Auto tilting reverse mirror problem!

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
M35 Sport
Car: Infiniti M35 Sport

Okay for the last several days the passenger side mirror does whatever it wants. When I put the car in reverse (and the switch is set to the right) the mirror goes down as far as it can and then clicks about 3 times like it is trying to go further. When the car is taken out of reverse, the mirror either stays where it is or only moves back up slightly. The left mirror works just fine. I have tried reprograming it serveral times according to the manual. Any ideas? Please help. Thanks.

bdavis007
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

I am having the exact same issue, Any ideas?

cruzad3r
Car: 2006 M35x fully loaded

only IF they're still under warranty. i wonder if you have the replace the whole mirror or you can disassemble the housing and change the actuator only. if the whole outside mirror/housing is cheap, might as well do a swap.

M35 Sport

infiniti_lineup wrote:Hi M35 Sport and bdavis007,

This issue you are both describing has been discussed many times on our forum. The issue comes from the side mirror motors and can be replaced free of charge under warranty. Contact your local Infiniti service department and mention the following TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for your issue:
SB 2006 - 2010 M; Outside Mirror Actuator Inoperative

ITB09054
IF YOU CONFIRM The outside door mirror actuator is inoperative. ACTION Replace the door mirror actuator. NOTE: Do not replace the entire mirror assembly when an actuator will solve the incident, if it should occur. See this bulletin for further detail.
Good luck :D
Okay. Well my car is out of warranty. Has anyone priced this job at the dealer? I guess I'll just call them with the TSB# and ask them to qutoe the job to me. If it is more than about $200 it will probably stay broken for a while. It's just not that important to me. Has anyone fixed it themselves?

M35 Sport

Just heard from the dealership. 275 if it is just the actuator. 670 if they have to replace everything.

cruzad3r

M35 Sport wrote:Just heard from the dealership. 275 if it is just the actuator. 670 if they have to replace everything.

WOW infiniti think they're german breed now WOW

rgb129
Car: 2008 550i sport
RIP 2006 M35x

Anyone have a part number on the actuators? My drivers side is doing that.

SdotSdotS
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35 Sport

rgb129 wrote:My drivers side is doing that.
Ditto, but I didn't realize it was a problem, since my switch is usually set to the right

M35 Sport

rgb129 wrote:Anyone have a part number on the actuators? My drivers side is doing that.

X2

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Was this a standard feature in the 2006+ M's? I don't think either of mine go down and I'm still under warranty.

M35 Sport

infiniti_lineup wrote:IlyaKol -- Yes it is a standard feature. Make sure that your mirror adjustment selector is on either the right or left side and not in the center. Depending on it being on the left/right, that selected side mirror will adjust down when reversing.

Here is the information on the Actuator part number:

REQUIRED PARTS INFORMATION

Description PART # QTY
Door Mirror Pack (Actuator) LH 96368 - 8991A
Door Mirror Pack (Actuator) RH 96367 - 8991A

Enter the part numbers on http://www.infinitipartswarehouse.com/ and you will be able to purchase them for ~$50.

Also, here are the replacement directions & pictures direct from Infiniti:
**Click for zoomed in version

EXCELLENT POST!. I think I'll be doing this my self for about $50 and 45 minutes worth of my time. Thank you.

rgb129
Car: 2008 550i sport
RIP 2006 M35x

Both mirrors can be set to tilt when in reverse...the selector has nothing to do with it. Read the manual and it explains it.

Thanks for the part numbers!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Thank you for the help guys. I'm a newb right now when it comes to this car, but as with the Maxima, once I attain the knowledge, I will share it with others as need be just as you have done for me. My selection is on the center, that's why neither of them go down.

cruzad3r

infiniti_lineup wrote:
M35 Sport wrote: EXCELLENT POST!. I think I'll be doing this my self for about $50 and 45 minutes worth of my time. Thank you.
Anytime! :biggrin:
good stuff now change your avatar cuz that guy creeps me out :)

can someone plz sticky this so we can have a DYI thread? thank you

dresta2
Car: 2008 M35S

Looking for the part number for the motor actuator for my 2008 M35 Sport. Infinitipartswarehouse.com does not seem to have the actuator listed for this vehicle. I'm wondering if it is the same part as used in the QX or JX?

drtydwy
Car: 2006 M45

I ordered the part, popped my mirror open only to find my current actuator only had one connector vice the 2 on the one that ordered. I opened both actuators ( 2 similar motors in both) I had to adjust the connectors a little, but I got the 2 new motors into the old actuator. When I reconnected the actuator, the problem still occurs. I'm starting to think it's not the actuator, but something in the connection from the car going into the actuator. Something is telling the motors to keep running past where they are supposed to. Maybe the car thinks the mirror is in a different position than it actually is?

adi2coo
Car: 2006 Pearl White M45 Sport - Navigation, Technology, Rear Entertainment & Aero-dynamics package

I also have an 06 M45 and have the same issue. If you do find the correct part # for this, I'd be interested in buying it as well. Also if you end up buying it from eBay or the likes, perhaps they can knock of a few bucks if we buy multiple ones together (group purchase, if a few others want in as well?)

