Axle-back exhaust issues??

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
csmith5888
Car: 11 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR

So im in the market for an exhaust....I know the differences between the two but can someone tell me this....

Are there any potential issues with a stock mid-pipe and aftermarket axle-back exhaust? Are the cats safe on a setup like this??

I have always purchased full cat-backs for my cars and i have come across the opportunity to purchase a borla axle-back.

Please note i will be getting a racingline y-pipe as well.

mmx23z
Car: 2008 A/C 2.5s CVT

theres no issues.... besides ur mid pipe still restricting airflow
but im pretty sure borla only comes in an axle back
i would get it especially if ur getting a deal on it! if ur not satisfied u can always go to ur local muffler shop & ask them to replace ur stock midpipe for something larger (probly 2.5) & there u have it, ur own custom borla catback... but i doubt ull feel a difference in power, sound you might tho

downedzephyr
Car: 09 Altima Coupe 3.5se

you're getting a y-pipe which will help you out in terms of power and exhaust flow, so i wouldn't be concerned dude. you really wouldn't be able to see the gains from a full catback system vs. an axelback system unless you're running a turbo setup anyways.

csmith5888

Ya i wasnt concerned about gains and exhaust flow really....just was making sure that there isnt a higher risk for cat failure in the mid pipe due to increase in air flow from the y-pipe as well as it flowing a little quicker out the back...I just wasnt sure if the stock midpipe would hold up well enough so just thought id ask.

Anyways...i have 2 deals pending currently. One for a racingline y-pipe ($200 shipped) and the borla exhaust (around $400 shipped). Both used for a little over 10k miles. Not too bad of a deal for each huh??? Hopefully they all work out. Will keep everyone posted with updates!

Jammin_Quack
Car: 2009 Nissan Altima Sedan

i personally have a tanabe axle back exhaust made ONLY for 2009 g37 coupes and fitment was the only issue but i had my local muffler shop make it happen! and it didnt add any hp, just aggressive sound (;

as far as cats & stock mid pipe.... no issue at all. (:

csmith5888

Looks like i will be getting the y-pipe first so im excited to hear that with the stock exhaust for comparison...

downedzephyr
Car: 09 Altima Coupe 3.5se

i'll be ordering a y-pipe and installing it on my a/c towards the end of summer, and it will be paired with my tanabe muffler. if i remember to i'll post the video pre/post install.

SHIFT_COUPE
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD

Borla and Y-pipe combo is amazing!

csmith5888

Y-pipe arrived yesterday...still waiting for my gaskets tho...sad day just looking at it and not being able to install :/

ordered borla...will be here end of next week hopefully

SHIFT_COUPE
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD

Good choice :) Enjoy!

Return to “Altima General Discussions”