Alternator replacement on a 1993 Infinity J30

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
billg13
Car: 1993 Infinity J30

Does anyone have any tips or step by step instructions for replacing the Alternator on a 1993 Infinity J30. I have removed the long top bolt and the small bottom bolt used along with the tension adjustment bold. But the Alternator seems to be connected to a couple of plastic boxes on the top of the alternator. It seems like I may have to take the tension bracket off and the slide the alternator out towards the front of the car. Does this make any sense to anyone.

Ebbtide

yep, you might just need to loosen it (bracket) up to get it to move out of the way. It

The alt may take a little twisting and such to get it out, so unplug it first if you can. IIRC, you have to move the alt forward and up, then down and back to get it out. It's a but of a pain, but pretty simple.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Welcome to NICO fellow Texan !!

You did get an OEM alternator right ??Or at least OEM rebuilt.

billg13

Thanks for the welcome. I am new to this site.

Actually I was going to get one from Autozone. I have seen mixed comments on the site. Some say that you have to be nuts to by one from Autozone and could cause various other electrical problems. Still others have said they have had one from Autozone for two year without a problem.

What are you thoughts? Is the only place to get an OEM, from the dealer?

coolyun_98
Car: 1993 J30 11,7000kM

I got OEM remanufactured one from http://www.nissanparts.org for about $180. Very good deal.

billg13

That is a good deal. I just looked at that site and the J30 Alternator is now $253

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

If you don't want downtime for the vehicle, operability problems down the road or headaches get an OEM Nissan unit, otherwise try your luck and pick one up from Autozone. Most people on this board past and present have had to do the alternator job again with an OEM Nissan unit down the road.

billg13

It is hard to tell yet if I made a mistake but I got an alternator from Autozone. It cost about 150.00 with tax and my old core. The did test my old core in front of me on a machine and it did say it was faulty which I kind of already know. It worked perfectly, but time will tell.

As far as replacing it, I decided to leave off the plastic cable housing. I tried getting all the cables pluged in with it on but when I decided to start over and take it off, I probably put the alternator completly back together in less then 30 minutes. That plastic cable housing made it difficult to get off and back on. Looking at the cable afterwards is does not look to me like it was needed, but that is just my opinion from looking at it. If I do have a problem with this new Alternator, I think I can get it out and back in, in less then an hour.

Gerardjg
Car: 2007 Cobalt LS
2011 Hyundai Accent
2016 Kia Optima

I have put 35k on my autozone alternator, It was installed several weeks prior to my purchase of the car With I lifetime warranty

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”