Block Heater Location?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
MartyMc
Car: Versa sl

Have recently purchased an '09 Versa SL . It comes with installed blocked heater. I've looked but can't locate the cord. The instructions say to "unwrap the cord and plug it in". However I can't see it - have pulled on a few wires but nothing gives. Before I have to head back to the dealer and ask them this silly question, can someone clue me in on where to look. Thanks.Marty

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

iirc, behind the grill, passenger side. Time to dig mine out before it starts to get cold [for those in warmer climes, "cold" = when it starts to get below 0 F.

Sonofasailor
Car: 2007 Versa SL HB CVT

I just found my block heater cord a month ago. I found my cord nicely tie wrapped on the passenger side of the car, about 1/3 into the engine bay. I was impressed, The cord has a black plastic protector on it and a nice metal clip to hold it in place (the wife tested the strenghth of the cord and clip last week). Once you find it, you will see that there is room ( not a lot though) to run the cord so that it comes out through the bottom part of the grill on the passenger side. Good Luck.

Urq
Car: 82 Ur Quattro & 07 Black Versa SL CVT.

So did the block heaters come in any of the cars sold in the US or was it even a option?I live in SoCal and would never need one but I am just curious.

frankoV

standard equipment in Canada; optional in the States [though I imagine that Texas and SoCal doesn't even carry them and it is special order.

1_Sleek_Versa
Car: 08 Nissan versa SL

Hi,

I live in Quebec, we get many -30 Celsius during winter. I'm pretty sure I have the block heater on my 08.

Does this device help a lot in winter? Is the car faster on heating when plugged? I never used the block heaters on any of my cars.

Thanks

frankoV

you definitely have a block heater.

plugging in helps with starting.

I normally plug in for 3 hours before starts [when the temp gets below -18] and it cranks and catches easily.

Ginsu
Car: White 2009 Versa SL Hatchback

1_Sleek_Versa, are you serious??? You are causing extensive premature wear on the entire top end of your engine. When you start your car below freezing, the oil is thick like molasses (less so with synthetic blends) and it takes at least a few minutes for the oil to reach your cylinder head and properly coat the valves and lifters. Until this point, the metal is scraping tiny little shards off itself as it is completely unprotected and being forced to rub straight metal on metal at high speeds. These shards get flushed out with oil changes, but the damage to your cylinder head components is permanent. After a while, the dreaded top end clicking and ticking will be heard with cold starts because the components will have worn clearances between each other. The block heater keeps the engine coolant warm and in turn the oil from freezing, thus keeping the oil thin and ready to go. Not plugging in your car at -30 is almost as bad as driving it without any oil at all. If you don't believe me, mention to your mechanic that you never plug it in and see the look on his face.
Modified by Ginsu at 5:18 PM 1/3/2009

MartyMc
Car: Versa sl

Thanks to you and also to Sonofasailor for pointing me in the right direction. By the sound of the weather forecast, I'll be needing the BH in the next week. Got my snow tires on yesterday too, so I'm now all set for whatever winter can throw at us here in Ottawa, where today we just had 20 cm. of fresh snow on the ground!Any experienced drivers out there who have driven in lots of snow tell me how the Versa handles in winter conditions compared to other small cars????Thanks again.

Marty McC

Sonofasailor
Car: 2007 Versa SL HB CVT

Glad to hear that you found the BH cord. It does save some wear and tear on the engine when it is extremely cold. The other day in Saskaboom it was -42 celsius, that's -43.6 F. No BH No Go. I've started using Amsoil 5w30. Our V starts great, no ticking.On the tire issue, our V goes through 6-8 " of snow no problem. Our V has Pirelli winter ice carving tires, wish I would have studded them. Thought of lowering the car however clearance in the winter would be an issue. The car handles winter driving very well. I would not want to do a winter with all season tires. If the conditions ever get that bad around here I fire up my gas guzzlin 4 x 4 and give er.

Pattington22
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube SL w/ CVT

MartyMc wrote:Thanks to you and also to Sonofasailor for pointing me in the right direction. By the sound of the weather forecast, I'll be needing the BH in the next week. Got my snow tires on yesterday too, so I'm now all set for whatever winter can throw at us here in Ottawa, where today we just had 20 cm. of fresh snow on the ground!Any experienced drivers out there who have driven in lots of snow tell me how the Versa handles in winter conditions compared to other small cars????Thanks again.

Marty McC
Marty McC

I live here in Ottawa as well, and thus far, I have had no issues with winter driving. I had the dealer put on the winter tires (Michelin X-Ice, I believe) and despite some serious build-up on some of the hills on the ride home, I have never had issues getting going.

Good luck.

-Pat

7speed

I haven't put winter tires on my V, and have gone through two, well 1.5 winters now. No significant hills here in Cow-town, and I don't go to the mountains with it, so I figured I could get by with all-seasons. It's done just fine for me, and compared to the other cars I've driven in snow (Best-Worst), I'd rank it like this:

1. '81 Datsun 4x4 (Unknown Dunlop All-seasons)2. 89 VW Vanagon (Bridgestone Blizzaks)3. '91 VW Golf (Goodyear Integrity All-seasons)4. '07 Versa (Stock All-Seasons)5. '78 Olds Delta 88 (Bridgestone Blizzaks)

The only reason the VW Van was so good in snow I'm sure was not only the better traction given by the true winter tires, but a rear engine RWD vehicle in snow is so much more fun than FWD. I also would figure that the VW with all-seasons would rank lower than the Versa.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”