Bad Versa Drivers

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
longo
Car: 2007 Versa SL, CVT

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of Versa drivers not paying attention?

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Picked this off anothr Versa Link...perhaps the caption would read.."Versa owner gives new meaning to 'Drive Through Resturant"

[IMG]<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From My Pictures</td></tr></table>[/IMG]

Modified by longo at 11:25 AM 12/5/2008

feloniousmonk

longo wrote:Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of Versa drivers not paying attention?
There are bad drivers in any make or model car. It's a matter of statistics and probability. The Versa is the most affordable car Nissan makes and one that offers ample interior space like no other. As number of cars sold increase, probability of cars being wrecked goes up as well... causing you to get the knee-jerk impression that Versa drivers are bad drivers.

rwanttaja

feloniousmonk wrote:
There are bad drivers in any make or model car. It's a matter of statistics and probability. The Versa is the most affordable car Nissan makes....
..which also means it's more attractive as a *first* car, hence the average experience level is likely to be less.

Ron

manvan
Car: versa hatch

also the blind spot is huge in my opinion

SuperTurbo

manvan wrote:also the blind spot is huge in my opinion
That's why Nissan gives you that HUGE side mirror (It's almost as large as a caravan's side mirror)

Gr8dave37
Car: 2008 Blue Onyx Versa S

What's funny to me is that all those pics posted seem to be HATCHES!!

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Gr8dave37 wrote:What's funny to me is that all those pics posted seem to be HATCHES!!
Back to statistics...there are way more hatches than sedans.I can't completely tell but the first pick looks like a sedan.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

But they are all S's, fwiw. And the blind spot doesn't seem to have been a factor in any of these collisions, either!

Knightro2

Here's another:

longo
Car: 2007 Versa SL, CVT

Hi Knightro, another Great Versa crash-pic.

If you look carefully at all the photos, you will notice one constant. The Versa front ends are all wiped out, just to the front doors.

I have seen the inside air bags deployed in all of them but the front doors still open and close.

So Nissan did something very right in the Versa crash design, the big crash shock is confined to the front clip on all these wrecks and everything from there back, survived.

Looks like a tough little car.

Knightro2

You're right. I didn't even notice that. I guess they are actually getting good at engineering the crumple zones.

Skim302
Car: Nissan Versa S

Gr8dave37 wrote:What's funny to me is that all those pics posted seem to be HATCHES!!
Thats because the hatches were so busy making fun of the sedan owners they weren't paying attention to the road. Sad but true.

Onyxblue
Car: 1990 300zx n/a, 08 Versa SL, 07 Pathfinder SE, 08 Sentra

Skim302 wrote: Thats because the hatches were so busy making fun of the sedan owners they weren't paying attention to the road

feloniousmonk

rwanttaja wrote:..which also means it's more attractive as a *first* car, hence the average experience level is likely to be less.

Ron
Exactamundo.

feloniousmonk

manvan wrote:also the blind spot is huge in my opinion
That is only a problem if you don't turn your head or use your mirrors. I have zero issues with blindspots. What I have issues with is that the car is so wide, I have problems knowing how close I am with the curb, also the rake of the windshield pillars always make me feel i'm parked crooked when the car is in fact straight; optical illusion. All minor issues.

feloniousmonk

More hatchbacks sold, so... duh.

feloniousmonk

kc5f wrote:But they are all S's, fwiw.
Again, statistics and law of probability. More cars sold in S trim because of lower cost!

BBISHOPPCM
Car: 2006 Murano S/AWD w/ Convenience Package

I have crash photos of mine on my other computer. The first car out of the 12 i've owned was my Versa. Go figure. My damage was limited to the bumper assembly itelf, not nearly as bad as those others.

Slither

Could it be an economic thing - you know people smashing before it gets repossessed..?

Slither

rwanttaja wrote:..which also means it's more attractive as a *first* car, hence the average experience level is likely to be less.

Ron
Experience doesn't necessarily make a good driver - Oldsmobile oldies...

feloniousmonk

Slither wrote:Could it be an economic thing - you know people smashing before it gets repossessed..?
What difference would that make? What you owe your lienholder isn't contingent upon what the car is worth. It's the amount you've borrowed + interest - what you've paid back.

rwanttaja

Slither wrote:
Experience doesn't necessarily make a good driver - Oldsmobile oldies...
Certainly. But I pay less for insurance on my Versa at 54 than I did on my first new car back when I was 22 (and the Versa cost about $10,000 more). Insurance companies wouldn't do that if the statistics didn't back it up....

Ron

BGW
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa / 6 speed

Manvan, I find that if the mirrors are set up correctly there is virtually no blind spot. The only complaint I have is that the passenger side mirror is probably too convex.

Bry

Slither

feloniousmonk wrote:
What difference would that make? What you owe your lienholder isn't contingent upon what the car is worth. It's the amount you've borrowed + interest - what you've paid back.

Embittered - losing everything and don't care?

rwanttaja

BGW wrote:Manvan, I find that if the mirrors are set up correctly there is virtually no blind spot.
Backing out of a diagonal parking space with cars parked to your right. The wide rear pillar on the hatchback really bites in these cases, as you can't see down the street until the rear end is starting to really stick out into traffic. One of the local towns still has diagonal parking on the main streets, which means the oncoming traffic can be approaching pretty quickly....

Ron

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

Looks like a lot of folks running into things, not stopping in time. It would be interesting to know how many of these cars were equipped with ABS.

Stopping distance in non ABS equipped Versas is terrible, compared with the ABS equipped Versas.

uglymale
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S Sedan

how does ABS improve braking distance?

i thought its just supposed to prevent the wheels from locking up when braking hard.
sooner4x4 wrote:Looks like a lot of folks running into things, not stopping in time. It would be interesting to know how many of these cars were equipped with ABS.

Stopping distance in non ABS equipped Versas is terrible, compared with the ABS equipped Versas.

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

When the wheels lock up (non ABS car), and the tires are sliding on the surface of the pavement, it takes longer to stop a vehicle.

Classic physics and coefficient of friction.

In addition, when the tires are sliding along the pavement, steering response is basically gone, making evasive manuevers futile.

Look at data published in vehicle tests. I believe consumer reports tested Versas with and without ABS.

BBISHOPPCM
Car: 2006 Murano S/AWD w/ Convenience Package

The reason the ABS cars stop better is due to electronic brake force distribution. This is a "bonus" if you buy the ABS package. There may also be differences in the calipers, pads and rotors; i.e. the ABS cars use pads and rotors from supplier X, while the non-abs cars are from supplier Y.

KimberKenobi
Car: the Camel

Knightro2 wrote:Back to statistics...there are way more hatches than sedans.I can't completely tell but the first pick looks like a sedan.
It is. If you'll notice, that's Sonoma... a color only offered in the Sedan.

Return to “Versa General Chat”