are red license plate lights legal?

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
big_rig
Car: '09 nissan altima coupe 2.5s '88 bmw E30 '93 zj jeep

pretty much asked my question in the title. i know that red lights on a vehicle have to be facing the rear, but im not sure how the license plate lights fall in to this

rcboy514
Car: 2013 VW Golf TDI 4dr 6-speed
2008 A/C 3.5 CVT (sold)
2004 BMW 545i V8 >:-)
1991 BMW 535i I-6

I'm not a 100% sure, but I was always under the impression that you can't use blue or red lights on the outside of your car while driving. I may be wrong, but throckmorton will correct me lol

Plus i wouldn't think that red lights would put out enough light to show the license plate :confused:

insaneturbo13
Car: 2009 nissan a/c 2.5se red, medium tint, center console lights, ac vents, avic-u310bt, pioneer sub/amp 800 watts,

rcboy514 wrote: Plus i wouldn't think that red lights would put out enough light to show the license plate :confused:
i think this would be the biggest problem, even if they did light it up good enough, the cops would disagree...

dflane39
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 SE V6

In Washington State, you can have red lights in the rear.....before my Altima, I had a licence plate frame on the back of my Corolla that lit up red when you hit the brakes....no problems from the cops because it was hooked into the brake lights....

big_rig

so i take it that the penalty is pretty much a fix it ticket?

mrodrig2
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT

Google this: "your state" + "vehicle code" + "color" + "lights/lamps"

A link to your state's vehicle code should come up and it will have the answer you are looking for.

big_rig

well it looks like the red lights are illegal

License Plate Lamp

24601. Either the taillamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear license plate during darkness and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. When the rear license plate is illuminated by a lamp other than a required taillamp, the two lamps shall be turned on or off only by the same control switch at all times.
Amended Ch. 1313, Stats. 1965. Effective September 17, 1965.

but what i dont get is, they say if there are two lamps, they have to be operated by the same switch. so if i put one red light and one white light in, that could be arguably legal, in a loophole sort of way? or if i keep my standard oem lights, and hook up an aftermarket setup for the red lights, i should be in the clear, as long the plate can be seen from 50' away?

J Wizzo
Car: 2008 Altima SE Coupe

been answered, but blue and red lights are illegal in any state. unless they are brake lights.

big_rig

J Wizzo wrote:been answered, but blue and red lights are illegal in any state. unless they are brake lights.
i run a warehouse, so i talk to a lot of truckers and they have LOTS of lights. i was told that red lights are okay as long as they are rear facing. we had a discussion one day because one guy had red lights facing forward on his truck, but they ended up being rendered inoperable. im going to talk to a CHP DOT officer and get the lo'down on this sitch. i really dont see an issue with this other than a reason to pull the said vehicle over to inspect for other more serous problems. i mean, if the license plate is visible from 50 or more feet and illuminated, whats the big deal?

i was also reading up on rear facing red lights and they are legal in sever weather conditions i.e. fog, heavy rain, snow, ect. but they must have a definite on and off switch and the lights have to be positioned in a certain manner.

i know that we have already established this as being illegal and i feel like all the research i am doing, after the fact, is like beating a dead horse lol.

mrodrig2
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT

That second line simply says what you also interpreted: If you have more than one light illuminating your license plate, they have to both be on the same switch whether its OEM or not doesn't specify. Regarding color of that second lamp, it doesn't say in what you quoted.

Regarding the rear lamps, the difference is that their red rear lamps are required for visibility of the truck and not explicitly for illuminating the license plate. When trucks have a extra lights they are usually at key positions that outline areas that extend further out than a normal vehicle.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”