B16 Auto Climate Control Retrofit

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
alperazzoli
Car: 2.0S 6MT Sentra

Hi

I always missed an Auto Climate control in my 6spd 2.0S. Nissan really should have included that option. Here in Brazil, even the Versas offer it in the SL trim. I missed it so much that I got brave enough to try out a retrofit.

After hours studying the FSMs for the '08 Sentra, '06 Altima, and '02 Maxima, it seems to me it should be doable with little modification. Mainly because the B16's so-called "manual" climate control already is electronic, it just doesn't have the Auto functions, so the flaps and the blower already are elctronically operated via the LAN system in the car.

So, which climate control unit to use? The Maxima's climate control panel is digital and doesn't fit directly into my dash without some kinda mod. The Altima one should be an easier fit into the dash, since it is almost identical to the B16's, 3 dials and such. I could even bet it would be a straight swap.
Anyway I went with the Maxima one for 2 reasons: 1) It looks cooler and more upmarket; 2) Being digital, it can be programmed to display temp in ºC whereas the temp dial in the Altima has its scale in ºF. I can't read ºF for the life of me.
So, I'll leave the Altima unit as a fallback option.

Can anybody tell me what colour are the LED visor and button lights in the Maxima's digital Climate Control unit? I've never seen one for real, so I don't know. If they are not amber, a mod is in order so they match my car's lighting. Googled for pics but no luck, all '01 Maxima dash pics out there seem to have been taken with lights and climate off.

At the moment I've ordered all the sensors needed (sunload, Evap. intake, in-car) new, and a used '01 Maxima climate control unit. Will let you know once it arrives. Can't help the excitement.

Wish me good luck!

Cheers

alperazzoli

The Digital Climate Control Parts I ordered from US have finally arrived. Some testing is due for today. I will plug the Maxima's DCC into a 12v power source, hook up all temp sensors and run the unit's self-diagnose to check if it gets the right readings etc.

Once I finish the Projector retrofit that I've started this weekend (see post5708176.html#p5708176), I will start playing more seriously with this project. Keep an eye on this topic!

rockstarking
Car: 2008 Sentra SER Spec V

Bumppppp

Cant wait to see how this goes! I have considered doing something like this except with the newer nav system...

alperazzoli

Hey there.

Project is on hold till I finish my HID projectors retrofit. But don't despair, this will get going soon, and I can tell you that I already found solutions to most issues.

Cheers mates

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Great stuff!

Keep us posted, this will make a nice article for B16sentra.com.

rockstarking
Car: 2008 Sentra SER Spec V

AZhitman wrote:Great stuff!

Keep us posted, this will make a nice article for B16sentra.com.
I'd have to say so as well, his HID retrofit looks good for that as well!

Looks like Ill have to cook up a text based guide on getting wiring from the engine compartment/battery to the interior (It is an incredible pain).

alperazzoli

I'm almost finished with the HID projector retro and am already thinking about a couple of issues with this 'ere project:

The DCC's logic uses a few sensors, namely ambient temp sensor (already installed at least for my S trim which has a trip computer), in-car temp sensor, evaporator temp sensor, sunload sensor. Installing all of these seem to be no problem, except for the evaporator sensor. And I also have a doubt regarding the in-cabin sensor's aspirator. The sensor could theoretically be installed without the aspirator, but I reckon it isn't The Right Thing To Do™.

1) Evap sensor: I did some research, it seems our cars use an evaporator *switch*, i.e., it is a sensor and switch in its own right, therefore providing no temp signal at all. It either: a. sends a simple on-off signal to the manual A/C panel, or b. switches the compressor itself based on the temp threshold. I can't remember clearly, will have to search through the FSM again. Either way is not good for us because with the DCC, the own digital A/C panel's microcontroller decides when to switch off the compressor based on the evap's temp, which is constantly informed by the evap sensor giving different resistance readings according to the temperature. And if the factory installed switch really behaves as described above, it will have to be replaced by a sensor (I already have the Maxima's sensor ordered new from a dealer). The big problem is: it seems I will have to take off the evap to install this sensor. This is a HUGE hassle - according to the FSM, we have to remove the expansion valve and thus aircon coolant gas has to be taken off the system in order to remove the evap. Any thoughts whether it would be possible to do it without messing with the expansion valve? It would mean a trip to the $$tealer, my pocket hurts upon the very thought of it.

2) The in-cabin temp sensor works with an aspirator which sucks a very small amount of cabin air through the sensor constantly. The aspirator is mounted in a hole on the A/C airbox, and air flowing in there makes the aspirator work. I wonder what is the right spot for drilling it so that the aspirator works correctly? Anybody can give an input?

That's all for now. Waiting on your comments!

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”