America's 1st Automatic KA-T S13 Convertible w/ Roll Bar & Wind Screen? ;)

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Can't let Greg be the only one fabbing & fitting unique parts into our cars.

I don't think I've seen a wind screen on anyone else's vert :-D.

First off, massive update of things I've been working on the past 2 months or so - been too busy between work & now going back to school to really take time to update & take pics. Still need to submit pics for the Vert Calendar as well (won't be using anything recent, just the Lone Pine thread ones).

The turbo setup is FINALLY done... at least the initial install. So that first:

Quick specs of Setup:- IAP Manifold- Garrett T3/T4- GReddy/Tial wastegate (5lbs from 350z GReddy TT kit)- S15 side mount intercooler- S14 side mount intercooler piping slightly modified- random misc crap, haha- Power FC setup w/ prototype adapter from my buddies @ FRSport (map sensor is the bomb diggity baby!)

Some Background:

Summer '04 - Want to go turbo, bought SOHC stuff...

Spring '06 - Picked up Kandi (that's what I call my vert) bone stock... and DOHC... the turbo process continues.

Summer '06 - Spring '08 - various installs, fixes, maintenance, etc (you can find my other random posts if you are interested).

Early July '08 - Initial fitment:

* note @ this point the project is starting to take off:- standalone ecu already installed running map sensor- oil pan tapped and installed- other pieces ordered & ready to get put in

Dump pipe from s14 setup didn't fit - blast the auto brake booster & probably the 1 1/16" z32 bmc.

August '08 - Got a custom one made - which turned out to not correctly fit later - didn't make the guy bolt up the sr20 downpipe fully to show it was way too long - redid the sr20 downpipe so it sits better, but STILL off. It's my fault for not MAKING him do it correctly the first time & time limitations - works for now. Hi-temp coated @ a local shop, as well.

September '08 - After melting my BMC (even w/ the hi-temp coating on the dump pipe & turbo exhaust housing, bmc melted... too close I guess - I cut up some heat shields that didn't really fit "as-is" anymore. Even wrapped the dump pipe in some exhaust wrap for double protection. I had to cut a lil more (and possibly even some more) than in this pic:

Everything got installed & running 5lbs by now, not too shabby... and yes, car is still Auto :P.

October 11, 2008 - Great testing grounds for my new setup - went to an autocross practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvRFtLJNtMc

- significantly faster (a good 1.5-2 seconds from my estimates compared to people who have been plateauing the past few events for comparision; still getting used to the new setup as well); I'm still slow, but the car itself is definitely not a major limiting factor. viewing my older videos n/a, you can tell the acceleration differences as well - I also need to wrap/tie down the harnesses when they are not being used so they don't create a clank-clank-clank during runs.- my first turbo run, took it slow (faster vid on my site)- also gf's first ride-a-long, that was fun- car catches on mini fire (leaky reservoir + heat wrap touching downpipe + autox = small flame action).

I added more heat wrapping to the BMC heat shield recently & replaced the reservoir. Hopefully, I should be okay now.

Added a super jdm-tyte turbo timer that I've been waiting 3-4 years to install, haha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QS3kCWPHSA

Accessorizing:

- extended exhaust tip to better match the bumper- Granador mirrors (modded the angle of the mirrors so I can see w/ LHD vehicle)- B-Wave Wangan Wing, yum yum- modded wind screen & regular sun shade to baffle the wind (works amazing by the way, still some air, but significantly reduced w/ windows up & down - the gf approves of this mod, haha).- vert boot still fits w/ the setup, but needs some clamping down (to be done later)

before:

after:

notice the tip sits a little off center (the dump-pipe & downpipe were made imperfectly - when I finally have a chance, I'll get it fixed by someone else).

wing & mirror (don't mind the swirl marks, haven't had time to redo the polishing yet):

And finally, the wind screen:

holds down fine @ autocross and cruising on the highway. I plan to bolt it all down more securely later (though it is holding up fine as-is).

Of course, lots more little things now in the works as soon as I get a decent amount of free time.

Hope you enjoyed the post!
Modified by onosqv at 4:32 PM 10/24/2008

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

love it dude! looks sick. Too bad no rear passengers can benefit from that windscreen lol. what corvette piece do you have in your interior? and hurry up and 5sp that thing!

onosqv

krash wrote:love it dude! looks sick. Too bad no rear passengers can benefit from that windscreen lol. what corvette piece do you have in your interior? and hurry up and 5sp that thing!
Thanks!

