Anyone use Copart.com to buy cars?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Jesda

I first heard about the site eight years ago when it was mostly an auction site for dealers looking to buy salvaged vehicles to rebuild or part out. Last year they opened it up to the public and now they sell a lot of undamaged vehicles that run (they put them in gear and verify that they move). I'm tempted to bid on a 2000 Blazer with 74,000 miles, ends in two hours.

Please opine.

hachiroku781
Car: 1997 Nissan Maxima GXE

are you able to verify that the car is running and up to your standards? such as are you able to opt out of the bidding apon viewing the car? I tend to stay away from online auction forums, unless i can see the car personally. But hey i would def go for a blazer with 74,000. ( oh i see im a tad bit late for an opinion)

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

I've spent a bunch of time browsing, as you probably already know, but I've never bought anything on there.

I've bought from Adesa dealer auctions online though. No surprises, but they don't list the good high-margin stuff (older cars) online.

Jesda

There are a few vehicle inspection services listed on the site. The cars are listed long before they go on the block so you have time to send someone to look, supposedly.

I went to the fish market and forgot about the Blazer. Oops.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I didn't realize they opened up auctioning to the public. However, I worked with them closely in the insurance biz and they pretty much deal with insurance salvage. I'd reckon that any complete car in relatively good condition was likely a theft recovery (that occurred after the settlement was made with the insured). Most will probably be in decent shape, and depending on how the vehicle was stolen, may require some minor repairs (locks, ignition, etc). In a few cases, I've seen theft recoveries that resulted in having a bunch of hypodermic needles and used condoms left all over. Typically a theft by a couple of junkies (Could have also been occupied by junkies once the car theif abandons the vehicle as well) and/or a situation where a junkie allows their car to be "borrowed" by a dealer or someone else in exchange for drugs. There are just some theft recoveries that I would never want back. These types of situations aren't the norm for recoveries, but I would attempt a personal inspection before buying any recovered theft. Hell, I would personally inspect ANY car I am considering.

Flicktitty
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx 2JZ-GTE Swapped
1994 Toyota Supra
2019 Lexus GX460
1992 Lexus SC400

as far as i know, you still have to be a dealer/rebuilder to be able to buy ANY car on that site.

But there are a few select car's that are open to the public.

rc1honda
Car: 1992 240 sx
2007 BMW 335xi
2008 Honda CBR1000RR

C-Kwik wrote: In a few cases, I've seen theft recoveries that resulted in having a bunch of hypodermic needles and used condoms left all over. Typically a theft by a couple of junkies (Could have also been occupied by junkies once the car theif abandons the vehicle as well) and/or a situation where a junkie allows their car to be "borrowed" by a dealer or someone else in exchange for drugs.
Since when do junkies use condoms lol.

zncus
Car: Honda CRV

I used Copart twice. The first time I bought a Honda Civic Vx. It was a salvage car. By the time I paid all the fees, transport costs, time and money to fix the car, it turned out to be a below average deal. I did not loose money. I basically broke even on the deal.
The second time I bought a Chevy Metro. Again, this was a salvage car. The ad stated that it was in an accident and the damage was on the left rear portion of the car. When it arrived, I was speechless, shocked and dismayed. There was nothing and I mean nothing salvageable on this car. Every single system on this car was shot. Then engine and transmission had to be rebuilt. The brakes were shot. The air bags were missing. The air conditioning condenser was ruined. The widow tracks were shot. The engine and transmission were covered with some kind of substance that in some places was a inch deep. Even something as simple as the break reservoir was cracked and had to be replaced. I could go on and on, but I will simply tell you that four out of five cars sent to a junk yard are in better condition than this car.
All of this damage did not show up in the pictures, nor was there any mention of this damage in the add. In fact it was advertised as a “Runs and Drives” car.
For those who think I got what I deserved, I say you are absolute correct. I took the risk and I lost. It's as simple as that.
Anyone contemplating purchasing a vehicle from Coparts has two choices. 1- Personally inspect the car to verify it is salvageable, or 2 – DO NOT BUY IT.
Copart will sell anything and describe it a salvageable car, even if they have to haul it out of a junk yard!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Why are you looking at Blazers?!

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

Zombie thread anyone?

Jesda

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Why are you looking at Blazers?!

wileyone

Copart is not a bad place to purchase vehicles but just be careful and do your homework. Many shady dealers place vehicles in salvage auctions. Some of these are partially put back together to make them look good for the internet photos. We use www.salvageresearch.com They will help you by finding these shady dealer cars. Go to their site and see some of the examples.......and I think they have a :wtf2: page.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I have a friend who buys vehicles at Adesa and Manheim. I occasionally go with him to retrieve some of his purchases, but never anything at CoPart. As far as buying running vehicles from them, seems like uncharted territory. It would be interesting to hear what you find out .

Return to “General Chat”