Best price for the 2009 Nissan Rogue?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Firefly2d

I am currently looking at purchasing the new 2009 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Premium Package in Gotham Gray / Carbon Silver (Canada) with black or grey seats. Would anyone like to let me know what I can expect to pay?

jmol

I highly recommend going on edmunds.com. You can build the rogue with any feature you want and it'll give you the MSRP, invoice and the actual price people are paying in your area. If you walk into the dealer with this information in hand it helps as a great bargaining tool. Good luck!

Firefly2d

Thanks for the post. I have checked out Edmonds.com already. It is a great site with lots of helpful info. However, the info on pricing is for the States only and I'm in Canada.

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

carcostcanada

it costs like $15 to join, but it helped me save $1700. Its worthwhile in my opinion. Other than that, you just have to surf around cyberspace for peoples word on the best deals.

A month or two ago, someone on this forum pointed out some killer deals on loaded Rogues around the GTA.

You might want to just search through this message board.

Dom1183
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Glacier Pearl

I suggest you go dealer to dealer and low ball them. Then have them try and beat everyone elses price. This works well if you are in no rush to get the Rogue. I did this and saved almost $4000 off the sticker price.

Remember, right now the customer is in control and the dealers are hurting for sales. Last month I got my oil changed and walked around the dealership on a Saturday afteroon to find all the dealers standing around with nothing to do other than agrue on which ballons should be tied to the vechicles out in the lot.

I think that if you don't get at least $3000 off the sticker price, you are not getting a good deal.

Unfortunately, you need to haggle and some people don't like to do that.

Good Luck.

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

Another suggestions, work by email, telephone, and fax.

The 'power' of a sales person typically only extends as far as the showroom.

I do suggest you go in and meet with someone, but unless you are a skilled negotiator, do it at a distance and you typically won't feel as 'pressured'.

Good luck!

Dom1183

ahhbeebee wrote:Another suggestions, work by email, telephone, and fax.

The 'power' of a sales person typically only extends as far as the showroom.

I do suggest you go in and meet with someone, but unless you are a skilled negotiator, do it at a distance and you typically won't feel as 'pressured'.

Good luck!
You can try and do this but I doubt you will get any real prices. Most salesman will only take you seriously and start negotiating once you are in their office where they can use their selling tactics to get you to buy. Also, the manager needs to be involved and approve a lower price. Otherwise, they think you are you are just shopping around for the best price and not really ready to buy.

During my 3 hour negotiations at Nissan, we went from $800 off to $3,850 off the price. They wouldn't let me leave the dealership so I told them that another dealership would give me the same Rogue for $3,850 off so if they wanted to make a sale they would have to beat it. The dealer came back several times after speaking to the manager and then finally gave in and offered the same price as the other dealership. The great thing was that I made up the low price.

I wish you good luck and try as hard as possible to get a great price.

harryg
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I just bought my 09 Nissan Rogue SL AWD in white with the premium & leather package yesterdayfor $34,000 (includes taxes..."out the door" price)got about $5500 off.

*we payed full cash amount*

But keep in mind i do live in Vancouver...but the dealer said they are selling like hot cakes over here (they sold 30 cars this month...16 were rogues)
Modified by harryg at 11:03 AM 4/30/2009

Dom1183

harryg wrote:I just bought my 09 Nissan Rogue SL AWD in white with the premium & leather package yesterdayfor $34,000 (includes taxes..."out the door" price)got about $5500 off.

*we payed full cash amount*

But keep in mind i do live in Vancouver...but the dealer said they are selling like hot cakes over here (they sold 30 cars this month...16 were rogues)

Modified by harryg at 11:03 AM 4/30/2009
Good job harryg.......did it take much haggling to get that price? I would think not when you walk in with a bag of money. $ 5,500 off is great. You must have felt like a king walking in there buying the top of the line model and paying with cash. You had some major bargaining power.

