any way to find a misplaced intelligent key?

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
dostrem
Car: Nissan Leaf

I know it's in my house but I've looked everywhere and can't find it. Is there any kind of RF detector that can be used to locate it? One important question is whether or not the transmitter in the fob is always transmitting, intermittently transmitting or turned on some way when it gets in the car? I've ordered a new fob but not being able to find the first one is really working on me! Thanks

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

AFAIK, no as it's not a standard RF system.
The system is based on a technology invented by Siemens VDO called PASE: Passive Start and Entry System. It operates in the ISM band of radio frequencies.

dostrem
Car: Nissan Leaf

Thanks a lot! I looked this up and, sure enough, the fob transmitter is activated only upon someone touching the door handle. The transmitter in the car then queries the key with a low frequency transmission (<125 Hz) and the key answers with high frequency (>315 Hz). So the answer is clear - the key will not be transmitting anything from the back of my closet unless I drive the car there with the other key, put that one some distance away, then touch the door handle. I am presently considering tearing out all the external walls in my house just due to mild OCD, even given that I just received a new key in the mail today. All I have left to do is pay another $120 to get this one programmed. I'm also going to buy a couple of iPhone operated locators!

Return to “Leaf Forum”