any way to set timing?

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
fatboysmith1
Car: 90 300zx

ok, so i think i may have messed up! i am rebuilding my vg30de and i remember stting it to tdc when i set the heads on, however i think i may have forgotten to set it to the compression stroke. so my question is, Is there any way to reset my timing so that i dont have to take the heads or cams off to set it correctly? i looked into the CAS and i couldnt find anyhting really about how to adjust or set it.

es.biggs
Car: 1990 300ZX 5sp NA

Damn man, I think you might have to rip into it again. Have you turned the crank over yet?

Zwicked
Car: 1990 300 ZX tt, 1990 240SX

If that's the case, you will have to remove and reinstall the t-belt. All you need to remember is the 5 white lines on the belt line up with the dimples on each of the cam and crank sprockets (NOT the backing plates) for it to be 100% correct. Then it will be 100% lined up. Make sure to set up the tensioner properly.

fatboysmith1

right, i know that i will have to take the timing belt off, i just dont want to have to tear the heads off or remove the cams so that i can rotate the crake becasue of the valves. unless you know something i dont? it will turn right now i just think that the timing is off on the cycle. like it is firing on the wrong stroke.

es.biggs
Car: 1990 300ZX 5sp NA

I don't really know what you mean but if your cams and your crank weren't lined up correctly it probably bent some valves as a result.

This article below shows you how to adjust the ignition timing. All you need is a timing light and a 10mm socket/ratchet. You want the timing mark on the crank pulley to be at 15 degrees before tdc. It's very easy...just loosen the 3 bolts on the CAS and move it until it's adjusted properly. Should take less that 15 minutes. Just make sure your engine is fully warmed up before adjusting.

http://www.twinturbo.net/net/v...22678

robomatic12
Car: 1990 300ZX TT

aslong as all of the dots are lined up on the timing belt and the dots on the cam gears you are fine, doesnt matter where in the compression cycle its at, all that matters is the dots lining up. pull your belt covers and check everything without taking the timing belt off.

Zwicked

robomatic12 wrote:aslong as all of the dots are lined up on the timing belt and the dots on the cam gears you are fine, doesnt matter where in the compression cycle its at, all that matters is the dots lining up. pull your belt covers and check everything without taking the timing belt off.
Exactly, just remove the belt, turn the cam and crank sprockets, and reinstall the belt as I mentioned. Soon as you have the covers off, rotate it until the white lines "should" line up and see if it is truly off. If it is, once it's reinstalled I'd do a leak down and compression test to confirm if there are any bent valves.

fatboysmith1

Zwicked wrote:
Exactly, just remove the belt, turn the cam and crank sprockets, and reinstall the belt as I mentioned. Soon as you have the covers off, rotate it until the white lines "should" line up and see if it is truly off. If it is, once it's reinstalled I'd do a leak down and compression test to confirm if there are any bent valves.
so i took the covers off of the timing belt and the dots still are lined up. i also ran a quick compression test and i am not getting anything. I dont think that my valves are bent however because that is what started this whole mess. (timing belt slipped and i actually broke 4 off, $500 later at the machine shop, i was very careful putting the heads on) I am just wondering again if in fact i did set it to the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke if for some reason i might have the wrong valves open? the reason why i think that is because going back and reading through the manual agian it says to make sure that i am on the compression stroke. what do you think? also i can rotate the crank by hand and turn the crank one full turn and the cams are then off. rotate it again and they are lined up again.

Zwicked

Having the 5 white lines line up on the 5 cam/crank sprockets is all that matters. They will only line up once every several complete rotations so don't worry about it if once you've turned it over they don't line up again. As long as they are all lined up to start with you are good.

How are you going about doing a compression test? You are spinning it over with the starter and not by hand right?

fatboysmith1

yeah we cranked it over with the starter. i think i will have some time tomarrow to check outhe lines on the belt. hopefully it is that simple

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”