ATTN NICO ECU FANS!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Well I am proud to say that we currently have the ability to offer a 4 way upgrade for anyone who currently has a NICO ECU...

As most of you know, the 2 way ECUs come with the standard Stage II and Stage III programs, which is a great option for many people. However we now can offer an ECU with 4 programs, which include Stock, Stage II, Stage III and Valet. For those who don't know, when the valet program is selected it limits the engine RPM to 3000 and limits the top speed to 60 MPH.. Pretty cool little program if you don't want to worry about those dang valet's or grease monkeys hot rodding your car!

For those who currently have a 2 way ECU, the upgrade cost is $100

I don't think I've mentioned much about ECUs recently, so for those who are new to the site here is the breakdown.. The NICO ECU is a plug and play ECU that gives your car 30+ more HP over stock, and is compatible with all 90-95 cars with the VH45DE. Our ECUs are unique in that they offer the ability to switch between multiple programs...

The way I usually sell ECUs is I will send an ECU out to you that is ready to go, you plug it into your car, and then you send me back a working stock ECU.

Here is a quick breakdown of the ECU programs we offer on most models.

Stage II- This is like a stock replacement except gains about 30HP over stock. It requires you run 91 octane all the time, and provides the same level of safety built in to the stock program..

Stage III- This is a step above stage II. It removes some of the safety built in, requires you run 91 octane, but will give you roughly a 10HP boost IN ADDITION to stage II (so about a 40HP increase overall).. This is the program I currently use in my Q, and thats where it is 99% of the time.

The standard 2 way ECU, which is $250 + $100 core deposit. This usually includes Stage II and Stage III programs

The standard 4 way ECU is $350 +$100 core deposit. This typically includes stock, stage II, stage III and valet.

NOTE that I cannot accept 94-95 ECUs as cores. If you have a 94-95 car, the NICO ECU will still work perfectly however it is not feasible for me to use 94-95 ECUs. Again, I have a 1994 Q and the ECU in my car is from a 1991 car and it works perfectly, just how you would expect it to..

Also note that if you decide you want to try the 2 way ECU first, we will gladly reprogram the ECU again for the additional $100. We are doing it this way to be fair to everyone who bought ECUs prior to offering 4 way ECUs so that everyone gets them for the same price.

I have been selling these ECUs for quite a few years now and have had extremely successful results. Even if you do not drive your car hard, you will notice a slight increase in fuel mileage, and you will also notice that in daily driving acceleration is much more effortless! This upgrade is hands down the best upgrade for the money that you can do to your car!

Use the contact info on http://www.q45.org to get ahold of me!!!

ShortSeason
Car: 1992 Q45 (Oct 2010 80k Miles)

Wes...

"Stage III- This is a step above stage II. It removes some of the safety built in, requires you run 91 octane"

What safety is removed?

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

ShortSeason wrote:Wes...

"Stage III- This is a step above stage II. It removes some of the safety built in, requires you run 91 octane"

What safety is removed?
Basically it advances the timing a bit more under load, it ignores the o2 sensors at high RPM.. there have been cases (maybe 2-3 out of 100's?) where people have experienced mild detonation with the stage III program, primarily in very hot weather when the engine is very hot as well, like in traffic with the AC on..

I have never switched my ECU off of stage III other than to demonstrate the other programs to someone else, and Ive had the ECU in my car for about 4 years now, so for 99% of driving I would say its safe.. :) But thats also why we include the stage II with it, so in the very unlikely event there is an issue, you simply switch to stage II and you are all good.

paranoidjack
Car: 2012 M56s
2003 M45
2001 QX4
2000 Q45
1998 Pathy
1996 J30

elwesso wrote:
ShortSeason wrote:Wes...

What safety is removed?
Basically it advances the timing a bit more under load, it ignores the o2 sensors at high RPM.. there have been cases (maybe 2-3 out of 100's?) where people have experienced mild detonation with the stage III program, primarily in very hot weather when the engine is very hot as well, like in traffic with the AC on..

I have never switched my ECU off of stage III other than to demonstrate the other programs to someone else, and Ive had the ECU in my car for about 4 years now, so for 99% of driving I would say its safe.. :) But thats also why we include the stage II with it, so in the very unlikely event there is an issue, you simply switch to stage II and you are all good.
97-01!!!!!!!! (would be great)

flyingbrick

thanks for the E-mail Wes, but please be comprehensive as to what has been done to the ecu.

EG, I've read that the RPM limit has been raised, yet this is not mentioned here.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

RPM limiter rasied up to 7300 rpm, fuel mixture leaned out a bit, and the timing has been advanced. Obviously stage 3 is a bit more aggressive than stage 2

tmorgan4
Car: 2000 Pathfinder

Is it possible to get rid of any un-needed functions (like EGR and IAC) so I don't have check engine lights with all of this equipment removed?

