And Now, a Toyota "Verso"

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
longo
Car: 2007 Versa SL, CVT

Just when you thought we had seen the last of Nissan Versa knock offs, the company that you would least expect to steal the name (nearly) and copy the specs..the mighty Toyota...has stepped up to the plate with a hatchback they unashamedly call the "Verso"

Here's quote from a Toyota spokesman at the Detroit Auto show...

"For its part, Toyota boasted that it would build a plug-in hybrid by 2010, potentially beating the Volt to the punch, and showed off the Versa, a sedan/station wagon meant to capture even more of the baby boomers who comprise Toyota’s most loyal customer base."

Sure sounded like ..."Versa" to me!

Has the world run out of original names for cars?

Here's a picture of the Toyota in question...keep in mind this is not a 'concept' car...it's already running around in Europe..........

[]

Modified by longo at 3:57 PM 1/19/2008

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

Surely they won't use this name in the US, will they? The Toyota UK site calls the Verso a 7-seater mini-MPV. I think it's been around a while - one owner review on the Toyota UK site says that they've owned their Verso for 4 years...

...so technically, the Versa, which came out in 2006 as a 2007 model in the US and Canada, came second to the Verso. Sounds like the two cars both came out around 2004 in their home markets (Tiida and Verso), but as for the name, it looks like Toyota beat Nissan to it. As for actually bringing it to the US, however, Toyota came second. That's all that most folks will know if the Verso comes to the US...

So determining who's the real 'knock-off' here isn't so simple.

arco

Didn't Toyota first use the Verso name several years ago? I'm thinking that was long before Nissan released the Versa.

MATiX
Car: 2008 Versa, 2008 Altima

It's called Allex in Japan. So you say the the Nissan Tiida followed Toyota.

Sorry just found this. It is the 2008 Auris.http://www.batfa.com/photo-newcar-auris-front.htm

http://www.batfa.com/photo-newcar-auris-rear.htm

http://www.batfa.com/photo-new...t.htm

http://www.batfa.com/photo-new...r.htm

The Allex is no longer in production.

marleyfan
Car: Black Versa SL, CVT. Tech Package, 35% Tint, Window Visors, Spoiler

I would be surprised if Toyota introduced this car to the North American market under the Verso name. It is way to similar to an already existing car. Why would they want to create confusion amongst potential customers. It doesn't really matter who had the Versa/Verso name first, they currently exist in different markets. That may be why Nissan felt comfortable with the Versa name in North America, but uses Tiida in markets where the Verso may already have existed.

longo

Well that all makes sense, but just to point out another car that is Versa-like, how about the Ford Verve?

It is supposted to be the Versa Killer that the Big Blue Boys at Ford will have on the market in 2 years.

So, we have the Nissan Versa, the Toyota Verso and now the Ford Verve.

Are the Car Mavins simply blindly working their way through the 'Ver's without looking up to see if it makes any sense......to anyone?

Ford's Verve below....

[ ]

A Car review of the Verso had this to say.......

"The competent Toyota Verso is only let down by its cramped rear seats and high prices."

[]

This is going to be a Versa-Killer...I think not.

Modified by longo at 3:36 PM 1/19/2008

Rockhound

marleyfan wrote:I would be surprised if Toyota introduced this car to the North American market under the Verso name. It is way to similar to an already existing car. Why would they want to create confusion amongst potential customers. It doesn't really matter who had the Versa/Verso name first, they currently exist in different markets. That may be why Nissan felt comfortable with the Versa name in North America, but uses Tiida in markets where the Verso may already have existed.
My thoughts exactly. They wouldn't want to generate an ad-Vers-a reaction amongst potential buyers by confusing them.
longo wrote:This is going to be a Versa-Killer...I think not.
I'm confused by your reasoning. I think you're the only one pitting the Verso against the Versa. It's a 7-passenger mini-mini van (mini MPV) and would likely be priced well above the Versa - say maybe starting just below the Versa's top end, perhaps?

As for the Verve, yes, it is more within the Versa's segment based on price and size. And despite my dislike of Ford, I think it looks great and I hope it's a success...it just seems like it'll be a late arrival to the party.

I wonder if the Verve's Sync-stereo comes pre-loaded with Bittersweet Symphony?

BBISHOPPCM
Car: 2006 Murano S/AWD w/ Convenience Package

I cannot believe how much the Verso looks like the Versa... It's almost a carbon-copy of the Versa. I seriously believe the Verso would be a terriffic seller in the U.S. if they would only change the name (to differentiate it from the Versa), I would call it "Vermin" or "Vern" "Hey! Vern! them guys from over yonder named a car after you!"

longo

Well I am not the only one to think it looks like the Versa, and yes it does come in an optional 7 seater...but OMG I can't imagine 7 people stuffed into my Versa!

The car reviews I read on it all complain about the Toyotas cramped seats and high prices..(in U.S. dollars from 35 to $43,000)

On that point alone this Toyota hasn't got a snowballs chance in Hell in North America.

Just another look to see if you think there are any similarities to the Nissan Versa.

[]
Modified by longo at 11:07 PM 1/19/2008

Great White Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S HB 6sp

Rockhound wrote:(mini MPV)
When you say "MPV" are you referring to the Mazda MPV? And if so, how is this toyota a mini mazda mini-van?

Rockhound

Great White Versa wrote:
When you say "MPV" are you referring to the Mazda MPV? And if so, how is this toyota a mini mazda mini-van?
While "MPV" was a Mazda vehicle, it also means "multi-purpose vehicle", or mini-van. "Mini"-vans have grown lately, so this is a mini-mini-van.

longo

From looking at the respective Specs on each vehicle, I don't think the Toyota qualifies for the title "mini mini van" just yet, it's only 1 inch longer than the Versa.

On the bathroom scale tho its 4oo pounds heavier, slow as a slug and at the $ales mangers desk, over twice the price.

The Versa is no screaming demon on the dragstrip but turns in a nice 0 to 60 time of 9.5 sec

The pudgy Toyota Verso lumbers across the line in 12.7 sec.

(Your times may vary)

[]

Rockhound

longo wrote:From looking at the respective Specs on each vehicle, I don't think the Toyota qualifies for the title "mini mini van" just yet, it's only 1 inch longer than the Versa.
Sheesh...I'm not the one who dubbed it so, that's its classification in Europe. Anyway, I don't think "MPV" is even a common classification here in the US, it seems to be a European thing. And no, I don't think that it comes strictly from exterior dimensions - the point is, it has seating for 7. I can't imagine those back-back seat occupants are terribly comfortable, as even the third-row on the larger Mitsubishi Outlander is incredibly cramped for all but children or diminutive adults. Still, it may be a selling point for some folks.

Also, regarding performance, I'd be willing to bet that Toyota would increase the output of the engine, if not the engine size entirely, for the US spec Verso. Performance numbers aren't nearly as important to European consumers as they are to Americans - mostly safety and fuel economy are tops on their lists. No doubt it has those two categories covered in its current configuration.

I bet with a little reconfiguring - mainly a sacrifice of the cavernous rear seat leg room - you could squeeze in a fold-flat two seat rear bench in the Versa hatch, especially if the body was given an inch or two of length to work with.

Seems like you're really hung up on the whole 'Verso' name, which as has been pointed out, has been in existence longer (in other markets) than 'Versa'. So you don't like this vehicle. Great. It's not on my list, either. I'd just say get over it and enjoy your Versa. Both seem to have their virtues, and if the Verso is brought to the US (hopefully under a different moniker) I'm sure some set of car buyers will also find it to be a perfect fit for their needs. No need to hate.

Return to “Versa General Chat”