am i right: versa sits on a sentra platform;

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
grogman
Car: 2007 versa s hb at onyx blue

someone posted lately that the versa sedan looks like a sentra. that might be closer to the truth than we all know. if you look at the exhaust behind a sentra it is situated in the same spot as the versa. and since both the sentra and versa are built at the same factory then maybe a b platform is also a c platform. or maybe one of you intelligent posters can clear this. it's always the case that all manufacturers have entry vehicles(subcompacts) and nissan's sentra was like the carolla and grew out of that position. most entry vehicles are a loss leader to the other products they provide and i am assuming that nissan doesn't make much on base versas so you never see base versas. they are always stickered between 15- 18 grand. out.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Haven't investigated. But I would definately say NO. Manly being that Versa is based on Renault design and Sentra has been Nissan's.

alonsorules8
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Sl,HB

The Versa is on the common Renault Nissan B platform that Renault developed back in 2002 with the Renault Clio II. The Sentra is on the Nissan C platform and Renault borrowed the platform to develop the newer Renault Megane line.

Update from Renault:The 1.6L, 1.8L, and2.0L engines in all Nissan's are co-developed by Renault and Nissan. If your Versa has the manual Transmission it is a Renault unit.

biggie

alonsorules8 wrote:If your Versa has the manual Transmission it is a Renault unit.
Hence the R on the left (common of european trannys).

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

I HATE the R being on the left side. I almost wrecked my friends Jetta back in the day because of that. I had a Bronco II at the time with the standard R in the bottom right and 1st in the top left.

Out of habit, I put the shifter in R thinking it was first and stepped on the gas. Almost took out a tree.

biggie

Knightro2 wrote:I HATE the R being on the left side. I almost wrecked my friends Jetta back in the day because of that. I had a Bronco II at the time with the standard R in the bottom right and 1st in the top left.

Out of habit, I put the shifter in R thinking it was first and stepped on the gas. Almost took out a tree.
That's why there's a saftey lock.

feloniousmonk

Knightro2 wrote:I HATE the R being on the left side. I almost wrecked my friends Jetta back in the day because of that. I had a Bronco II at the time with the standard R in the bottom right and 1st in the top left.

That's not the fault of the car, but operator error (not saying you're a bad driver, mistakes happen). Personally, I'd rather mistake R for 1st (low speed situation) than R for 5th or 6th. In that context, having the R on the left is a better arrangement, if the safety lock fails.

2dr_sentra
Car: 1997 200SX SE-R, 2007 Versa SL 6spd

alonsorules8 wrote:The Versa is on the common Renault Nissan B platform that Renault developed back in 2002 with the Renault Clio II. The Sentra is on the Nissan C platform
The sentras are all B chassis. What do you mean C platform?

alonsorules8
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Sl,HB

2dr_sentra wrote:
The sentras are all B chassis. What do you mean C platform?
If you check out the Renault Nissan Alliance website it states that the Sentra is a C platform car. here is the link to the data:http://www.renault.com/renault...7.pdf

grogman
Car: 2007 versa s hb at onyx blue

just checked. wheelbase on sentra is 4 inches longer and the car is also wider. they look similar from a side door angle. when did you ever own a car which the rear windows went all the way down. i think thats awesome. have never ownrd a car where the windows in back go all the way down until this versa.

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

grogman wrote:someone posted lately that the versa sedan looks like a sentra. that might be closer to the truth than we all know. if you look at the exhaust behind a sentra it is situated in the same spot as the versa. and since both the sentra and versa are built at the same factory then maybe a b platform is also a c platform.
Exhaust exit location has NOTHING to do with platform. That's like saying that a couple of bolt holes are in the same spot relative to each other on the windshield wipers, so a Cadillac Deville and Ford F150 must be based on the same platform. Think about it for a second: architectural and engineering differences between a hatchback and sedan variant of the same car are more significant than just an exhaust exit location. The exhaust is a bit of metal pipe hanging beneath the car, not a static integral design aspect. I mean, even variants of the same car often have entirely different exhaust routing. Look at the '02-'06 Altima: the rear section of the exhaust as well as the rear bumper were entirely different on the 2.5 vs 3.5 and that's the same exact car.

The fact that they're manufactured at the same plant doesn't mean anything, either. That's not how it works.

Versa and Sentra have select common components (as with cars from any automaker), but their underlying architecture is different.
2dr_sentra wrote:The sentras are all B chassis. What do you mean C platform?
"Platform" and Chassis are different.The C platform is a unibody architecture that Nissan can adapt to various uses. Every automaker does this. For instance, EVERY SINGLE Infiniti, save the Titan-derived QX56, uses the same FM platform. They are all different cars and have different chassis designations. But they are all derived from the basic 350z unibody design (the newer ones have evolved quite a bit from the Z itself, but still have much in common with each other). The G is still a V chassis, and the M is still a Y chassis. But they're both FM platform cars.

The platform is a reference to actual engineering. The chassis code is simply a shorthand notation for the models themselves, as well as a simple way to specify certain variable aspects (like engine or market variants).

krissj2001
Car: Toyota Corolla

Return to “Versa General Chat”