translated from digital to analogue in the bluetooth device and not the originating system.

Either way, no hiss, no hum, great battery life (keeps port open for phone charging), and can be set up to receive media audio independently of phone call audio, which still goes to my car's native bluetooth speakerphone.

Yeah - I dont have playlist support, which is a bummer, but lately it's been hassle-free listening to my audiobooks.

brc0488
Car: 2011 G37x

does anyone know what the micro USB that is plugged into the side does?

pilotbob3

brc0488 wrote:does anyone know what the micro USB that is plugged into the side does?
It goes to a simple USB charger. As I mentioned in the original post it provides 5 volts to the adapters to power the WMA1000.

Varjo
Car: Black 2009 G37S 6MT Coupe - Tech Package and 4WAS

Hmm. Can anyone using this hardware give this app a try? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... u.airaudio

It looks like it might enable all metadata from android to work since it claims to convert all audio to airplay format.

pilotbob3

Hi Varjo,

Been there, have the T-Shrt... All of these apps look for a WiFi connected device, not a Bluetooth connection. So, did not work for me. If someone finds one that works for Bluetooth, they win a free beer from me!

Varjo
Car: Black 2009 G37S 6MT Coupe - Tech Package and 4WAS

Ah... I gocha. Bummer about that. Still deciding if it's worth it to pull the trigger on this without full functionality on android...

Nazariy_s
Car: Infiniti FX35 2009 Black

1. The Tune2Air WMA1000: http://www.viseeo.com/ugC_ShowroomItem_ ... dShowID=15 . Its available at Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... k%3Aviseoo

2. The CableJive dockStubz+ Charge converter and 30 pin pass through that injects the 5 volts needed by the WMA1000 into the cable (you'll also need a standard micro usb car charger any should do fine). The CableJive is at Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TJ ... UTF8&psc=1

3. The Scosche IFWAHBK home dock pass port charging adapter from Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NX ... UTF8&psc=1

How does Car Bluetooth phone connection works with all this?
It is connecting over ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000 or original car Bluetooth system?
Thanks in advance.

pilotbob3

Hi Nazariy,

The Bluetooth phone connection is over the stock car system. So 2 Bluetooth connections for your phone, one for streaming audio via the ViseoO, the phone connection for the original car system.

chanu

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of buying this setup and was wondering if this steering wheel controls work for internet radio such as Pandora?
Thanks

pilotbob3

chanu wrote:Hi guys,
I'm thinking of buying this setup and was wondering if this steering wheel controls work for internet radio such as Pandora?
Thanks
It works.

tfm55x
Car: 2008 G35x

Thanks to the OP for passing this info along! I've used various "baling wire and duct tape" solutions to listen to music in my '08 G35x, ever since I bought an iPhone 5. I already owned the Scosche IFWA charging adapter which converted the 12 volt charging voltage on the Infiniti iPod connector to 5 volts, and I thought I'd try that connector with the ViSeeO + Scosche dock adapter, before opening the package on the CableJive dock adapter. That combination works, sort of. The problem is that the Infiniti audio system will time out while trying to connect to an iPod before you can successfully pair via Bluetooth. When the stereo times out, it sends a reset command to whatever device is connected to the iPod connector, and this interrupts the pairing sequence. I managed to unplug/replug the ViSeeO device and complete the pairing sequence, and now everything works fine. I did this because I didn't want to dedicate the 12 volt power port in the center console to the iPod interface. (Call me stubborn.) I'll hang on to the CableJive dock adapter just in case I get frustrated with this arrangement. I would love to know what "secret sauce" is in that Scosche dock adapter that makes it necessary in this application, and I think I'll take it apart at some point to see what's inside. I would like to avoid the several inches of dock adapter devices in a row that take up so much room in my center console, if I can. At any rate, thanks again!