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I can remove EGR functionality, however the IAC not being hooked up shouldn't throw a CEL.

nissman77
Car: Skyline r32 with vh41de

Just wondering can you do an ecu from a JDM VH41de??? I used VH45de wiring diagram to wire up the VH41 ecu and the pinouts appear the same and i think the connectors may even be the same. I am putting the VH41 in an Australian R31 skyline with a Z32 5sp and would really benefit from ecu reprogram.

qsiguy
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo

VH41 is OBDII isn't it? If so, no, we cannot do anything with that ECU at this time.

Lokim
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 acquired 4/25/10 w/192K
Now at 222K and going strong!

So, can I just send you $350 for a stage II/III unit? I don't have an 8-bit ECU to send in...

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

That is correct. I buy a bunch of core ECU and you are not required to return them if you don't want to. Like I said the way I usually do the ecu is I send an ecu out and then you can send a core back after you are satisfied with the product.

DRFTBLD
Car: 89 S13 VH45DETT
05 Ford F-150 Drift Support
91 S13 Tester
08 Ford Focus

So what are your thoughts on running one of your ECU's on a Twin Turbo VH45? Do you think it would be able to handle it?

ericthered
Car: Past: 06 M35x, 94 Q45t, 92 Q45, 91 Q45 w/HICAS
old nico name: JedCoop

I am still happily running one of the very early NICO ECUs. Single stage. I might be the only person to successfully install the chip myself using professional tools. I really love the lower RPM threshold for the CAM timing advance.

If you aren't sure, just do it!

Q451990owner
Car: 1990 Q45 w/86,000 miles that was sitting 10 years

I can't justify spending more than $100 on a chip as this car is so old and demand for chips is approaching zero. So if anyone wants to sell theirs for $100 I am interested.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Q451990owner wrote:I can't justify spending more than $100 on a chip as this car is so old and demand for chips is approaching zero. So if anyone wants to sell theirs for $100 I am interested.
That's not really true, lots of people are still using these engines in other cars... Compared to 5 years ago, demand has slowed a little bit but I still move enough units to make it worth the time....

I highly doubt you'll find anyone to sell you one for $100, hell it costs me more than $100 to make each one!

BCC93QT
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45

Q451990owner wrote:I can't justify spending more than $100 on a chip as this car is so old and demand for chips is approaching zero. So if anyone wants to sell theirs for $100 I am interested.
The amount of money you have thrown at your Q getting it running and you cannot spend $250 on an ECU? Even 10$ a hp is unheard of with basically any vehicle these days.

dbdkemp
Car: 1994 Q45t

I think I saw you mention dyno runs. Can you post up pics of the 4 modes and how they affect the dyno chart?

I am interested in a ECU either way but I'm a visual learner so the chart would help.

Thnx

Also sounded like you can do some custom modification like deleting the EGR... any other options available?

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I don't have a dyno chart, however we do know that on a dyno you can expect at least 40HP over stock.

The dyno chart only tells a small part of the story. The driveability you get even not at WOT is very noticeable.

We can do EGR delete, but I wouldn't recommend doing that for Q owners.. Really the "standard" ECU the way I do it works the best for about 98% of owners.

SpdMongrel
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45

Is the single stage ECU available? Yes... old thread revival.. :biggrin:

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

No, we don't offer the single stage ECU, primarily because we can make a 2-way ECU for so little extra, with the added benefit of having 2 programs to choose from, we don't offer a single tune.

Maybe another way to look at it.... We would charge the same amount for a single stage versus a 2-way, so why would anyone get a single?

SpdMongrel
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45

Was just asking.... Wasn't familiar with the price difference. I will be interested in getting one of these once I get all my other issues sorted. Still a little too sluggish from what I assume it should be.

reyreynaldo
Car: 1995 vh45de 240sx

elwesso wrote:Well I am proud to say that we currently have the ability to offer a 4 way upgrade for anyone who currently has a NICO ECU...

As most of you know, the 2 way ECUs come with the standard Stage II and Stage III programs, which is a great option for many people. However we now can offer an ECU with 4 programs, which include Stock, Stage II, Stage III and Valet. For those who don't know, when the valet program is selected it limits the engine RPM to 3000 and limits the top speed to 60 MPH.. Pretty cool little program if you don't want to worry about those dang valet's or grease monkeys hot rodding your car!

For those who currently have a 2 way ECU, the upgrade cost is $100

I don't think I've mentioned much about ECUs recently, so for those who are new to the site here is the breakdown.. The NICO ECU is a plug and play ECU that gives your car 30+ more HP over stock, and is compatible with all 90-95 cars with the VH45DE. Our ECUs are unique in that they offer the ability to switch between multiple programs...

