Apparetly my car got the service bulletin fix but my 1st to second shift is HARD

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
sixteenXnine
Car: 2000 GLE and 2000 GXE

So I took my car to the dealer as I was still under warranty.

He takes it to two places, which run tests and declare that there's nothing wrong with my tranny.

Whatever.

The gf's '00 GLE with 82k shifts smooth 1-2 (AT) at 6000-6100k... mine hangs at 6500 for a while and then BOOM...

It sucks, makes me kinda hatedriving my maxima.

Dealer says "it's just something Maximas do".

He gave me some graph from one of the Nissan dealerships.... four pages of graphs that I know nothing about. I'll scan them tomorrow and post them here.

But wtf. I want my car to drive like my gf's GLE. Mine's the same year, same mileage... grr.

What do you guys think? Apparently the lemon law here in NY State makes it so I can't have any transmission work done unless the tranny has actually stopped the car from working or has actually fallen out of the car.

Fine. Whatever. I want it fixed, and like now.

Has anybody here also run into this problem?

Thanks in advance guys .

allensteiner
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima GLE, 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE

i have a 95 with about 200k and shifts a little hard between 1st and 2nd before the tranny warms up, after that it's smooth. change your fluid and filter - might help. is your fluid level low/high? what's it look like? or might be the tranny control module. i hate transmissions...

sixteenXnine

What's my tranny fluid capacity? I have a catch an but don't want it to overfill.

I'm gonna replace the fluid and filter.

Weird thing; I really stomped on the car yesterday, on all shifts. And somehow once the car warmed up, it started to shift from 1st to 2nd at 6000-6200rpm... much smoother.

So hopefully after the fluid and filter change the smoothness might stay.

McSteve
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

try installing a grounding kit, i heard that can help with the shifts

sixteenXnine

Did a drain and refill along with a filter change yesterday. No immediate change in shifting behavior, maybe it will take time. Each magnet was covered in sludge and there were some metal filings on one corner of the filter. Lol there was also a washer, a very small one, stuck to a magnet. Couldn't find out where it went to.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”