another strut&shocks replacement question for 06 m35x model

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
cruzad3r
Car: 2006 M35x fully loaded

folks

i've been searching high and low on here and google trying to find KYB parts (struts and shocks assembly) that will fit my 2006 M35X - AWD non Sport Suspension and i've came up empty.

well several here posted they've used KYB parts on their cars but either they're using it on the M35 Sport RWD or the M45 RWD version only ( link here what-the-f-front-shocks-t527102-30.html?hilit=strut)

i've found several websites that have these parts fairly cheap so for those who's looking, you can try here

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm ... _year=2006

Now when i called and asked shockwarehouse, they said they don't know and refer me back to KYB. When i talked to KYB, they said their products will not fit the AWD version. which confused me more because i found these parts that said they will fit on the 2006 M35X version

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/searc ... ssembly%29

So my question is: who here have used KYB parts (struts and shocks) on a 2006 M35X AWD version?

please post and share your experience. thanks all

antzrus
Car: '06 M35x Premium/Obsidian/Bourbon/
Rosewood/XM/Tint/
ClearBra/SteelSkidPlate/Genuine CoCo Mats/Michelin CrossClimate2/Nav Hack/M-1

I also could not find any after market struts-I went w/the OEM's.

cruzad3r

the cost of 4 corners OEM parts are more than the cost of a Coil set (Megan, D2s, etc...)

seriously, wth infiniti!!!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I've been meaning to get myself KYB struts as well...but based on your search (I had the same sites) I will have to look again.

rgb129
Car: 2008 550i sport
RIP 2006 M35x

I have posted this before in another thread many moons ago (pics were included) answering this question.

The KYB rears will work...they are the same.

The front is completely different. The AWD front strut is shorter to allow for the mount to be longer and forked to accomodate the front axle. The non AWD mounts strait to the spindle. There is NO aftermarket option for the fron strut. You have two options:

1. Buy OEM fronts and KYB rears

2. Coilovers

Considering how often this question keeps coming up, can someone make this a sticky?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

rgb129 wrote:
Considering how often this question keeps coming up, can someone make this a sticky?
You got it. Adding as a note to the FAQ thread. I trust your opinion on this matter as you are one of the pioneers of suspensions for these cars, you had the custom K-Sport setup right?

rgb129
Car: 2008 550i sport
RIP 2006 M35x

IlyaKol wrote:
rgb129 wrote:
You got it. Adding as a note to the FAQ thread. I trust your opinion on this matter as you are one of the pioneers of suspensions for these cars, you had the custom K-Sport setup right?
Thanks!

Yes, the K-Sport kit was developed on my car. Chris and I spent weeks with K-Sport to develop that kit.

cruzad3r

i've spent some time reading most of your posts on this subject. back in the day you weren't sure whether the KYB parts will fit but you changed your comment about a year ago. so i'm assuming you did purchased the parts for your 06 M35x. is it possible to post the part numbers for the rear shocks that you used? i don't want to spend money and effort on parts that won't fit and get more frustrated.

thanks

BL8
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x
2013 4Runner TE
2011 F-350

The KYB rears will work...they are the same.

The front is completely different. The AWD front strut is shorter to allow for the mount to be longer and forked to accomodate the front axle. The non AWD mounts strait to the spindle. There is NO aftermarket option for the fron strut. You have two options:

1. Buy OEM fronts and KYB rears

2. Coilovers
If I put KYB's on rear, do I have to go OEM on front? Or can I do coilovers front only?

merlinq2
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

What BL8 said - no coli overs all the way around only. Either all or nothing I am afraid.

Good luck

cruzad3r

I bought the front oem and the rear kyb. I'll let you know if there's an issue with the kyb.

You dont want half coilover cuz you have to buy it as a package. Also coil will need camber adjustment and i dont know if there are any for the X model

BL8
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35x
2013 4Runner TE
2011 F-350

Put rear kyb's on t night. Will have to return front kyb's (do not fit AWD per this thread)
I'll order oems
Rides better already!
Also put on new brake motive pads and rotors all around
New tires Friday

cruzad3r

Thats a lot of work there buddy. When did you start and how long did it take you? Did you have anyone to help? Also do you happen to have the part number for those kyb? Did you actually try the kyb on the front or just go by this thread?

experimentalonebarrel
Car: 2006 M35X

My 2006 M35X w/+74K miles has a bad left rear shock, at least that's what I'm calling it. The car doesn't have what I would call a 'strut' in the rear end. It has only shocks. The left rear shock appears to have a lot of oil leaking from it. The right side shows no signs of the leaking and does not show the sysmptoms that the left side does (as in tire hop when turning hard left and accelerating).

I stopped by a local parts store and the guy there seemed to go along with the bad shock diagnosis and told me some stuff about having only one out-of-state and something else about a note to call Infiniti. I then went home and found rear shocks online for about the same price the guy told me at the local parts store. Seemed easy enough until…

I called the local Infiniti dealer and made it clear the problem was with the left rear shock and they came back saying I'd need a pair of struts at $335 each and with labor it'd be just under $1000. Well I'm sure most know how I felt about that.

