B16 6spd Hesitation?

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
smash209
Car: 2007 Sentra 2.0S

I'm having an issue in my 2007 Sentra where when accelerating from a stop, I'll frequently get the car to buck once before accelerating smoothly.

I thought it was my driving technique and getting used to a new clutch, but now after owning the car several months I can see it doesn't seem to be my fault.

To avoid this from happening I have to either give a lot of gas, or let out the clutch really slowly, or both, which is slipping the clutch a lot more than I would like to.

What's interesting, is that I tried doing the "idle reset" procedure listed on this site, and after resetting and letting the car idle, it will behave for the rest of that drive (no bucking). But as soon as I turn the car off and on again, the issue starts again.

Any ideas? The only things I have tried are the idle reset and a mild cleaning of the throttle body. Do these cars have throttle position sensors?

Faja
Car: Sentra 2009

I have a 2009 2.0S and it does the same thing. Most of the time it does give a little clunk out of 1st gear and to get a smooth acceleration you do have to release the clutch slowly. I had asked the dealer if the clutch could be adjusted and they said no so I left it like that. It's not a big deal but it could definitely be smoother.

smash209
Car: 2007 Sentra 2.0S

I wonder if its just the combination of an underpowered engine and a very heavy flywheel. It sure is annoying.

What confuses me is the fact that when I do the idle reset, it is all good for that one drive. I wonder if its using a different fuel map or something.

gray07
Car: 2007 Spec-V, all options

This is a very common issue with all the new spec-v's. About 3 weeks ago there was a long thread on this already (sorry could not find it). but we discussed what it is...

There really is not much you can do about it but restart the engine and move on. I even brought my car into nissan and they could not "replicate" the issue so nithing was done about it. They told me it was because of my cold-air.. well... when I told them it was worse with the stock air intake; they of course denied that Nissan cars hesitated!!!!!

Just re-start and you should be ok. Try to get a cold air or the K&N short ram.

I think the problem is with the MAF/IAT (yes they are in one sensor) getting too hot and causing the meter to read incorrectly.

SER Wes
Car: 09 Sentra SER

Any one with the b16 stuttering/bogging/hesitation issue google
Sentra ser spec v 07+ Bogging issue Sign in sheet.
Second link down is a 28+ page thread about the issue. On page 26 you will see a format for a signin sheet that is going to be sent to nissan about the issue.

Issue is believed to be caused by the engine knock sensor being too sensitive and retarding the timing when it is set off.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Has anyone tried adding extra/better ground wires? I've seen many-a-bucking problem cured that way.

SER Wes

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:Has anyone tried adding extra/better ground wires? I've seen many-a-bucking problem cured that way.
Ppl in that thread i post about have tried grounding EVERYTHING. Like seriously lol. Grounding has made the issue less sever for them, but not helped much.

Ppl have been trying just about everything. The issue has been talked about for months and months

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yeah I forgot to mention I definitely did NOT read through those 28 pages haha. Just felt like throwing out a suggestion. Glad it helped them a little bit anyway. It would be interesting to put the car on a dyno and measure the air/fuel ratios to see if it leans out or goes rich at that point (or if its all timing).

SER Wes

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:Yeah I forgot to mention I definitely did NOT read through those 28 pages haha. Just felt like throwing out a suggestion. Glad it helped them a little bit anyway. It would be interesting to put the car on a dyno and measure the air/fuel ratios to see if it leans out or goes rich at that point (or if its all timing).
Lol i sure would not either. Guys with wideband and dataloggers have caught the problem and and the ratios stay the same. Lots of ppl thought it was part of the fuel system for a while(myself included) but keeping the same afr really says otherwise.

Not being a douch, just answering :wavey:

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Yup, you can't argue with the data.