It's just a custom emblem. However, I am running a Mopar Transmission Cooler made for a Corvette.

And as for the 5-speed, I'm holding up just fine against the 5-speed 240 guys right now, hee hee. Plus, automatic = my own secret turbo anti-lag system.

Rear seat passengers became a thing of the past once I installed the roll bar - it was pretty funny rolling 5 deep w/ the top down when I first got her, though. Good times.

EPD
Car: 94 caged vert, 87 RX7

I like that wind screen, is it lexan? I am interested to see how you have it fastened down. Also lets see those modified visors!

Sorry about that down pipe, its pretty hideous looking, i would have wrapped it up too! Alot of people say function over form but in your case... i dont think that saying applies. lol

Car looks great, im diggin the mirrors, lets get some full car shots now!

Topless_92
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Convertible

+1 for full car shots. I wanna see how that wangan looks on there. Top up and down. You need pics for the calender anyway. Your running out of time.

onosqv

I figured most ppl would just use their imaginations from my previous pic whores, haha.

No top up pics. it's a vert... and my top looks hideous right now, still need to replace it.

Here's ones pre wind-screen & pre-turbo (but post wing & mirror):

^ shot makes my 265's in front look tiny, go figure.

mmm240
Car: 95 Nissan 240SX KADE-T
94 Toyota Pickup
91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
03 Toyota Matrix XR

I think it makes your rears look fat! What size are they?

onosqv

mmm240 wrote:I think it makes your rears look fat! What size are they?
265's all around, but 18x9 front, 18x10.5 in back. Full details mentioned in one of my other threads.

S13xCrazy
Car: 1993 240sx Vert, 1993 BMW 325i, 1993 Honda CBR F2, 1998 Infiniti Q45,

beautiful car man!

Our cars are going to look semi-semilar when I finish putting mine back together.I'm sticking with the pop-ups though, and have a slightly different approach.

I love your car though, it looks awesome!!!How does the automatic turbo pull? Is the tranny holding up?I'm also going to be running an automatic turbo.

Z Style
Car: 93 240sx Roadster
01 Pathfinder Overland
97 F350 Powerstroke
88 RX-7 SR20DET Swapped
14 Star Bolt

Looking good, mate. You have almost made up for that MTV stint.

onosqv

S13xCrazy wrote:How does the automatic turbo pull? Is the tranny holding up?I'm also going to be running an automatic turbo.
If you look @ the video link I posted, then look @ one of my older video links (n/a), it's pretty obvious how much better the turbo pulls out of the corners.

I've only done one event and some daily driving on the auto turbo setup, but everything's holding up fine - it probably doesn't hurt that I have an oil cooler, tranny cooler, and upgraded cooling system.

I'm not worried w/ just 5lbs of boost right now, when I go to 10-12lbs, I'll see how it holds.

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Awesome!

Windscreen was in my list of things to do when I go to put the roll bar in. My only question is: How well does it actually keep air out of the passenger area with the top down. Did it function well to keep the turbulence out?

onosqv

DeXteR wrote:Awesome!

Windscreen was in my list of things to do when I go to put the roll bar in. My only question is: How well does it actually keep air out of the passenger area with the top down. Did it function well to keep the turbulence out?
No one reads the text huh?
onosQV wrote:...(works amazing by the way, still some air, but significantly reduced w/ windows up & down - the gf approves of this mod, haha)...
But I guess I can elaborate a bit more. I haven't done extensive testing lately (been driving another car), but from the few times I took her out:

1st off, I have bride vios iii (low max), so I sit lower than the stock seats.

Without windscreen:- top down, windows down: air free flows all over the place. It's fun for around town, but on the highway, a little too much wind. passenger's hair is flying all over the place (she has long hair)

- top down, windows up: air grazes the top of my hair & there is wind flying back into the cabin from behind me (I guess this is the turbulence you are talking about). hair still flies all over.

- top up, windows up & rear quarters up: about same as above. hair still flies all over.

With windscreen:- top down, windows down: air seems to only be hitting from the side w/ very little grazing the top, but no turbulence/air coming back into cabin at all. passenger's hair is stable. Haven't done highway tests in this configuration, but shouldn't be horrible.

