Anyone replace a strut mount / bearing, or have a clicking noise while turning?

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
zogy

I have a clicking noise that is coming from my front suspension, when I turn the wheel (with the vehicle stopped). I am nearly certain it is the drivers side upper strut bearing. Probably a fall-out of my son's whacking into a curb, a while back. At the time I had a (competent) alignment shop do the alignment, but they could not find anything that needed replacing. Has enyone ever replaced one? Also, wonder how much I should replace while I am in there (strut, strut mount, bumper/bellows etc). If anyone have some relevant experience/advice I would certainly appreciate it.

67hat34c
Car: Acura mdx and TL

Are you talking about turning wheel while car is moving or standing still.

Clicking while turning and car is moving problem is a CV joint. Look at cv joint boots, suspect torn and grease came out. You will have to replace the cv joints.

If you are hearing a creeking noise while dry steering then there could be spring issue or Strut Bearing or tie rod ends, swaybar ends etc. Strut bearings rarely go bad. I have replaced the struts and bearings on cars before and it is not that hard. Can be dangersous however. You have to compress the spring then remove the bearing plat from the top and replace it.

You can check tie rod ends and sway bar ends by looking at the grease boot and seeing if torn and grease leaked out. if so then likely they may have gone bad.

Basically none of the above parts wear out unless the grease gets out and or dirt gets in.

BBISHOPPCM
Car: 2006 Murano S/AWD w/ Convenience Package

All front-wheel drive Nissans are notorious for strut bearing failures, infact, my 1999 Sentra, 2007 Versa, and 2006 Murano all needed them around the 60,000 mile mark. I've never actually replaced them; I just deal with the occasional "thunk" while turning in a parking lot.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

had trouble with one on a 94 sentra myself. It was easy to replace. I just had to jack up the car and let the front wheel hang, then unbolt the two bolts on the bottom holding the strut to the knuckle, and the three up top in the engine compartment. The bearing just sits on top of the strut.

Return to “Murano Forum”