The way I usually sell ECUs is I will send an ECU out to you that is ready to go, you plug it into your car, and then you send me back a working stock ECU.

Here is a quick breakdown of the ECU programs we offer on most models.

Stage II- This is like a stock replacement except gains about 30HP over stock. It requires you run 91 octane all the time, and provides the same level of safety built in to the stock program..

Stage III- This is a step above stage II. It removes some of the safety built in, requires you run 91 octane, but will give you roughly a 10HP boost IN ADDITION to stage II (so about a 40HP increase overall).. This is the program I currently use in my Q, and thats where it is 99% of the time.

The standard 2 way ECU, which is $250 + $100 core deposit. This usually includes Stage II and Stage III programs

The standard 4 way ECU is $350 +$100 core deposit. This typically includes stock, stage II, stage III and valet.

NOTE that I cannot accept 94-95 ECUs as cores. If you have a 94-95 car, the NICO ECU will still work perfectly however it is not feasible for me to use 94-95 ECUs. Again, I have a 1994 Q and the ECU in my car is from a 1991 car and it works perfectly, just how you would expect it to..

Also note that if you decide you want to try the 2 way ECU first, we will gladly reprogram the ECU again for the additional $100. We are doing it this way to be fair to everyone who bought ECUs prior to offering 4 way ECUs so that everyone gets them for the same price.

I have been selling these ECUs for quite a few years now and have had extremely successful results. Even if you do not drive your car hard, you will notice a slight increase in fuel mileage, and you will also notice that in daily driving acceleration is much more effortless! This upgrade is hands down the best upgrade for the money that you can do to your car!

Use the contact info on http://www.q45.org to get ahold of me!!!
I tried to find your contact info on the q45 site with no luck. I would like a stage 3 ecu if you still sell these. please let me know. thanks

xKnownShadowX
Car: 94 Q45a

I been looking into getting the stage II and stage III ECU. But now that you mentioned you can't take the 94-95 ECU as a core that puts me in a situation. :bang I will contact you though if I come around for the extra $100.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

I do have a 16 bit Robert Bowen ECU for 91 octane if anyone wants it.

Robert is the originator of the now known as NICO ECU.

PM me if you are interested.

xKnownShadowX
Car: 94 Q45a

maxnix wrote:I do have a 16 bit Robert Bowen ECU for 91 octane if anyone wants it.

Robert is the originator of the now known as NICO ECU.

PM me if you are interested.
interested but for some reason idk how to pm or i can't. pm me specs etc thanks.

twoeightythreez
Car: 1994 G50; 1995 Caprice wagon; 1969 Buick sportwagon

I'll take mine as a two way but have a few requests if possible
1)- Can the knock program just be the current 1994 stock maps? I've never heard detonation and I have relocated my knock sensors (long story)
2)don't allow input from TCU to retard timing it's annoying to feel engine run out if breath when it shifts gears. I know how to let off the gas a bit if shift is delayed.
3) I have intermittent EGR function code (32) but everything tests fine when I test it, bane of intermittent problems lol. I don't want to eliminate it but just make it so it doesn't trigger the light.
4) please put the diagnostic pot on a cable so I can mount the pot to a bracket that is accessible without pulling uber rare, old, fragile plastic trim off every time I want to pull codes.
Thank you!

branscoset
Car: 1991 Q45 on coil overs and 18" 350z rims

Are these still being made? I would be interested in one if so..

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Yep, send me an email... my contact info is on www.q45.org

twoeightythreez
Car: 1994 G50; 1995 Caprice wagon; 1969 Buick sportwagon

I just put in my nico ecu.
Tje difference is so profound, i wonder if something was wrong with my stock ecu!
The car starts and idles way better.
Part throttle response is so improved that for the first few miles i kept creeping up on traffic.
With the stock program, the car felt sluggish pulling from a stop, now the car feels like it lost 1000lb.
Full throttle doesnt feel all that different but thats to be expected (40hp isnt gonna do much in a 4400lb car as driven, after all)
Its the area under the curve that is much improved, the car now feels eager to go where before you had to force it to go.
All the part throttle surging is gone, it pulls like a freight train, you know, that feeling of endless effortless power....which is most noticeable when driving easy.
I do have code 46 so i must have gotten a tcs ecu, no issue there :)
I dont really feel any difference between the two modes, its that refined.
I will keep you posted but im positive my gas mileage will go up quite a bit, im good at maximizing mileage, and with so much better throttle response ill be able to drive even smoother. The way it feels i am willing to bet ill be able to achieve at least 18mpg overall and i primarily drive in town.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”