TimGinCentralNJ

tfm55x wrote:Thanks to the OP for passing this info along! I've used various "baling wire and duct tape" solutions to listen to music in my '08 G35x, ever since I bought an iPhone 5. I already owned the Scosche IFWA charging adapter which converted the 12 volt charging voltage on the Infiniti iPod connector to 5 volts, and I thought I'd try that connector with the ViSeeO + Scosche dock adapter, before opening the package on the CableJive dock adapter. That combination works, sort of. The problem is that the Infiniti audio system will time out while trying to connect to an iPod before you can successfully pair via Bluetooth. When the stereo times out, it sends a reset command to whatever device is connected to the iPod connector, and this interrupts the pairing sequence. I managed to unplug/replug the ViSeeO device and complete the pairing sequence, and now everything works fine. I did this because I didn't want to dedicate the 12 volt power port in the center console to the iPod interface. (Call me stubborn.) I'll hang on to the CableJive dock adapter just in case I get frustrated with this arrangement. I would love to know what "secret sauce" is in that Scosche dock adapter that makes it necessary in this application, and I think I'll take it apart at some point to see what's inside. I would like to avoid the several inches of dock adapter devices in a row that take up so much room in my center console, if I can. At any rate, thanks again!
I can relate to your claim of being "stubborn"; and for the record, I give full props to the OP who took the time and money to figure out a solution which works. Brilliant work. My problem is, I cannot deal with all these adapters and wires....even if the majority of them are concealed in the console. (To reiterate, this is MY hang up...not anyone else') Seeing wires laying around reminds me WAY too much of the crap cars I drove in high school and college. Also, I'm an Android user and until one of these Bluetooth adapters supports A2DP profiles with full ID3 data (i.e., song title, artist, etc info on the Infiniti display), I'm holding off. Very glad to hear others are liking this setup. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone figures out a more integrated solution.

pilotbob3

Hi TimGin,

A quick suggestion about the wires, you could place the adapters and wires anywhere, doesn't have to be in the console. You could remove the IPod cable from the center console, and hide the whole shebang somewhere underneath the console. You can pull the 12v from somewhere else and hardwire that to a 12-5 volt adapter. Then, there would be nothing in your center console.

Still have not found an A2DP solution for Android, the Viseoo people don't seem to be too motivated seemly since it's marketed as an Apple solution. For me, it's not a big deal since I mount my phone in a mount that fits in the CD slot, and I display the player info on the phone.

I ended up adding an Airdock mount that holds my phone magnetically to the mount, and charges the phone as well. Pretty nice as I've got it set up so when I enter the car, all I have to do is place it on the mount. I've set it up so it Bluetooth connects constantly, and displays constantly once a Bluetooth connection is made.

Anyhow, best of luck with whatever solution you go with,
Bob

gw611589700
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX 35

Hi pilotbob3,

just want to say thank you for posting this great test.

I received all the parts you mentioned this morning, and after my test, I don't need "The Scosche IFWAHBK home dock pass port charging adapter" to get this set up powered.

just simply connected the " CableJive dockStubz+ Charge converter " to the "Tune2Air WMA1000" and used a micro-usb cable to charge the "CableJive dockStubz+ Charge converter" like you did in the picture.

everything works perfectly.

pilotbob3

gw611589700 wrote:Hi pilotbob3,

just want to say thank you for posting this great test.

I received all the parts you mentioned this morning, and after my test, I don't need "The Scosche IFWAHBK home dock pass port charging adapter" to get this set up powered.

just simply connected the " CableJive dockStubz+ Charge converter " to the "Tune2Air WMA1000" and used a micro-usb cable to charge the "CableJive dockStubz+ Charge converter" like you did in the picture.

everything works perfectly.
Really glad to know that you got it to work with just the dockStubz+!- Nice job. Wondering if CableJive changed the pinout of the adapter to work better. I hope this helps anyone else trying to work this one out.

Enjoy the music! Hopefully someday the Viseeo people will add the full Android Bluetooth capability, but for now, it works pretty dang solid for me. I've gotten used to my magnetic dock for my phone, and I have it so when Bluetooth connects, the Android automatically starts the music app and leaves the display on.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”