Anyone ever heard of gtr-garage.com??

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
wayne984
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35
rebadged to the nissan skyline 350gt

Hey everyone I've been on the hunt for a skyline for some time and I would love to get an R34 gtr before the prices go crazy high like they have with the R32's become available for exportation into the U.S. Only problem is that I have no connections in japan :frown:
I found a site called gtr-garage.com and they claim to have free short term and long term storage of your car until it is legal for importation and then they handle all of that paperwork and such for you.
My question is: has anyone on here heard of them before?? Are they legit? I have done a ton of research trying to find a good importer who isn't going to rip me off!
Any useful input would be greatly appreciated. If it's not useful don't post it.

P.s. I recently created a page on Facebook called skylines for sale in the u.s. If you know anyone selling or looking for a skyline they can join and post their car up for sale. Or join and look for their next ride.
:dblthumb:

VandrelSOUSA

They have been a vendor on Zilvia for years selling parts but have yet to ever import a single car to the U.S. and only recently started trying to get into the car auctions. They picked up 1 R32 GTR thus far that wasn't in the best shape and didn't seem to advertise it's condition at all. I know some people who say they are good for parts but as far as the cars go I'd recommend going with someone else who has a little more salt on their shoulders and time under their belt before you kick them money for a car.

On a lesser note, you do realize you have a 10 year wait before the 99 BNR34's are coming over right? Storing a car for 10 years isn't a great idea. You won't see much of a price change in those cars over the next 8 years aside from costs going down.

wayne984
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35
rebadged to the nissan skyline 350gt

I have been looking and they do seem to have a few skylines and a couple other cars. Some have been sold and some look really decent. So that is why I asked. I'll have to check out zilvia and see how they are doing. Thanks for the input.
Yeah I do realize that the prices will be going down over the next 7-8 years I have been watching the R32 gt-r and their prices for the past 5 years. I watched them get dirt cheap and then sky rocket recently because of the demand to get them imported here to the states.
My plan is to invest some money now and continue to roll those investments in several ways to the point that I can yield a decent profit off of them and hopefully have enough to purchase a late model '99 or early '00 v-spec, in 7 or so years. I'll have it stored till it's legal a year or two and then ship it over.
If the investments do good I may just try my luck at a super rare V-specII NÜR
If anything I can take a second mortgage on the current house at the time lol :crazy:

ODS
Car: GTR

I bought both of my R32s through them, everything has been pretty smooth thus far. But I guess we will see, you never know until the cars show up lol.

loopyR31
Car: 1988 R31

I've purchased a few small parts from Kunio at GTR Garage but that's about it. It was awhile back before they advertised they were doing cars too. I didn't really get the vibe that they were a big operation so I don't think I'd buy a car from them until I saw their location in the US. Kunio was great for parts though.

Heath
Car: 1992 Q45, 2000 Excursion (towrig), 2003 Yukon Denali (Wife's Ride)

So ODS how did your cars look when they showed up?

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=550991
that is the full thread, credit to Kabob for forwarding that to me, and credit to ODS for the original writeup

MazKid
Car: 2006 Tribute 4WD manual
2004 RX-8
2003 Protege5 V6-swap
1994 Miata supercharged
1994 Protege turbocharged
1990 RX-7
1971 1200 Truck

Came across this thread, and even though I have no business on this forum(I'm a Mazda guy, if you can't tell!), I felt like I should talk about my experience with GTR-Garage thus far.

