Anyone know where I can access Dome light circuit aside from its location?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

Id like to light up the floor in white LED i.e lights under the dashboard....but i cant seem to find where to tap into. I found "room light" on inside fuse box, but upon removing that fuse the lights still work, any ideas?

Pwnin O'Brien

This information is assuming that the QX4 has a smart entrance control unit, also assuming the 99.5's SECU is the same as the 03's SECU...

At the SECU the interior lamp wire is RED/BLACK (terminal no. 31). I would meter it to make sure it's the one you're looking for.

fitzx4

Qxxx4 wrote:Id like to light up the floor in white LED i.e lights under the dashboard....but i cant seem to find where to tap into. I found "room light" on inside fuse box, but upon removing that fuse the lights still work, any ideas?
if you could let me know if you find it i would appreciate it. i want to put leds on my running boards

Pwnin O'Brien

I also wanted to try this out with those SMD LED strips. If you do put in lights please post some pics and tips for the install.

Empty V
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4, 1982 Corvette C3 Shark

Qxxx4 wrote:Id like to light up the floor in white LED i.e lights under the dashboard....but i cant seem to find where to tap into. I found "room light" on inside fuse box, but upon removing that fuse the lights still work, any ideas?
I'll post pics of what I did when I get around to it. I wired a potentiometer in line with 10 12v LED's to an AC wire. Once I figured out the correct resistance I was able to dim them smoothly. I went on a lighting forum for advice and they said it couldn't be done. I drilled evenly spaced holes in the plastic shield under the steering wheel and siliconed them through the holes. I wired all the LED's into the terminal block, then to the pot, then to the AC wire. The only tough part was finding the right pot. Here's a pic of one of the LED's with the resistor shown.

Billy
Modified by Empty V at 11:00 PM 8/9/2009

REZN
Car: Nissan Pathfinder

yeah i never really noticed the car didnt have door lights for when you open the door you can see where you step and what noti wanted to wire some leds under my dash to the dome light aswell but also want to be able to turn the lights on whenever i want withought having to open a door or turn on the dome light.,help?

Qxxx4

Pwnin O’Brien wrote:This information is assuming that the QX4 has a smart entrance control unit, also assuming the 99.5's SECU is the same as the 03's SECU...

At the SECU the interior lamp wire is RED/BLACK (terminal no. 31). I would meter it to make sure it's the one you're looking for.
where/what is an SECU?

Pwnin O'Brien

The smart entrance control unit (SECU) is the computer which controls all of your lighting (interior and exterior), door switches, door locks, horn, etc. It's pretty much the computer which controls all human-related functions.

I'm not 100% your year has this, the only way to know for sure is if you check, it takes five minutes and two screws to look.

The SECU is located right next to the interior fuse panel under the steering wheel. Here's a diagram from the service manual...

Pwnin O'Brien

Ok, so I did a little research. The 99.5 Pathfinder does have the SECU, so I assume the QX4 does as well.

For interior lamps it is RED/BLACK (terminal 8). This wire will test at 12V with an open door (if interior lamp is switched to DOOR) or when unlocked using remote.

fitzx4

thanks for the good info guys now i just need to get around to doing something with it haha. but im gonna order some light strips to go the length of my running boards

Qxxx4

wow thanks so much, I too am busy but in a few weeks will definately investigate this. Ill do lights under the sidesteps once i get the rotted supports fixed :p

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”