Alternative to factory fuel pump controller

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
justjuiceit4
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SXs, (Coupe and Convertible) 1994 Infiniti Q45

Found this the other day and figured this would be a good alternative to the factory unit. Also, Q45s are becoming more rare in the junkyards nowadays.
http://www.z1motorsports.com/product_in ... ts_id=4132

Clyons0203
Car: SLK55, Talon TSi, G35, Q45

How about just jumping the pin to ground and run the pump on full battery voltage like most cars. The stock regulator will over run. Just replace that with an adjustable unit for $90.

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

Clyons0203 wrote:How about just jumping the pin to ground and run the pump on full battery voltage like most cars. The stock regulator will over run. Just replace that with an adjustable unit for $90.
IIRC, one of the justifications for the original scheme was that it helped the fuel pump last longer.

Basically, the pump only worked hard when it actually needed to.

justjuiceit4
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SXs, (Coupe and Convertible) 1994 Infiniti Q45

I think I remember reading that running it full speed all the time will greatly reduce the life of the pump.

Changing out the regulator means you need to take off the manifold, which we all know is not a super fun job!

Clyons0203
Car: SLK55, Talon TSi, G35, Q45

Every car I have had including other early Infinitis have had single speed fuel controllers. None have had a pump that can support 6-700hp like the Q45 pump can though. Being able to support that kind of power is a pump that flows a lot. It pumps so much it will overrun the factory pressure regulator. So Nissan decided to control the pump thru different grounds\resistors inside the control unit. The voltage to the pump is always full battery voltage, the grounds are just limited in how much voltage they let across the pump. I think this is the reason the pumps go out so quick. I have seen these pumps in 240sx swaps last longer without the control unit.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”