Belt replacement nightmare

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
captluv
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

I'm still waiting to wake up from this one, knowing all is really well...Started changing the belts on my 96 I30 today and I got the accessory belt off (alternator, ac), but the power steering was a 5-hour disaster. Here's what happened.

I found the bolts on the front of the pump and loosened them, but too much as the two-bolt assembly fell out and I couldn't put it back in, no matter what I tried. The compartment is too crowded and the car frame blocks my view of right where I need to look. I eventually lost the smaller bolt and that rectangular brass piece somewhere in the engine bay. Just disappeared, vanished without a trace like William Hung's popularity. I had to order a new block from Nissan ($14, thought it would be worse).

But here's the biggest problem, I think the power steering pump has another bolt somewhere behind it that also needs to be loosened (I saw a drawing, probably from a Chilton book, on Maxima.org). The belt is still on; can't get it off.

So, I have two questions:

1. Is there a second bolt behind the pump somewhere that I need to loosen as well?

2. Does anyone have experience reinstalling the long bolt and block assembly that adjusts the power steering pump? I imagine if you've ever had to remove the pump and install a new one, you've done this.

I hope this all makes sense and someone out there can tell me how to get the belt off. Thanks in advance.

coolhand
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima SE

Yes I have experienced the same problem. In regards to"Is there a second bolt behind the pump somewhere that I need to loosen as well? " Yes there is. This bolt is located above the cv axle and its hard to see. If you send me the diagram of the pump assemble I can walk you through it.

In regards to "Does anyone have experience reinstalling the long bolt and block assembly that adjusts the power steering pump? I imagine if you've ever had to remove the pump and install a new one, you've done this. " that is called by most as a micro adjustment. It should not change mounting position much after the pump moves. Make sure you have the pump pivot points loose BEFORE you loosen the long bolt of the micro because this can cause the bolt and base to strip threads. Also, make sure the long bolt of the micro is lubed throughly (I like PB Blaster) so it will not seize and snap off. Hope this helps

captluv
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder

Thanks for the response, coolhand. Attached is the picture I was referring to. It shows another bolt behind the steering pump, (upper left picture) but I have no idea how to get to it. I guess I'll have to blindly feel back there to put a wrench on it. Or do you know of a better way?

Ya got any tips on finding lost pieces in the engine bay as well? I dropped that bolt assembly for the steering pump and for the life of me can't find the damn thing.

Thanks again for the help...

coolhand
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima SE

Sorry for the late response, I was on vacation. I circled the areas to look (more like feel) for. The bolt behind the exhaust manifolds you need a hand wrench and this is the one you may have to work around the axle to get. Also, check on the other side of the pump for bolt for possible pivot points.

pascal
Car: 1997 I30

where can i find this manual? we have a 1997 i30...

thanks!

pascal

nakedwaterskier
Car: 1996 I30

Anyone have a diagram of the power steering pump 96 i30 or equivalent? About to replace and trying to learn all I can before I start the obvious hassle. Thanks

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”