Aligment shop full of dummies or just me?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
jiggersplat
Car: 2008 Infiniti M45x
1995 Toyota Supra TT 6-spd

Installed some Eibachs and SPC front and rear camber arms. Took the car in for an alignment. The shop was not able to get the rear toe into spec, fine. They claimed that they would set the toe as close spec as possible and then as soon as they tried to adjust the camber, it would throw the toe way out. There was also a bit of a langauge barrier. The shop owner (who speaks english) told me it was the same problem for the front, but the tech (who barely speaks english) sounded like he just didn't bother trying to adjust the front camber because you have to take the wheel off and it was too inconvenient. At any rate, it sounds like they at least got the rear toe close but camber both front and rear is not in spec. I think front was at -2.5; not sure about the rear numbers.

1) Is it true that adjusting the rear camber affects the rear toe? Looking at the suspension geometry, I'm willing to believe this.
2) Is it true taht adjusting the front camber affects the toe? I'm less willing to believe this based on the suspension geometry.

Do I need to just take the car to a different shop, or should I get the SPC toe bolts (http://www.spcalignment.com/component/s ... &pid=72265) and then try again?

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

Yes, adjusting the camber could affect the toe. Your invisioniing the geometry of this car based on perfectly perpendicular angles, arms, connections, and movements.

Mine wasnt fully in spec for the front left camber either(I didn't drop the back), i dont remember exactly how much, but it was very close so i wasnt too worried. Based on that, I'm not surprised the rear Isn't fully in spec.

Always get a print out when you do this, if they cant give a printout go somewhere else. I waited 2weeks for my shop to get there machine together and then went somewhere else because I demanded a printout.

I dont understand something, in your first sentance you say you got front and rear camber arms, and your last paragraph you say you need to get rear camber bolts. I didnt think they made camber arms for this car only bolts so I assumed you meant these bolts. So what exactly is happening down there?

jiggersplat

I said rear *toe* bolts.

They do make rear camber arms. The following link shows the camber arms and the toe bolts.

http://www.spcalignment.com/component/s ... &pid=72260

I asked for a printout when they were done and of course their printer was broken so I asked to just go look at the screen but they had already shut the system off.
Last edited by jiggersplat on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

I was always taught back in my wrenching days to perform toe adjustments last. This was by both the alignment guys I worked with as well as the few alignment machine instructors that I recall getting instruction from.
Am I reading the SPC site correctly that you need to drill to get the toe bolts to fit?

jiggersplat

That's correct. You widen the hole for the factory toe bolt and replace it with the SPC toe bolt that allows a larger range of adjustment.

mexillis
Car: M45s

Ive had my rear camber set to -3.5 with oem arms and they got the toe in spec, im sure the aftermarket one's should be able to @ -6 camber. You should search for an alingment shop that does a ton of lowered cars and has reviews. It might cost more but is well worth it since you already spent the money for adjustability. Def get a print out or see it when they set it so you know your toe is in spec or your tires will be needing replacement soon.

mexillis
Car: M45s

P tuning should be able to help out, fyi... http://www.ptuning.com/subdir/services.cfm

jiggersplat

Thanks for the link @mexillis! I *did* take it to a performance shop thinking they would have more experience with lowered cars but I get the feeling they don't do many alignments or maybe just got their alignment rack.

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

jiggersplat wrote:I said rear *toe* bolts.

They do make rear camber arms. The following link shows the camber arms and the toe bolts.

http://www.spcalignment.com/component/s ... &pid=72260

I asked for a printout when they were done and of course their printer was broken so I asked to just go look at the screen but they had already shut the system off.
Smh, you know the sad thing, I have those in my closet and forgot all about them because i disnt bother to lower my rears. Worst my boy asked me for them and I forgot. Imagine I bought them for that purpose and I'm saying they dont exist :facepalm: .

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”