Adi

goomga
Car: 2008 M35X

I purchased a drivers side actuator for an 08 M35X from Infinitipartsonline.com. Cost was $57.19 plus shipping and handling of $13.25. Part number for drivers side actuator was 963688991B. It did not repair my reverse tilt problem. The dealer indicated ITB09-054a would not resolve the problem because the actuator works. Quoted me $600 for a new mirror assembly and painting. I politely declined and am still searching for the solution as well.

calidoso
Car: 2009 Infiniti M35x: 100% LED

I had this same issue today. I started to mess around with it and realized that it only starts tilting when the left/right selection is on either side. Once I set it to the center, my mirrors did not tilt when I put it in reverse. I don't know if you guys will have the same luck. But if you haven't tried it, it doesn't hurt to try it.

goomga

The center position on the mirror switch is the "neutral" position. The mirrors are not supposed to tilt when the switch is in the center position. Switch to the drivers side tilts the drivers side mirror down in reverse, passenger side mirror tilts down when the switch is moved to the right position.

calidoso

So what's the issue? If you keep it in neutral, it wont move while your in reverse. Is it suppose to move a certain way when you put it in reverse on the left or right selector? I'm a new Infiniti owner, so Im just asking.

goomga

The mirror is supposed to tilt down and in slightly to provide a better perspective of the ground and avoid hitting a curb when backing up. The mirror is then supposed to return to it's previous setting. When defective, the mirror does not tilt down correctly and it also does not return to the original setting when putting the car in drive from reverse. This requires the mirror to constantly be adjusted back to the desired setting after it tilts down. The hope for many owners experiencing the same issue was to just replace the actuator which is a 10 - 15 minute repair and a $60 part. Unfortunately, this is not solving the reverse tilt problem and the actual repair appears as though it may be very expensive ($600+) if made by the dealer. My temporary solution is to leave the mirror in the neutral setting but this defeats the purpose of having this feature.

calidoso

Oh well that explains it. Im not used to using the feature so I guess that fine with me.

Wangtang408
Car: 2006 M35

I heard that both mirrors can tilt at the same time in reverse? How do you do that? I can only tilt one side putting the switch to the desired side. If I leave the switch in the middle then none of the mirrors tilt in reverse.
Also my mirror tilts too low on reverse is there a way to adjust it?
I did not received a car owner manual when I purchase my M, apologies if these are duplicate questions.

goomga

I am not aware of this capability at least on the 2008 M35. The manual states that either the left or right can tilt down by moving the switch or no tilt by keeping the switch in the middle position. In the 2008 manual there are instructions on adjusting the tilt down feature to the drivers preference. The topic is discussed under the heading" Automatic Drive Positioner". I am not sure of this capability in the 2006. However, you can download your manual in a PDF by going to http://www.infiniti-techinfo.com/deptog.aspx?dept_id=57.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

There was a rather long thread about both mirrors tilting in reverse. One member kept claiming his M had this feature, but no other members had this feature. That member kept claiming his did it, but never accepted the challenge from the rest of us to explain how, or provide confirmation via the owner's manual.
Eventually, he quieted down and was never heard from again, LOL.
I asked my Infinit guy and he said he never heard of both mirrors tilting and neither did any of the other service reps that we asked.
It's either a head-scratcher, or just plain not true.

The00Dustin
Car: 2006 M45

Larz wrote:There was a rather long thread about both mirrors tilting in reverse. One member kept claiming his M had this feature, but no other members had this feature. That member kept claiming his did it, but never accepted the challenge from the rest of us to explain how, or provide confirmation via the owner's manual.
I asked my Infinit guy and he said he never heard of both mirrors tilting and neither did any of the other service reps that we asked.
Lots of good information on this forum, I don't know which thread Larz refers to, but I reccomend the OP review these (listed chronologically):
when-you-put-ur-car-in-reverse-while-si ... 49060.html
mirror-clicking-auto-seat-t450244.html
noob-backup-mirror-question-t506098.html
mirror-question-t543194.html
m35-side-mirror-behaving-badly-t523766.html
side-mirrors-go-crazy-when-in-reverse-t556566.html

Wangtang408
Car: 2006 M35

Larz wrote:There was a rather long thread about both mirrors tilting in reverse. One member kept claiming his M had this feature, but no other members had this feature. That member kept claiming his did it, but never accepted the challenge from the rest of us to explain how, or provide confirmation via the owner's manual.
Thanks Larz, I believe that I was reading the same thread, oh well, I don't need BOTH mirrors to tilt.
That dude was probably smoking crack and now sold his M to buy more J/K. :laugh:

er0977
Car: Nissan Maxima 2013 and Infiniti I30 1996

I know this post is old but the problem is not the actuator/motor, is the 2 black little pins with the rubber on top and on the side. take them out, clean them and it fix your problem They are just some variable resistors, when it gets dirty or humid it does not make a good contact and it does not know where it is. Push them a lot of times and it will fix your problem or take them out and clean them and it work or just see if they sell them separately and replace them.

Problem solved. I have the same issue on my Maxima 2013 and it is fix now.

I will post a video on youtube explaining it. message me if you need help with it.

goomga

Thanks er0977

Any additional information you can provide (pictures, video, tech bulletin) would certainly be appreciated. I am able to remove the mirror to get to the guts but not sure where to go from there but not afraid to tackle it.

Thanks again.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”