Battery fusible link

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
ejski
Car: 92' 240sx

I have a 1992 240sx. KA24DE engine. I replace the battery and I broke the fusible link on the positive post. I need to locate a replacement. Tried all the locale shops and, Nissan dealers but, no luck. The link is red in colour. Has two plug ins in the back of it and, a link that connect to the battery. Any body? I have a picture of it but, can't post it.

blkvrtswp
Car: 93 240SX Convertible
SR20DET FP 20G Turbo

Try ebay, post a wanted to buy here and on Zilvia, look for partouts. Junkyard Nissans might also have a very similar part. Look on http://www.courtesyparts.com to see if new ones are still available - you never know!

MunkeeKnuts
Car: 1985 Nissan 720 pickup longbed

ejski did you ever find a way around this? I'm having the same problem - unable to locate the clip for my fusible link. There's got to be a workaround for this simple part.

macgiver

mac, just because at or near the battery there is a "skinny" wire doesn't necessarily mean it is a fusible link. 1) Fusible links are most always in the POSITIVE side. 2) Many times @ the starter , where it saves the day when someone improperly does a "Reverse connected" jump-start. 3) Can be also located up at the battery for the latter reason , and/or to protect a "downline Ckt." like any other fuse. 4) Usually all they are "Electrically" is a wire TWO sizes SMALLER , whereas it will "Fuse" or Burn-up / disintegrate ( as what fuses do :rotfl )
5) NEVER USE a NORMAL WIRE 2-sizes smaller !!! It WILL catch fire . :facepalm: Fusible link has a type of plastic covering which contains the disintegration long enough AND without the possibility of fire , until a "Clean" & "Total break".
6) A "skinny" wire on negative side is generally kind of a strap to Body (metal) ground , since heavy black neg. cable is usually directly to "Block" . 7) Know for sure ,via FSM schematic etc., that you ARE redoing a "Fusible Link" (2 sizes down ,needed) and not just a "skinny wire" .
8 ) Various sized , generic , Fus. Links are available a at most auto parts stores- SIZE Matters :inoutgay: 9)Unless your experienced in electrical re-work , for there are half dozen ways to attach wires , best shown "Live & in person" (ex., I like a positive "mechanical ,twist- or braid" WITH solder :yesnod ) 10) You CAN , but no need to buy a "designated part # " of fusible link for 20 times the $$$$$$ :cry: Good luck, G 3/27/2018

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Many cars have no protection there at all and if you do all the work on them like I do and the rest of the system is OK with no issues and well fused then I am comfortable removing them to not even have one there. Just make sure any rewiring you ever do is sized correctly and reliable and you'll never have any issues. I haven't in 40+ years.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

The positive post connector is just a connector. It doesn't have a fuse in it. Battery protection didn't become a thing until the late 90s/early 2000s. I guess most designers relied on main fuse protection in the fuse panels.

flartius
Car: 1996 - Nissan 240sx SE RB25DET
2008 - Yamaha YZF-R6 - SOLD
2007 - Ford F150 FX4

When I did my swap on the 96, the guy who made my harness also included the new battery connectors for the starter/alternator, The way he had it set up was from the alternator back to the battery and from the battery to the starter. The factory has it setup so that the alternator goes into the fuse box in the engine bay to a 100 amp fusible link before going back to the battery. This is to protect the charging system if there was every a huge short while the car is running.

I don't know if your 92 will have the same setup or not but just to give you a little insight that I learned.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”