Firefly2d

Thank you all for your info. I thought that I should be able to get the price down further than $2500off. I have read a number of blogs and they are all saying that I should be able to get around $4000 off the asking price. Please keep posting with any other info on prices or current deals that you have found.

KCS

Firefly, talk to Bernie at St. Clair Nissan in your area. He will give you an excellent price, no haggling required (shocking, I know). There was a thread about a published St Clair ad about a month ago, and I spoke with him and the phone and by email. Outstanding deal on a loaded Rogue. This was a cash price, but they may have some financing deals as well. I would have happily given him my business if I lived closer to the area.

Firefly2d

Thanks for the info.

harryg

Dom1183 wrote:
Good job harryg.......did it take much haggling to get that price? I would think not when you walk in with a bag of money. $ 5,500 off is great. You must have felt like a king walking in there buying the top of the line model and paying with cash. You had some major bargaining power.
ahhah no there was no hassling...told em the price i wanted and he gave it to me (with a few trips to the manager)

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

Dom1183 wrote:I suggest you go dealer to dealer and low ball them. Then have them try and beat everyone elses price. This works well if you are in no rush to get the Rogue. I did this and saved almost $4000 off the sticker price.

I think that if you don't get at least $3000 off the sticker price, you are not getting a good deal.

Unfortunately, you need to haggle and some people don't like to do that.
Actually you have a better chance of talking down the price on the vehicles with the higher MSRP when the higher price is due to a lot of added options. (i.e, more bells and whistles) For example: A new 2009 base Rogue with "no" additional option upgrades will list at about $20,200. This dealer invoice on this car would not have 3 to $4000 dollars of water in the price. (In other words there's no way you could talk them down $4K to $16000)

However, the options (e.g. Sunroof, Premium Package, Leather, Navigation, tow package, floor mats, etc... each have their own markups (or water) built into their option price. For instance... the Navigation option MSRP is $540 but the dealers cost is $450. The MSRP on the sunroof is $950 ... dealer cost is $825. Premium Package MSRP is $2230... dealers cost is $1935. (and so on... ) The more options over and above the base model... the more water (additional dealer markup) you have to work with in the price.

That said... (for those of you who don't like the haggling and negotiations) rather than negotiate them down to your price... I find it easier (and less painful) when you know exactly what the dealer paid Nissan (or any manufacturer) for the car. Then, you only have to decide how much profit you are willing to give him on the sale. To be fair... no one goes into business to lose money. The dealers have overhead, employees, utility bills, insurance cost etc. So I expect them to make some money on the sale... but at the same time... I don't want to make them rich! I figure if they make $1000 on every new car they sell they could turn a nice profit if they do enough volume.

NET: I've purchased many new cars this way. It's painless and effective. In fact, I just purchased my 2009 Rogue yesterday. I got the exact 2009 Rogue I wanted with every option I wanted (and more) at an awesome price. I simply added x$ (what I wanted to give them for profit) on to what the dealer paid for the car and made them that offer. They came back with a counter offer... I said no thanks and headed towards the door. They called me back... and took my offer. (It also helps that I arrived at the dealership 20 minutes before closing... They're tired and thinking about going home but can't turn down that one last guaranteed sale. ) Other tricks include arriving on the last day of the month, or better... the last day of the quarter, or even better yet... when the new model year cars hit the lot, or best... the last day or two of the year. I went shopping now while there is still a good selection of 2009 models colors and options.

Okay... so.. how do you find out what the dealer paid... (dealers cost)?

There are several companies on the Internet that claim to sell such information. I'm only familiar with Consumer Reports but I've found their service to be the most straight forward, no hassle, no guesswork. It cost $14 US, fore one report ($12 for each additional report) AND... the report is available in both US or Canadian dollars!!! do.

Edmunds.com offers a "free" service that presents TMV (True Market Value - what others are paying) If you don't want to pay for Consumers Reports or a similar service you should at least use Edmunds to find the TMV so you can get in the ballpark of a good deal.

