Aveo Bashing

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

Why anyone would even consider buying a Chevy Aveo is just beyond me. If anyone wants a car to really bash, here's your best bet for one of the worst cars in America.

Thought some folks might find this 1-out-of-5 star review of the Aveo from The Truth About Cars amusing.

Some of the reader comments from the article:Quote »Steven Lang :July 6th, 2009 at 11:21 am

Hence the reason why I always push folks towards a Versa if they’re looking for commuting on the 10k to 12k side of the world.[/quote]Quote »But then the Rio and Accent were revamped and got marginally better than the Aveo, the Yaris showed up and was definitely better, and the Fit and Versa changed the game completely. God help the Aveo when it gets cross-shopped against the Fiesta.[/quote]Thought some folks might appreciate these, too. Just search for 'Versa' on the page - there are many positive comments to be found.

Linky:http://www.thetruthaboutcars.c...-1lt/

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

So we don't like it when people bash the V, but we can readily bash an Aveo? Don't get me wrong, horrible in every sense of the word, but maybe they don't like it either and don't need someone rubbimg it in?

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

I don't care anymore, let people buy what they want if the car is rated good or bad. My opinion doesn't matter anyways...

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Guess we can be thankful the Versa didn't make it on Top Gear this past week like the Aveo did.

Ginsu
Car: White 2009 Versa SL Hatchback

Wow. I haven't read a car review like this since... well, I guess I've never read one like this before.

""Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 LT7 out of 20

£9,545

Driven September 2008

Things I would rather do than spend another weekend in a Chevrolet Aveo:

1) Staple my face to the side of a fast-moving train.

2) Watch golf.

3) Perform a rectal examination on an enraged, territorial chimpanzee.

I could go on. The Aveo really is that bad. No, not bad exactly. Bad would be OK. You could come in on Monday morning and have a laugh about how dashed funny it was when the steering rack worked itself loose at 80mph, and that the only frequency the radio picked up was the mental workings of The Stig (bleeps and the faint noise of pigeons cooing, since you ask). The Aveo is worse than bad. It’s nothingy.

By way of proof, just look at its nose. No, it’s not as ha-ha-amusingly ugly as a Subaru Tribeca. But look at the Chevy badge, wedged between the two halves of the grille. Why the hell did that end up there? You can just imagine the Chevrolet designers in their final meeting, slamming their sketch-books shut with a contented thud, and one of them piping up, “Er, guys... bad news. We forgot to put the badge on.”

Looks, of course, are subjective. You might love it. You might. But, at some point, you’d have to get in the Aveo and actually drive it. And then you’d be sad. It’s just – and here’s that word again – nothingy. Lifeless and corpulent, like a comatose publican.

I drove the 1.4-litre petrol, the performance engine in the line-up. There’s a 1.2-litre petrol too. I assume it comes with a CD of ‘Best Mournful Weeping Sounds of the 90s’. The 1.4 will hit 60mph in 12 seconds. It feels like longer. The steering is lifeless, the engine sounds crude and thrashy, and the brakes are vague. At one point, the engine stuck at about 3,000rpm, refusing to return to idle. I quite liked that.

The Aveo might have a place as a road safety measure. You end up driving slowly, just because it’s too depressing to try to push on. That said, I spent the weekend hoping someone would crash into me – not hard, you understand, no death or breaking of bones or anything, just a nice satisfying thud – because it would liven up the tedium. They didn’t.

OK, the Aveo may be rubbish, but at least it’s cheap, eh? No. No it isn’t. Our test model weighed in at £9,545. Yes, you get trinketry like heated mirrors and steering-wheel-mounted controls, but you could buy a Mazda2 for that money. Or, if you hang on a month of two, a new Fiesta. Or a new Jazz. Or, if you can’t wait that long,just walk. You’ll be happier.""

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

^ Hilarious.

Sheesh, tough crowd though. I guess the title of this thread was misleading as I didn't intend for this to be a topic to solely rail on the Aveo, as much as I did want to share that I came across some love for the Versa in the comments section to this review on The Truth About Cars.

It would seem that some folks tend to think that the Versa is the Rodney Dangerfield of its segment ("doesn't get much respect") - but when you come across multiple pro-Versa comments from non Versa owners, it seems to make you think otherwise. Just thought I'd share that.

dee_tymz_sl
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

Whenever I see an Aveo all I can think of when I see what is "I almost bought this car!"

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

dee_tymz_sl wrote:Whenever I see an Aveo all I can think of when I see what is "I almost bought this car!"
Lol, I used to love the AVEO 5 too! I thought it was the cutest little thing. I wanted a yellow one. Whenever I see one go by I still think its cute, but I am glad I never really looked too much into it.

Ryan-H
Car: 2006 Nissan Tiida ST Sedan 6 speed

iluvmyVersa08 wrote:
Lol, I used to love the AVEO 5 too! I thought it was the cutest little thing. I wanted a yellow one. Whenever I see one go by I still think its cute, but I am glad I never really looked too much into it.
Lol your lucky you got a versa, Such better value rather then some daewoo crap. Here in Australia we call the Chevy Aveo, Holden Barina. The car is such a little piece of junk and every one of these sold should include a Coffin Standard. If you crash this car, YOU WILL DIE. I saw one the other day low speed accident looked like the Barina was in a High speed accident it was so dented i would rather drive a kia or a Hyundai then the Chevy Aveo. The braking is awful and here in Australia the car has had multiple recalls for "Safety Issues" Majority of them were for the things like ABS and the Airbags in the car would not work correctly. Also the paint is awful on this car if you don't get paint protection it will start rusting in about 3 years.

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

Lol, Yes. I am super happy with my Versa. I just thought the Aveo 5 was cute, but never actually test drove it. All I knew was that I did not want to go with GM, but I still think it is cute. I'm afraid I cannot bash a car that I have never test driven, or owned, it wouldn't be fair.

Shad0wXCalibur
Car: Nissan Versa SL Sedan

Having driven an Aveo before, I can safely say that even a Cobalt, while a decent car, is not as much car as the Versa. So that puts the Aveo pretty far down...

Return to “Versa General Chat”