Now I read this and I'm even more confused and unsure.

So if someone here has enough time, I'd greatly appreciate answering a few dumb and not so dumb questions.

1. Does the car have struts in the rear?
2. Does the OEM whatever in the rear use oil?
3. Can I buy some KYB gas shocks for just the rear?
4. If KYB are available, can someone actually provide a part number from an online source? Or I can post one and someone verify?
5. Can one bad shock cause the car to sit lopsided because it has seemed to do this for a while?
6. How difficult is the change out? (I'm competent, but not overflowing with an abundance of motivation or time). Any useful hints?

experimentalonebarrel

My 2006 M35X w/+74K miles has a bad left rear shock, at least that's what I'm calling it. The car doesn't have what I would call a 'strut' in the rear end. It has only shocks. The left rear shock appears to have a lot of oil leaking from it. The right side shows no signs of the leaking and does not show the sysmptoms that the left side does (as in tire hop when turning hard left and accelerating).

I stopped by a local parts store and the guy there seemed to go along with the bad shock diagnosis and told me some stuff about having only one out-of-state and something else about a note to call Infiniti. I then went home and found rear shocks online for about the same price the guy told me at the local parts store. Seemed easy enough until…

I called the local Infiniti dealer and made it clear the problem was with the left rear shock and they came back saying I'd need a pair of struts at $335 each and with labor it'd be just under $1000. Well I'm sure most know how I felt about that.

Now I read this and I'm even more confused and unsure.

So if someone here has enough time, I'd greatly appreciate answering a few dumb and not so dumb questions.

1. Does the car have struts in the rear?
2. Does the OEM whatever in the rear use oil?
3. Can I buy some KYB gas shocks for just the rear?
4. If KYB are available, can someone actually provide a part number from an online source? Or I can post one and someone verify?
5. Can one bad shock cause the car to sit lopsided because it has seemed to do this for a while?
6. How difficult is the change out? (I'm competent, but not overflowing with an abundance of motivation or time). Any useful hints?

experimentalonebarrel

sorry for the double post

yomoms16
Car: infinity m35 x

only stupid question is the one not asked........... I have the same yr model as you...... the rear of the car carries shocks.. you can replace them with kyb rear shocks.... unfortunately for the front "struts" you have to go to the dealer... the rear shocks are pretty easy to install if you're mechanically inclined

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/I ... 49053.html

that's where I got my rear shocks from... direct fit no problem

experimentalonebarrel

Thanks yomoms16.

I ordered the parts, but they are ground only (can't air freight since gas filled so I'm waiting a bit longer than preferred).

One question about installation since every car is different and it's been awhile since I've done shocks.

Can I replace the shocks from only under the wheel well?

I did one set of struts a long time ago and the biggest pain was working with the compression device. Just had so much trouble getting the spring compressed enough to fit the strut in place and also just getting the whole contraption (spring and compressor) to fit between the frame and suspension. Once I figured out the numerous steps to make it work, the other side went in about half the time.

The help is much appreciated.

e1b (experimentalonebarrel)

yomoms16
Car: infinity m35 x

yes you can get.in from under the car... 2 bolts holding it.to the top and one bolt on the bottom... check out the how to section and you'll see it there

experimentalonebarrel

Ok. I just found that I had bookmarked the M35 service indexes a year or two ago and looked in there and sure as heck they tell just about everything I need to know about changing out the shocks. But one thing I don't get is what the numbers mean in the diagram (RSU page 7). I suppose some of those are bolt torques, but are they metric? And what do the numbers in parenthesis mean? Is there some kind of key some where?

BTW, I already have the shocks so it only took two days. Think I'll do them this Sunday, but it's going to be around 95F outside, so I'm going to sweat my tail off.

cruzad3r

are you doing front and rear on the same day? you can do the rear by yourself but the front will need some help. also if you're doing the front, go to advance auto parts or autozone and rent their spring compressor kit. you will need two to compress it enough so you can take the struts out. make sure you have some sort of impact wrench, either electric or compress air as it will be a pain to compress the springs by hand with your ratchet. i don't have the parts and the instruction handy but once i got it, i'll post it to you. i do not suggest you do anything on Sunday unless you know or have done it before as if you get into any type of trouble, you can't get help you need and you might not have a ride for Monday to work.

experimentalonebarrel

I found the info I was looking for.

I started randomly going through every pdf here and I was just about through them all when I clicked on GI-General Information. That gave me what I needed to know regarding how to read the torque spec info.

[url]http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/M/2006_M45-M35//url]

I am only doing the rear shocks. I also didn't get around to doing it today. Will try for Thursday.

Thanks for all the help (and thanks to me for finding the answers to my own questions).

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”