SER Wes

I brought the sign-up sheet for this problem over here
b16-sentra-hesitation-bogging-lop-sign- ... 04287.html

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Let's make sure other Sentra owners know about this. If we can compile enough data, I have some contacts at Nissan that may be interested.

rockstarking
Car: 2008 Sentra SER Spec V

Yeah I thought it was my driving technique as well since my 08 spec v is my very first car with a manual trans but ive driven it over 2 thousand miles since i got it memorial day weekend and i dont think that could be it.
my driving skill at least...

ive noticed at almost any rpm the upshift from1st and second and sometimes 4th creates a LOT of torque steer, sometimes the car will move about 6 ore more inches going 30- 40 to one side.

I could understand that some things within the very very tiny engine compartment could get hot even with just some regular daily driving as it pops for 30 minutes and feels like a 350 degree oven after some really hard driving when you pop the hood. solution? some $4 dolla washers for the hood to space it up about 1/4" it is hardly noticible appearance wise but I had them on before IA and hadnt REALLLLLLLLLLY driven my baby to the max before Import alliance nashville (Im a local) but I pretty much did not go less than 100 mph the entire day (I got like 16-18 mpg ish that day)and lost count at redlinning 5th gear hitting the top of the 140 mph speedo. with my hood up the engine compartment never really got that hot and there wasnt much popping either.

SER Wes

^^^Torque steer for a Spec is normal. They have a stupid amount of torque for a 20k car. You aint drivin no civic.

Heat could be a big part of the issue. The qr25 runs VERY hot and with the high compression of the spec-v it gets even hotter. Right now everyone thinks that it has something to do with the knock sensor, but no one is sure if the engine is really knocking, or if the sensor is just too sensitive. I think someone should upgrade the ratiator and see if that helps. With 20-30% less heat in the bay and hood spacers to help further i think that we could prove without a doubt if heat was a factor.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Or just run a cooler thermostat. The radiator should have plenty of reserve cooling capacity.

NissanXEPIlot
Car: 95 NIssan Hardbody , 06 Nissan Sentra

I'd go with a cooler thermostat too. But stacking washers to prop the hood is a ill advised idea. Solid aluminum bushings or spacers would be the better bet. Ace hardware or Home Depot for the these items.

rockstarking

SER Wes wrote:^^^Torque steer for a Spec is normal. They have a stupid amount of torque for a 20k car. You aint drivin no civic.

Heat could be a big part of the issue. The qr25 runs VERY hot and with the high compression of the spec-v it gets even hotter. Right now everyone thinks that it has something to do with the knock sensor, but no one is sure if the engine is really knocking, or if the sensor is just too sensitive. I think someone should upgrade the ratiator and see if that helps. With 20-30% less heat in the bay and hood spacers to help further i think that we could prove without a doubt if heat was a factor.

Civic? NOOOOOO THANK YOU KIND SIR. Yes I believe there is more wheel torque than horse power...
It runs insanely hot! a quarter inch of hood spacing has made a world of difference and I recommend EVERYONE doing that! Since doing that my cats havent really been popping either even after VERY spirited driving.

I honestly would say it would be best to investigate the sensor systems and other things, such as the radiator upgrade to combat it. Nissan seems notorious for faulty sensors, eh? Great engines, but um well yeah. I had a g35 and the entire MAF/AFR systems went out and it broke down twice for them to figure out what it was... I have always heard that the knock sensor on the spec is on lines of being retardedly over sensitive... sometimes it idles odd, while sometimes it doesnt. meh. Either way, proving heat isnt a factor in it would be good as well as eliminating the rediculous amount of heat that builds up in the super tiny qr25 engine bay will help the life of the car anyways!

rockstarking

NissanXEPIlot wrote:I'd go with a cooler thermostat too. But stacking washers to prop the hood is a ill advised idea. Solid aluminum bushings or spacers would be the better bet. Ace hardware or Home Depot for the these items.

Point taken. I got them from lowe's home depot but I shall see if I can get some solid bushings/spacers and give an update or even part number to what I got for you guys!

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”