Are replacing rotors/pads routine for shops?

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
diecast
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 2.5 (Adriatic Blue)
2010 Infiniti G37x (Aspen Pearl)

Hi all,

I got some quotes from a couple of shops that quoted me $430 CDN for replacing the pads and rotors. The thing is, one of them deals with Infiniti tier cars but is at an inconvenient location, the other shop seems to service all types of cars but is in the same city. Are replacing rotors/pads pretty routine for any kind of car servicing shop? I want to do it right but not sure if it's a pretty simple procedure.

My 2010 G37x sedan recently got serviced at an Infiniti dealership. It's at about 87,000 Km, and they said my rear pads need changing (3mm) and rotors need servicing/grinding, costing a total of $460 CDN.

Thanks!

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

That kind of brake work is as common as it gets. Any shop should be able to do it.

Be careful about them selling you something you don't need - like replacing rotors if there is enough material left. Also assuming there is no warpage on the rotors and they aren't grooved you may not need to turn them. Check out Tire Rack for decent prices on both pads and rotors.

diecast

Starter wrote:That kind of brake work is as common as it gets. Any shop should be able to do it.

Be careful about them selling you something you don't need - like replacing rotors if there is enough material left. Also assuming there is no warpage on the rotors and they aren't grooved you may not need to turn them. Check out Tire Rack for decent prices on both pads and rotors.
Thanks, Starter. I'll now definitely ask them to assess and let me know before they go ahead with any replacements. I'm thinking of going to the closer shop that does all cars - is there a particular brand of non-oem pads/rotors I should mention or look out for?

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

diecast wrote:
Starter wrote:That kind of brake work is as common as it gets. Any shop should be able to do it.

Thanks, Starter. I'll now definitely ask them to assess and let me know before they go ahead with any replacements. I'm thinking of going to the closer shop that does all cars - is there a particular brand of non-oem pads/rotors I should mention or look out for?
Depends on the driving you do. Just driving around most any brand will be OK. For a little more spirited driving I like the Akebono pads. (they are OEM too). For even more vigorous driving there are a number of aftermarket rotors available including either grooved or drilled ones. They look cool but you will never drive fast enough, long enough on the street to see any advantage. There are plenty of brands of high performance pads too. I'd stay away from any that aren't all ceramic. The metallic and combo ceramic/metallic tend to eat rotors - not to mention a fair amount of noise and lots of dust.

diecast

Starter wrote: Depends on the driving you do. Just driving around most any brand will be OK. For a little more spirited driving I like the Akebono pads. (they are OEM too). For even more vigorous driving there are a number of aftermarket rotors available including either grooved or drilled ones. They look cool but you will never drive fast enough, long enough on the street to see any advantage. There are plenty of brands of high performance pads too. I'd stay away from any that aren't all ceramic. The metallic and combo ceramic/metallic tend to eat rotors - not to mention a fair amount of noise and lots of dust.
In a month, this car will be used mainly for leisure (it was used for commuting the past year). But when I do drive it, there are moments where I like to have a little fun. Nothing crazy though.

I will also make a note to mention we want the all ceramic pads.

Thanks!

diecast

Got some info back from the auto shop, but only spoke to the receiptionist/administrator.

For pads they go with all ceramic Wagner ones, and rotors they have Lordco rotors for about $99 or Kiriu vented rotors for $125ish.

What do you guys think?

diecast

Any additional thoughts on the brands of the pads and rotors? I really could use some opinions.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Replacing pads and rotors is as simple as removing two bolts holding on the caliper.

Personally I like StopTech rotors. For daily driving most people seem to like Hawk pads. Contact Mike at http://www.tunerzstore.com for pricing as he's my go-to vendor and trustworthy.

diecast

Thanks, audtatious. I had to take it in before I heard back from here. We only had to change the pads in the end, so went with some standard ones. I will keep your suggestion in mind for next time!

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”