anyone take a cas apart?

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
krayton

Installing aems new cas wheel.

For the life of me I cannot get the center section off. The one with all the splines in it. It has a pin it. Im not sure if I can hit it off.

One side has a bigger pin so I assume that the slightly smaller side needs to be pushed out. I hit harder, but it doesnt budge. Feels like im gonna break it soon.

Anyone?

neonbomb

We tried to take a 300zx one apart to rebuild a r34 one, no dice.

krayton

http://www.alien2nrs.com/blog/....html

heres some pics. you can see the pin pulled out. i just cannot get mine out

eh?

I was afraid of bending the shaft when I tried to remove the small pin with a hammer and pin punch. What I ended up doing is taking a needle nose vicegrip and cracking loose the two small retainer screws. You may have to press out the shaft after removing the screws ( I can't remember). If you remove the black rubber center piece on the front of the cas you'll be able to see the end of the shaft to press it out. That will enable you to remove that portion of the shaft and you'll be able to get to the wheel. I reinstalled the same way with the vicegrip too, just added a bit of loctite on the screws for insurance. I haven't had any issues since.

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

krayton wrote:http://www.alien2nrs.com/blog/....html

heres some pics. you can see the pin pulled out. i just cannot get mine out
Interesting, Now I can say that I have read Finnish!

jdmser
Car: duh

If you can get the small screws out to remove the shaft from the body you can put the shaft in a vise. Take the o-ring off and heat it with a propane torch and the pin comes out much easier. I'm not sure if I would try to heat it while still connected to the sensor though. You could also drill it out and replace it with an allen screw or roll pin.

krayton

eh? wrote:I was afraid of bending the shaft when I tried to remove the small pin with a hammer and pin punch. What I ended up doing is taking a needle nose vicegrip and cracking loose the two small retainer screws. You may have to press out the shaft after removing the screws ( I can't remember). If you remove the black rubber center piece on the front of the cas you'll be able to see the end of the shaft to press it out. That will enable you to remove that portion of the shaft and you'll be able to get to the wheel. I reinstalled the same way with the vicegrip too, just added a bit of loctite on the screws for insurance. I haven't had any issues since.
think im getting it. so you took it apart the other way basically? instead of going the front way through the shaft. you went through the back? (the front of the cas)

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

I'll try to find the link to a write up I came across that shows how to take them apart.

However, there are 2 kinds and one can not be taken apart, you'll end up damaging the sensor.

krayton

Coolwhip wrote:I'll try to find the link to a write up I came across that shows how to take them apart.

However, there are 2 kinds and one can not be taken apart, you'll end up damaging the sensor.
sweet...but not really?

im thinking cant take mine apart now...****.

so u guys wanna save me again and overnight me a cas i can take apart?

tune is scheduled for monday

Coolwhip
Vendor

shoot me an email, might be able to help you out.

krayton

just showing mine. the pin i cant get out

edit: also anyone know if a 300zx one works? figuring as long as it bolts up since im switching the disks and changing the settings in aem anyways

BoostFab
Car: S13cp, S13fb, S14z

yeah i had to take a part the rb cas to swap out the trigger disc with one from the z31 for my haltech e6k; it's a pain.. .the center bearing is very tight, also you need to press out the pin, take your time. you can pull it off with a vice, but it'll be tricky.

krayton

been trying that. ill keep going. feels like its not budging at all.

def a 3 hand job.

BoostFab

try tapping it out w/ a punch or something that's the size of the pin.

see this post and it may help you with that task: http://forums.hybridz.org/show...ch+rb

krayton

well its out. drilled the hole damn thing out.

....now just gotta find a dowel pin to fit in it

BoostFab

go to ace hardware; they have tons of dowel pins, all sorts...

krayton

nothing but problems with this cas. everyones pics i see they have 2 screws holding the cas disk in.

mine though seems pressed in.

got the whole shaft out, but cant seperate the pieces around it to remove the original disk. even aems disk has 2 holes for what seems like screws, but i dont have those.

just trying to pry the pieces apart.

AxiOn419
Car: 1991 240sx SE Super-Hicas w/ RB20DET

krayton wrote: hand job.

krayton

apparently internals of series 1 cas are different then everyone elses.

some reference photos for anyone that heads this route. I had to butcher my aem disk

eh?

Oh damn that sucks. I think it would have been better getting another cas and keeping that one as a spare..

krayton

i really wanted too. really really did. everyone that could get one for me though, wouldnt be able to get it to me for tomorrow.

tomorrow is my tuning day. couldnt change that says its getting under favors

Coolwhip
Vendor

glad you got though that hurdle. Guess it's a box of surprise when opening up our lovely CAS.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”