I actually like to use both together. I like Edmunds because you can get more specific as to the added accessories. (floor mats $110, Chrome Grill Applique $170, Rear Bumper protector $60 etc. ) . Consumer Reports does not factor these into the bottom line price because accessories (after market options) are dealership perks with almost 100% profit in them. I never pay for these type of items. (I'll summarize my latest purchase at the bottom of this thread)

As far as Consumers Pricing report... once you've paid on line... and have access to the site, you enter the year, make, model, trim package, options etc. The report displays immediately (be sure to print a copy.) Every option available is listed. Any "extras" (non-standard options for the model you selected) will have two columns. In one is the MSRP (sticker price) and in the other is the Dealers Invoice Price. Also, if the dealer is getting kickback or any incentives from Nissan... that will also be listed. And if Nissan is offering any customer rebates (like Nissans current Tent Sale), the customer rebate amounts are also listed.

Last... some dealers will attach a small window sticker next to the main Manufacturer sticker where they will list items they added to the car after it arrived at the dealership. (e.g., Rust coating, mud flaps, strain protection/Scotchguard etc) These items are typically "added to" the MSRP for new / adjusted MSRP which will be higher than the original MSRP. Forget these items as well as the adjusted MSRP. Do not include these "additional items" in your calculation. As mentioned above, add on accessories are pretty near 100% markup and allow dealers to further improve their profit margin. Only negotiate up from the Bottom Line Price (what the dealer paid for the vehicle) NOTE: The "only" exception to this rule is if the dealer added a high ticket item like an aftermarket sunroof, in-dash navigation, custom paint job, rear spoiler, etc. For "High Ticket" add-ons ($1000 or more) you'll have to decide if you want them and how much you will be willing to pay over and above what you are willing to negotiate up from the bottom line price.

In regards to the pricing report provided by Consumer Reports.. at the very top of the report is the Dealer Invoice Price... "AND" the "Bottom Line Price". The bottom line price is what the dealer actually paid Nissan for the car after incentives, discounts etc. NET: Just add $1000 bucks (or whatever you comfortable with) to the Bottom Line Price... and be prepared to walk if they try to make a counter offer you can't live with.

Below are the Links US and Canada:UShttps://ec.consumerreports.org...chome

CANADAhttp://crcanadacars.org/defaul...CROAP

Modified by Elton Noway at 3:58 AM 5/9/2009

SUMMARY OF MY ROGUE PURCHASE:SL Trim Level 2.5L 4cyl CVTFront Wheel DrivePremium PackageSunRoof

Edmunds MSRP....Edmunds TMV....Consumers MSRP.....Bottom Line Price ...$25,470..............$23,756..............$25,595...................$23,306

Now... add in the Accessories. All these accessories were on the Rogue I purchased. I wasn't looking for them. My only criteria was White exterior, Black Cloth Interior, and Moonroof. These accessories just happened to be on the only vehicle they had that fit my criteria.Grill Applique $170Splash Guards 125Floor Mats $110Rear Bumper Protector $60

Edmunds MSRP....Edmunds TMV....Consumers MSRP.....Bottom Line Price ..$25,935................$24,155................$25,595..................$23,306

As you can see Consumer assigns no value to the accessories, the MSRP remains unchanged... whereas Edmunds adds them in. I stayed with Consumer Bottom Line Price and offered them $23,636 out the door! (a $330 profit) I used the Nissan rebate to pay for the Title fees, License transfer fees, Highway Taxes etc.

Right now Nissan is running their annual tent sale. Rogues have a $1250 cash rebate to the customer. So I made it out the door... total price... exactly what I offered them, $330 over what the dealer paid. Actually... you can even do better than this at year end when the dealers can write off losses and sell vehicles for less than what they paid. The biggest downside to year end sales is the selection will not be as good.

To really net this out (now that is too late)... ... the dealers cost (Consumers Bottom Line price) is approx 10% less than the MSRP on the big window sticker. So I guess another way you could come up with your price (if you don't want to go through the hassle)... is just take 10% off the big sticker MSRP price and present that as your "out the door" offer. Tell the dealer you want it at that price "out the door"... after all fees and taxes have been applied.

