Battery drain issue

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Widman
Car: 2007 BMW335 convertible, 2011 EX35

I have had an on going issue - in the 21 months of ownership, I have had to jump start the car 5 times. After 3 battery jump starts, the local dealer replaced the battery in spite of it being fully charged. After 2 more jump starts, they had it for a week and could not find a fault. However, Infiniti did suspect that theproblem might be with the iPod cable connection, that it was in a constant power feed even when the ignition is off, and they are looking into the matter. So I have disconnected the iPod cable to see if the issue disappears. If this does not take care of the problem and they cannot address the issue, I will look to get out of my lease.

I do like so much about the car, the handling, power, comfort, conveniences but do not want my wife or I be stranded someplace where a jump start is not possible.

Any one else having this issue and have you had it corrected?

kullenberg

I had the same issue about a year ago (MY 08), and I disabled the welcome light feature and the dealer did a drain check and relaced the Bat. No problem since

sheshechu1
Car: 2003 G35 infiniti, 2008 Infiniti EX35

I have 2008 Infiniti EX35. the battery has died 3 times. Dealer has no idea why. We thought maybe it was aftermarket starter. Neither dealer or remote installer has responded to request for help. consumer affairs has done little about it either.

Widman

Since I had the same problem, my dealer told me it might be the iPod cable, when always connected to the iPod, drains the battery. They suggested I disconnect it when not using it, which I did, and have not had the problem again. The dealer said that Infiniti has not had a fix to the cable connection. I suspect that since so much time has gone by, they do not feel it to be that big a problem to issue a recall.

jamesstock
Car: 2010 Liquid Platinum/Stone Journey
Diamond Cut IR Tint

With regards to the dealer thinking the cause to be the iPod cable...if the vehicle is turned off, does your iPod still charges though? If not then likely the USB port is powered off also.

Widman

With ignition off the Infiniti, the iPod does not indicate charge. Infiniti thinks that inspite of no charge showing, there is a loop within the Infiniti that causes the battery to drain, as was explained to me. Please let me know if you find out anything else.

sheshechu1
Car: 2003 G35 infiniti, 2008 Infiniti EX35

Just came out of work and car battery was dead. Also, the valet key would not turn door lock. Had to leave car in lot because it was about to be locked. Dealer had replaced battery and claimed past times it was due to Evap system.
Really fed up with this problem. any new ideas?

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

Are you still using the same Battery from March 2010 ?

ex35tdt

I just have ipod connected for first use. After reading this thread, I immediately get to the parking from work to disconnect it. I'd rather not using it instead of keep connecting/disconnecting and fear of stranded due to dead battery.
Widman, do you also have welcome lighting enabled? I am suspected that it's the welcome lighting, not ipod. But that's just a pure guess.

jmess

The dealer should be able to connect a meter to the battery that measures current flow while the car is turned off and sitting. Nissan should have the specs for what the flow should be when the car is turned off. If the dealer can't find the problem then you need to start looking at get your EX replaced by Nissan as a lemon.

dmax
Car: EX35

I have asked the forum about using a solar panel plugged into the lighter socket to help charge the battery.

solar-charging-through-lighter-socket-c ... E#p5522436

Sadly, I did not get any useful responses. :gotme

gofast24
Car: 2009 FX50S / All Options / Black w/Wheat

The lighter socket in my FX is "off" when the ignition is off so you would have to connect it directly to the battery by going thru a hot always connection in the cars fuse box.

dmax
Car: EX35

Thank you gofast24!
I thought this would be the case.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”