Best Brake Caliper Paint. G2 vs. Duplicolor Vs. VHT

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
mpbclutch33
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5L, 6-speed, Radiant Silver.

I painted the Calipers on my 2005 Nissan Frontier red with the Duplicolor Brake kit. There was a good amount of chips a couple months later. I am not sure if this was due to the product I used or what. So, I want to paint the A/C's Calipers and was wondering what you guys have had good success with. I still have about 3/4 of a can left of the Duplicolor but would need a new brush. I think the G2 and VHT use spray cans. I am looking for the longest possible finish without all the chips.

theoctopussi
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5 6MT

powdercoat em... if you're gonna do it, go balls deep. lol

Marisha
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S

I used G2 and would def recommend it. It came with a paintbrush not spray paint. Have it for almost 2 months now and still looks same as the day I put it on.

mpbclutch33

How much would it cost to Powder Coat (4) brake calipers? Also, for some reason, these Nissan OEM Pads produce more brake dust than I have ever seen. While doing this work, I was thinking about replacing the pads with EBC "Red Stuff" Pads. Anyone else replace their pads because of this?

mpbclutch33

I just checked with the local Powder Coat place and they said $50 per caliper. That is $200 for all (4) ! In theory, I would love to do that, but I wanted this to be a cheap little addition to the car. Gas is too much right now to be spending $200 on Colored Calipers.

What about cleaning them really good, Using a High Temp. Primer, 4-5 coats of color, and a coat of clear. Do you think that would last longer than just cleaning and painting?

mcheddadi
Car: R8

do not use duplicolor, it sucks balls

Marisha
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S

G2 should run you ~$35. I only used 2 coats and no clear. Used the supplied spray and some wool scrub pads to clean.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

Heheh heres my story.. I had my front calipers in hand (got them from the recall, then had them installed after i had a chance to paint them).

I was planning on just painting the front ones so i took out my $36 delivered G2. (the spray can included is brake cleaner, super super strong stuff).. Then i put half the paint and half the "activator" into a cup and sat on my balcony to paint...

15 min later and i had a nice even coat on both, went inside to let it dry for a few before coat 2. I came out to the balcony and the cup i used (a damn blue solo cup, i wasnt thinking!) was a big blob on the floor, with paint running off the edge of my balcony... i scrounged up as much paint as i could from the mess and gave it another half quasi coat... it STILL looks better than the duplicolor ones ive seen! my .02

Black_Knight
Car: 2008 350z NISMO

Try this website, they have everything you need. It's worth the $$, trust me. I went through painting for years; that crap SUCKS!! I bit the bullet and purchased these; I'm 150% satisfied!!

http://www.xrcbrakes.com

Altima_Coupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5se

theoctopussi wrote:powdercoat em... if you're gonna do it, go balls deep. lol
i get my powdercoating done at liquidpowdercoats, in yardly pa. he does real good work. they charge like 40 a caliper. im getting mine done one of these days.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

mcheddadi wrote:do not use duplicolor, it sucks balls
???? I used duplicolor (but used a real paintbrush, not the pos they give you) and mine look incredible - 4 months in. My brother has it on his mustang and it just started to chip 2 years later...

Black_Knight
Car: 2008 350z NISMO

Dude, trust me-try this site and tell me what you think...

mpbclutch33

350z0935 wrote:Dude, trust me-try this site and tell me what you think...

I tried to look it up on that site and don't see any application of 08' Altima Coupe!

mpbclutch33

Also, I have read that cleaning the calipers down to bear metal and using High Temp Engine enamel and a high Temp Clear Coat last years without chipping or flaking. If I were to try this method, I would want to remove the the calipers from the car. I know how to remove the calipers from the brake assembly, but how do you disconnect the brake lines going to the caliper?

MikeisSUPERBAD
Car: 2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R

if you used duplicolor on the calipers... how would u go about removing the paint from the caliper??

marlin29311

haha, sorry, i had to use it...

If you still have the caliper cleaner, that should break down the paint, and you have to rub/toothbrush/something it off to get it off completley. Sanding works as well and will help.

MikeisSUPERBAD

hey marlin... here is my exact situation

this past sunday i attempted to paint all 4 calipers... red with the duplicolor kit i bought from advanceautoparts since its right down the street.

i painted the drivers side front caliper and then did the passenger side... by the time i was done it was already getting dark and a bit colder outside.. so i decided to call it a night and finish on the next clear/sunny day with temp above 60 and less than 50% humidity.. as per the paint kit.

i went back to the store because i forgot to get clear coat.. and decided today to spray the clear coat on the passenger side.. and then the paint or the clear coat looked like it was cracking.. im guessing it was the clear coat.. because the red caliper paint had not cured yet? only been 3 days since it was painted... OR because the weather outside was humid.. it rained early this morning... well anyways... i got pissed off that i messed it up... and need to redo that side. i dont want to try putting another coat of red on that side because it may come out even worse.. so ive decided to remove the paint or sand it down.

i got some sandpaper sheets (fine and extra fine) and was thinking that might work but im wondering if that will even come out right because ive only painted it 3 days ago? OR would it be better to spray the caliper cleaner on the paint? that cleaner though.. usually dries very quickly so i dont know how that will work. i left the calipers installed to paint them... as i dont want to risk screwing the job up by taking my brakes apart and not being able to get to work when i need to.so what do i do? ive searched online and found that some people used aircraft remover stripper spray or gel, some say brake fluid works or just acetone/paint remover?

marlin29311

On the clear coat....

You can't just paint it three days later - the paint doesn't have proper time to cure. Even the back of the paint can mentions that you have to later it all the same day, or wait at least a week before adding new coats.

On removing...

I actually redid my calipers as I didn't do such a great job the first time. The paint was starting to flake a few weeks after I did it, so I used the cleaner and the paint was easily pulling off, with some residue being left over - I basically just wiped the paint off, and then toothbrushed the rest off. For what was left over I considered to be somewhat of a "primer," and I have had 0 issues since I've repainted. You might not even need the sandpaper.

You don't really need the clear coat, unless you are really worried about sealing in the paint, but quite honestly in this application I don't feel a clear coat is necessary.

MikeisSUPERBAD

thanks for the advice marlin. i will try that today and let you know how it goes and even take some pics if i have the time since it should be in the 70's today here.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”