Back in January, a friend of mine tagged me in a post by GTR-Garage on Facebook about a '90 Eunos Cosmo. The 3-rotor Cosmo has been my dream car literally since Gran Turismo 2 came out, when I was a kid. As a Mazda guy that has been around Mazdas since birth(my dad is a Mazda Master Tech of 33 years, and I'm 28), these cars really hit me once I 'drove' one in GT2... the look, the sound, the power... I'm very fond of Mazdas from the late '80s to early '90s and this car is basically(at least in my mind) the ultimate in terms of Mazda engineering and design. These cars were the most expensive Mazdas ever made(up to that point, and through today) as well as the most powerful from the factory('gentleman's agreement' 280hp, actual output somewhere in the 320-340 range). So, ending this tangent, I felt like actually owning one of these someday would be out of reach for me. I *almost* bought one out of Vancouver back in 2009 but it would have been a financial screwup at that time in my life, so I back-burnered it and focused on collecting cars that already exist here. lol

So anyway, my friend tags me, and the want built up in me. I emailed GTR Garage about it, wanted more pics/info on the car. The most I've initially spent on a car has been $3,500, so the thought of spending $10K plus, on a car I can't see in person first is frightening to me, but I really wanted one and it even had the wheels I wanted on the car. GTR-Garage contacted the seller, never got anything back, and the car was sold. I contacted 3 other companies at this point stating that I was interested in buying a Eunos Cosmo, just to see, and only one got back to me, and gave off the feeling like they didn't think I was serious. They didn't show me any cars, just were very vague about the process, which I had already stated that I knew a little about. Soon after, another one popped up on Yahoo Auctions and they emailed me about it. Right after we started discussing the car, it was sold to a dealer in New York. By this time, I had started hunting on my end, looking at various sites as well as the auction in Japan. Not that I didn't trust GTRG or that I was going elsewhere Another one came up at auction, a 19K kms grade 4 car, very nice specimen. I emailed GTRG about it, and started talking about budget. Neither of us really knew how much it would go for because of the low milage, and it was questionable whether it would fit my budget. They asked for $2K deposit to bid on a car at the auction, and I sent it via Paypal. The night of the auction, we emailed pretty continuously throughout the time the car was running. We got outbid. GTRG actually bid a little lower than my budget, knowing that shipping from Galveston to me in STL would be included in my budget as well as fees and whatnot. I'm glad they did, I'm not a man of money. The $2K was refunded immediately without issue.

A couple of weeks later, the 2nd car we discussed ended up back on Yahoo Auctions. The dealer that was buying it had backed out. GTRG emailed me immediately asking if I was still interested. They put a deposit on the car before they even emailed me, to hold the car. Of course I was interested, so a few emails later the details were worked out. I had come to the realization that this is inherently risky business and that since these cars are becoming legal this year, waiting for more pics/info often results in the cars being sold first. So I threw caution to the wind and sent payment for the car as well as GTRG's service fee via Paypal. I still owe for shipping/importing, when the time comes for the car to ship out. It's a November 1990 car, so I have quite a while to go. The wait is quite painful.

Besides GTRG's import fees being lower than any importer I've found, they also don't charge a storage fee. Well, reading the thread on Zilvia, they do if the car has to be stored for something like a year or more. Other importers charge $150+ a month!

After sending the money, I was kept up to date on the car though often I would have to email first. We got some more mediocre pics from the dealership but it's not like the dealership is obligated to do much after the sale, so it is what it is. I realize that GTRG is opening a new place in Portland and that the guys are quite busy getting stuff setup, so I'm cutting some slack. Everything seems to be going just fine, and the car has been moved from the dealership it was listed at to GTRG's shop in Japan, and will soon be(or has as of last week?) driven a short distance to their storage warehouse. I was told that the car will be started/run once a week until it is time for it to ship out. Currently waiting on pics/video(s) of the car.

So that's where I am in the process. I'm a worrier, and this whole deal is new to me. GTRG has been great about answering my questions, and after running across the thread on Zilvia, I feel even better about dealing with them. Obviously my story is far from over and a lot can happen in the mean time, but from what I've read and my experience so far, they are a good company to deal with. I'm not getting anything out of talking them up here nor do they know that I've discussed them here, though they might come across it. I just wanted to share my experience fairly and give interested people an idea of what goes on. Lots of people are getting interested in importing cars and sharing knowledge helps everyone.

If anyone has any specific questions for me, feel free to shoot me a message on Facebook: www.facebook.com/themazkid I probably won't check this forum often.

-Ryan

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”