Footnote: Using my same vehicle options but going to AWD with the Leather Package would raise the MSRP to $29510. Once you reach this pricing level getting $3000+ off the MSRP is a much easier task and very doable.

Modified by Elton Noway at 12:07 PM 5/9/2009

Modified by Elton Noway at 9:22 AM 5/9/2009
Modified by Elton Noway at 6:04 PM 5/9/2009

WinHac

Might want to check out http://www.truecar.com Site has allot of good info They aggerate retail car sale prices on a weekly basis.

cachuca
Car: Nissan Rogue SL AWD 2009

You are right!

I just bought a 2009 Rogue SL AWD (sunroof, leather and premium packages, floor mats and chrome grille)

MSRP was 29500Our price was $26850, minus $500 recent grad rebate and $300 trade-in (old car, were not expecting much on it), so with those 2, our final price was $26050 plus TTR.

We also got Nissan's promo 2.9% APR.

It did take us a month of haggling and shopping around, but truthfully it was not that hard.

congeee

HI Harryg,

I am planning to get my Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver (Leather and Tech Packages with Rear Bumper Protector) this weekend (June 6 or 7) in the lower mainland. Can you advise me which dealer u got yours and if possible, who you dealt with? Does your $5,500 savings include the $3,500 cash rebate Nissan is offering now till end of June?

Your advise is very much appreciated.

ThanksCongeee
Modified by congeee at 9:27 AM 6/4/2009

harryg

Hi we dealt with Pan Pacific Nissan on 15257 Fraser Highway in surrey and we dealt with Naeem Agro, he is a very friendly guy.

Our rogue was $34,000 with all expenses tax, business fee etc. so we gave them $34000 and drove it off the lot, but do keep in mind that we paid the full amount in cash and that had some effect on us getting close to $5500 off and this does include the $3500 cash rebate,

white nissan rogue SL AWD w/ leather & premium package...we did not get the technology package(bluetooth, key less entry, XM radio) because i did not need it, also we did not get the rear bumper protector

we did however go back and purchase the chrome grill finisher and the floor liners front and back(pretty much the weathertech ones but with nissan logo on them) and the service manager gave us some of a discount on those aswell

if u have anymore questions feel free to ask

congeee

Hi harryg,

Thanks a lot for your reply.With the info you provided, I put the data into my excel and did an analysis of your purchase

2009 Nissan SL AWD MSRP: Starting $28,998Leather Package (must include the Premium package): $4,600Exterior: Glacial Pearl/White : $300Freight and PDE: $1,500Sub Total: $35,398.00

Nissan Cash Rebate: $3,500 (you paid cash)Dealer's discount: $2,000 (i assume that amount)Total Discount: $5,500

Sub Total (after discount before taxes): $29,898.00

GST: $1,494.90PST: $2,092.86A/C Tax: $100Battery tax: $15Tire Tax: $5Total Taxes: $3,707.76

Grand Total: $33,605.76But you said you paid $34,000.00

Am I missing something here?What is this "business fee"?I heard a dealer said something about "Documentation Fee"?Is that the same as your "business fee"?How much was that? What was that anyway? Do I need it too?

Also, I am interested in getting the chrome grille. How much did u pay for the parts and labor?

Looking forward to your next helpful reply.

Congeee
Modified by congeee at 10:42 AM 6/5/2009

harryg

i believe the business fee is the same thing as the documentation fee (dealerships paperwork...he included it in for me) and also $5500 may not be the exact amount but its between $5000-5500

as well the salesman made a mistake about the white paint and wrote down $135 on the negotiation instead of $300 but he said that he'll just leave it $135

the chrome grill finisher i believe was $215(without tax) in the rogue accesories booklet the dealer showed me but he lowered that price down to $170(without tax...installed) because we bought the floor liners front and back(he gave us a discount on those as well..just cant remember how much at this time)

glad to help

Return to “Rogue Forum”