Alloy wheel cleaner?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
charmessence
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

Good Sunday everyone! Im in search ofa good alloy wheel.cleaner for my '97 q45. The regular spray on stuff just hasnt cut it and im in search of a decent alloy wax

charmessence

Should i use oven cleaner?

QueenV
Car: 1997 Q45 170,250m Silver/Black
Done: 2 knock & 1 oxygen sensors, L. L. Control Arm, Tie Rod, Radiator, Battery, Exhaust pipe and now looking at front struts. This Q made me fall in love with driving.

I have resorted to using oven cleaner on my wheels to get rid of the clear coat that was half hanging on and making it look motley. $1 at the dollar store.

charmessence

QueenV wrote:I have resorted to using oven cleaner on my wheels to get rid of the clear coat that was half hanging on and making it look motley. $1 at the dollar store.

Im thinking of using it but have read it can cause some damage to the alloy

QueenV
Done: 2 knock & 1 oxygen sensors, L. L. Control Arm, Tie Rod, Radiator, Battery, Exhaust pipe and now looking at front struts. This Q made me fall in love with driving.

As all disclaimers say: Test in a small area first. But if you google alloy and oven cleaner, you won't see stories about damage. Just "I heard" warnings. Some say rubber will be affected, other say they have been using it for 30 years with no problems. If you're worried, then don't.

I used Aircraft Remover at $10/bottle as well on my aluminum wheels. I felt like I should have been in a hazmat suit. Thank god I'm too old to reproduce now. The Aircraft remover and the Oven cleaner both did just about as well, and the oven cleaner was cheap enough to use for multiple coats. Plus I clean with it every other week in the kitchen. I'm afraid to reuse the Aircraft Remover after just one application. Yes, it was better, but not by much and I'm not sure it was worth it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... n_alloy_wh

charmessence

Thx for the info. Mine definitely have clear coat on them. I think I will use a little more elbow greese and try some alloy polish which I have never used before

QueenV

My "clear coat" was at about 40% left, with 60% percent of it gone. I had to remove it, no choice. But definitely do not use Oven Cleaner or Aircraft Remover if your clear coat is in good shape.

charmessence

Thx for info! I went with turtle wax alloy/metal polish and give it about about 2.5 to 3 out of a high of 5 pts

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”