- top down, windows up: air now only passes the very top of my head. There is just a tiny bit of air coming back into the cabin (if you look @ the pics, the screen doesn't fully cover the area of the roll bar - I have another section of windscreen that would cover almost all of it, but it doesn't look as good as this one (and would partially block my rearview). However, passenger's hair is stable for the most part - this is the key factor.

- top down, windows up & rear quarters up: it could be my imagination, but this time around w/ the windscreen, the rear quarters feel like they do make a difference - even less turbulence & air flowing back to the cabin.

Overall, easier to hear the radio in all 3 configurations w/ the windscreen as well.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Just to say I do like it. But would also worry about the AT.

Wished I could find out if my Cover would work for you.

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

I must have overlooked that... I thought I read your whole post. Good to know.

KLYPH
Car: Brougham

Definitely not the first Ka-t vert, lol. But props for going ka-t and nice car.
Modified by KLYPH at 1:21 PM 10/28/2008

onosqv

KLYPH wrote:Definitely not the first Ka-t vert, lol. But props for going ka-t and nice car.

Modified by KLYPH at 1:21 PM 10/28/2008
That's why I put in the Automatic & Roll bar w/ Windscreen part

slip69
Car: 94 240sx convertible, 07 Dodge Charger

onosqv wrote:
That's why I put in the Automatic & Roll bar w/ Windscreen part
you guys suck!!!!! everytime I see all these pics of these fuching awesome cars I get reminded about how much I hate being poor and not being able to afford doing anything to the vert right now!!!!! nice job with everything you did to the car!!! its freaking awesome

koukicody
Car: 93 Mazda Miata

he's not rich or anything (at least i dont think he is) lol, just hard work and time man...

saw your car parked outside Stater Bros a few months back after it was painted orange. looks really good. i would always see it around or parked before when it was multicolor, lol. i must say, its looks much better!

onosqv

hey Cody!

Haven't spotted you @ all since that one time @ the light. it was only 2 or maybe 3 colors before, not too bad, haha.

And no, not even close to rich. I doubt the majority of ppl w/ nice 240's are (though there are the occasional few w/ rich parents). Please keep in mind I bought the car stock 2 years or so ago & spent A LOT of time on it, and many of the parts were from my previous car... so total of like 4-6 years of parts buying & installing to get this result so far. Lots of saving up. All depends on how bad you want it and how hard you are willing to work to get things done right (in my case, only as right as I could afford, haha).

Being only part time work now since I started grad school isn't helping either.

slip69
Car: 94 240sx convertible, 07 Dodge Charger

I hear that!!! I've had my car for 3 years and I barely added rims to it this year!! But thats what happens when you have 3 kids and one is a teenager!!!My cash keeps going on all the damm food that kid eats!! I seriously don't know how he can eat so damm much!!! So yeah mine is taking its time too. I set a goal for next year that by summer I should have mine looking as nice as yours

leesredgt
Car: 1992 Toyota MR2 N/A
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Thread revival!!!!

What kind of padding is on that cage?Ive been wanting to do a cage but i hate the ugly bare bar look,and i don't want the typical round bar foam padding.I like this.

onosqv

Actually, the padding looks even better now.

The padding is the dual density roll bar padding (hard inner part wrapped by softer outer part). I got mine from http://www.safedrives.com.

I got some roll bar rapz from Summit Racing & wrapped over everything, it's nice and smooth now.

Unfortunately, don't have a closeup pic of it right now, but this should give you an idea (notice how it doesn't jump from padding -> bar, just one smooth wrap around it:

leesredgt
Car: 1992 Toyota MR2 N/A
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Thanks man!

That wrap stuff you got now looks really good.If you dont mind me asking how much did it cost?

onosqv

The wrap? it's on the Summit Racing site. I bought it from there a while ago, don't remember the price, but all you have to do is go to their site & look...

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Showcase Mitsubishi is my local Diamond Star Satan. Who was driving that white Evo?

onosqv

DeXteR wrote:Showcase Mitsubishi is my local Diamond Star Satan. Who was driving that white Evo?
Tom Berry - multiple national champ famous in autox circuit (and probably beyond).

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Lookin' GOOD, QtotheV!

However, if I EVER see you rolling with the top down and the windows up, I will personally smack the Asian out of you.

onosqv

LOL, don't look for me on the highway, HAHAHAHA.

91tbma
Car: 91 240sx hatch/92 coupe

i am drooling over your vert. sexy...

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”