Audio upgrade thoughts and opinions?

All things Altima Coupe.
bigplayer2382
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe S 2.5

Alright so I came into this Audio section blindly, and now... well I'm still blind as a bat.. but I think I can now make out black and white colors.

I have the A/C 2.5S without Bose and am looking to upgrade my Audio to something very nice quality wise. Don't tell me to use the 'search' button because that's all I've been doing for the past few days!!

To start it all off, I'm thinking some Polk Audio Dxi 5250 for my door speakers and throw the tweeters in the dash. The tweeters will fit right?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI5250 ... 0&skipvs=T

Then I'm thinking a Polk Audio Dxi 690 for my rear speakers.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI690/ ... 0&skipvs=T

I would like to hook these into a Kenwood Kac-8405 720-Watt 4 Channel Amplifier..
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Kac-8405- ... enwood+amp

Now as for wiring is concerned (a pretty big question) I was told that I would be able to hook up the tweeters and door speakers to the crossover included for 2 channels, and the rear speakers to the other two channels. AND when the time comes for me to get a single 10" Sub that I don't think I want to purchase just yet, I will be able to put the cross overs and the rear speakers all on 2 channels, and bridge the other 2 channels to the sub. I was told the only thing wrong with this is that I will loose my ability to "fade" sound from front to rear.... Which I don't know of a single person who has used that in their life in a coupe.

Is this all true? Do you see any flaws? What are your thoughts on it all? Does It sound like a hell of a good set up for only $374 or what!? I would love some advice, or your concerns on the issue, remember im still pretty damn blind on the issue! thanks guys!

Brian

AlexN09
Car: 2011 Altima Coupe 2.5S

Well I have only one pair of audio outs on my head unit and my only ability to fade front to back is with gain control between channels. I actually like to fade a little towards the front.

My eventual setup will be both the front and back channels bridged to a set of components up front as well as 3.5" coaxials in the dash. The rear 6x9s will just be some efficient cheap set run off of head unit power. And I have a seperate mono amp for my sub.

I would really recommend having seperate Amps for your mids highs and your sub.

bigplayer2382

yeah, I went ahead and purchased the speakers and Amp.. I'm waiting on a sub to see what this sounds like first. Have you read anywhere on how to get into the dash to replace the small speakers up there? I've searched to no avail on that topic.

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

I've posted this before. To get to the dash speakers you need to take off the A-pillar finishers (I know for a fact this is in the FSM somewhere). Then the covers pop off. You may need to make some sort of mounting plate for the tweeters, but they should fit no problem:

bigplayer2382

I appreciate your help, but what exactly does FSM stand for? I know ill be smackin my forehead when I hear it but for the past 20 minutes I have not been able to figure it out.

AppleBonker

Field service manual:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Altima/2010/

Check the file labeled INT and then on page 13-14 I think. The file labeled AV is for the audio/video system. Page 78 should have the instructions on removing the tweeter.

bigplayer2382

thats quite possibly the best link ive been shown on these forums lol. I appreciate it! definitely,

AlexN09

Yeah I love the fsm, it answers so many questions without having to ask on the forums.

bigplayer2382

Okay, so Thursday I'm going to hook it all up, I'm just verifying that this is the correct wiring way right?

AppleBonker

Appears correct from here. I don't see the ground wire from the amp, but I'm assuming you just forgot it in this diagram.

bigplayer2382

oh s*** yeah, lol sorry the ground wire to the amp will deffo be there lmao

bigplayer2382

okay so I've ran into a pretty major problem. Ive installed and ran the front woofers and tweeters into the cross overs and wired that all the way back to the trunk (both sides). I also installed the rear speakers (i was shocked how how complete garbage the stock ones were in comparison) and wired that. Now at the trunk I have all the wires I need to hook up to the amplifier, BUT I have one problem...... the head unit doesn't have RCA's to go into my amplifier....

I've done alot of searching and found some threads but it wasn't answered. The back of the stock head unit looks like this,

If you have any idea on how to hook up an amplifier to the stock head unit, PLEASE, inform me.

I brought it to a near Audio shop and they sold me a $20 harness which apparently tells me what wires are which. (example: 3rd white wire over is Left Front speaker (+) and 4th black wire is Left Front speaker (-) .....) Now From what I understand I'm supposed to CUT, the wires as they come out of the head unit and attach them to my own wires and run it back to the amplifier and hook them up into a 8 wire plug that came with my Amplifier.

This is my poorly drawn example. Gray = the crimp .. Red = wire I insert, and the yellow/blue wires are just my attempt of drawing the wires coming from the head unit extended.

I REALLY don't want to screw anything up (cutting wise) and have to bring it to the dealership to get a whole new wiring harness put in because I acted and didn't research. Thanks for any help!!

AppleBonker

Looks about right. If you go back to the AV section of the FSM it will definitely show which wires go to where. That will make it easier to confirm you're tapping into the correct ones. You can also get to the rear speakers easily in the trunk, so I'd tap into those at that location. Check the FSM over the booklet that came with the adapter (I'd trust the FSM for sure).

The adapter you need is a LOC (Line-Out Converter). It will take the speaker-level signal and convert it to RCA.

I was going to respond yesterday, but my ISP decided to screw up my connection and it took a while to come back on.

AlexN09

It sounds like your amp has a built in Line Out Converter (LOC). SO yes the audio shop was correct, you need to wire the speaker outputs from the stock head unit all the way back to the harness that came with your amplifier. Then if you need another amp you should be able to use the RCA outs from the amp you have now.

bigplayer2382

edit: never mind, super glue = amazing.

I ordered a part off amazon which SHOULD help me out ALOT so I don't have to splice 8 different wires and run them to the back and stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EA ... 00_s00_i00

It will get here tomorrow, ill install it and keep ya updated!

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”