AWD Warning Light

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
aidan1230
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Silver Ice)

Hi all,

I searched before stating a new topic and couldn't find anything about my problem...

My TPMS light came on yesterday. I checked all my tires, and one was low. I filled it up appropriately this morning on the way to work and the light went off. I suspect there may be a slow leak, but that's not my main point here.

I just left for lunch, and when I started my car, the AWD light came on. I thought I'd bumped the switch, but no. So I looked in my manual, and it said that it can come on when the tires are different diameter. It was the warning light because it didn't say "Auto" or "Lock."

What should I do? I only filled the tire to 33PSI this morning, and it is 40 degrees Farenheit outside. It is NOT overinflated. But I suspect these two issues are related somehow. It is too much of a coincidence.

I always like to ask you guys before I call the dealership, so I don't sound like a dummy. Thanks much!!

Leo2005

I think you got a problem with awd system. Take it to the dealer for a checkup. I had my tpms light on since july a way before I installed Murano rims. I took my rims off last weekend and installed 2 brand new tires on oem wheels and the light is still on. I checked the pressure and it's all good but for that problem I'm not taking it to the dealership because for me it's a minor problem. Now in your case it's different.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I agree with Leo, this is likely a problem requiring Nissan Service to diagnose. I'm sorry I don't have a suggestion for troubleshooting this on your own but if there is a problem with the AWD system or the computer system that controls it I think Nissan would be able to diagnose it quickly and save you time worrying about it.

Let us know how it turns out, I've never heard of anyone with this problem yet....

aidan1230

The light was off the next time I cranked it (heading home after work yesterday). I called the dealership anyway. They said it might be something with the sensor and that it's not something that will cause major damage if I don't get it to them until next week.

Thanks for the replies!!

philipa_240sx

There have been a couple of reports on this forum of ABS wheel speed sensor issues which the AWD system also uses.

Good luck!

lf5125
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I too am experiencing now an intermittent problem with the AWD warning light. Its now been occurring for a week -- on two separate occassions it will go on, stay on constantly and then when I turn off the engine, it disappears. Has this problem been experienced by others and if so, what is the source of the problem. Its a 2008 Nissan Rogue with approx 49,000 miles, so its out of warranty. let me know. thanks.

aidan1230

Turns out, I needed a battery. Easy fix. No idea why they think the AWD light will tell me my batter is low. :( The service department tested it when I took it in for an oil change.

It was just dumb luck that the tire was low at the same time. <--THAT ended up being a huge screw lodged in it.

Have you noticed that it seems to take a bit for the car to recognize your intelligent key when you try to crank it? Mine was doing that too. It happened over time, so I didn't really notice it until I got the NEW battery and it was SO much faster to crank.

aidan1230

Oh, and also mine is a 2008 and had about 40K miles on it as well. If you've never changed the battery, I bet that is it.

lf5125
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Aidan -- thanks, I'll have that checked. The svc department told me that it would be $99 isolation fee upfront, and then whatever was wrong with it.

aidan1230

Yes, I had to pay the diagnostic fee too. Ergh. They get ya every time.

I did price the battery somewhere else before I let them install it. Nissan did it for about $20 more than what I could have done it for. I figured it was worth the extra $20 to have it over with. And I think the warranty on the battery was pretty good too.

aykutt
Car: 04 Infiniti FX35 AWD

Hi,

I have experienced the AWD light issue. It first came up two weeks after my rear engine seal replacement. I have gone to chech ligh on Nissan Dealer, they told no issue is active at the moment. Found 45 miscommunation error on the selonoid. But they do not know the date or error so it might be for years or days. Anyway they clear the code and it was good for last 2 weeks. Then the AWD came up again. The thing is it goes on and off when you crank the engine on different times. My batter is in pretty good condition less than two years old. tire pressures are all 31 PSI cold as well. Any idea on this ? Thanks

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

A two year old battery is not necessarily a good battery. Wall mart has cheap multimeters. <$25 A multimeter is almost indispensable in diagnosing problems with any car. A fully charged battery should read 12.7-12.9v. A battery that won’t start you car in the first cold snap will read 12.2- 12.3 . That is measuring the charge while the vehicle sits in the driveway not running.

With a running vehicle you should be getting 13.8-14.5.

An AWD light could be a wheel speed sensor as pointed out above. Replacing a sensor is not difficult. Amazon has them for less than $20 vs around $100 elsewhere. I have a scanner that reads transmission, abs, srs etc. That is the first step , scan it. Find out what the computer is telling you.

gt57
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue
2014 Nissan Altima

2014 Rogue SL AWD 71,000 miles. Battery died and had it replaced at Advanced Auto Parts. Ever since, the AWD warning light comes after driving 20 feet and stays on. The tech at Advanced Auto Parts tech connected a device to my lower dash to save the memory but I don't think this worked because it immediately wanted to save a new best MPG and my HomeLink garage button is not working (assumed needs reprogrammed).

Talked with the tech and he said it might need to relearn (sounds fishy to me).

Before I take to the dealer for diagnosis, any suggestions?

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

FYI

I change battery, disconnect and clean terminals, etc.

Never had the awd light turn on.

I probably saw it legit ONCE in nearly 9 yrs at a
Stop sign when slipping in snow.

And of course when first turning key at ignition

During testing phase of warning lights,

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

casperfun wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 pm
FYI

I change battery, disconnect and clean terminals, etc.

Never had the awd light turn on.

I probably saw it legit ONCE in nearly 9 yrs at a
Stop sign when slipping in snow.

And of course when first turning key at ignition

During testing phase of warning lights,
FYI Guys - I just replaced the original battery in my 2013 Rogue. Everything works fine after resetting the clock and stuff but 2 things to note:

1. Changing the battery will wipe out your current stored info on the dash display (i.e. mpg, avg speed, etc...). The maintenance section data remains intact though (?).
2. The moment you hook up the new battery the car alarm will go off. At least it did on my 2013. I assume they did this to warn of possible theft. A hassle if you don't have your key fob handy.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

My 2009 rogue alarm never goes off when hooking a new battery.

Glad I don't have to get startled.

gt57
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue
2014 Nissan Altima

gt57 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:13 pm
2014 Rogue SL AWD 71,000 miles. Battery died and had it replaced at Advanced Auto Parts. Ever since, the AWD warning light comes after driving 20 feet and stays on. The tech at Advanced Auto Parts tech connected a device to my lower dash to save the memory but I don't think this worked because it immediately wanted to save a new best MPG and my HomeLink garage button is not working (assumed needs reprogrammed).

Talked with the tech and he said it might need to relearn (sounds fishy to me).

Before I take to the dealer for diagnosis, any suggestions?
The problem was a fuse found by the dealer. Took them awhile to find. Apparently there are two and the one they replaced was not common. The Homelink button now works without reprogramming. Can only assume it is part of the same fuse. I can only wonder if the device connected to the connector below the steering wheel did the damage.

Return to “Rogue Forum”