Air conditioning NOT cooling

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
rafa2210
Car: 2004 nissan 350z roadster

I searched ALL over the forum for my answer, but was unsuccessful.

SO, the a/c was not cooling very well. I thought it needed gas since I have put 60,000miles on it and never serviced the A/C. I filled it up with gas (not entirely but a whole can), and now it cools decently when it is parked but as soon as I get on the highway, it does not cool anymore. anyone has any suggestions on what it can be?
also, does anyone know what pressure it is suposed to have? it currently has 40.

Thank you

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

have you cheacked the service manual for the pressure?

xtwoonamatchx
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

Well where are you located? Here in MD its over 100 degrees with the heat index, mine isnt cooling very well either, especially today, but according to the dealer, that is normal at this kind of heat...

rafa2210

I couldnt find anything about the pressure in the manual.
I am located in Florida. I know its usually very hot here, but even if I dont use the car during the day and go out at 12am when its nice and fresh, it cools when Im stopped but not on the highway.
I had happened to me with other cars before, but it has always been the other way around. Cooling on the highway and not in the city.

A friend told me yesterday that when he refilled the gas on his a/c, it did the same thing until he had driven about four hours. I have driven about 1hr. I am waiting patiently...

bigdaddychia
Car: 2007 Versa 2006 Quest

U have u changed ur radiator fluid. If not do that. Mine wasnt cooling and it turned out that the fan was working harder to keep the radiator cooled instead of keeping the ac cool

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Radiator check is a good idea. One other thought: Is your air source slider set on recirculating the inside air or are you pulling in the 100* outside air? Sometimes the simplest things get overlooked.

From my experience high heat combined with high humidity is going to decrease efficiency, too.

NCJack
Car: 2007 Versa SL

Air conditioners are serviced and filled based on volume of coolant, and not just pressure. If you added a can yourself, and the compressor stops engaging, use a pointy tool to depress on the low side valve to release some pressure like you would a bike tire.

If the AC is intermittent, that would indicate moisture or air in the system, causing freezing in the condensor (or is it the evaporator?).

Either way, pray that it stabilizes after a few driving hours, or attempt to drain some out like i said and refill according to the directions on the can. If you want it done right, take it to a pro, they have the tools to do this right and legally.

Regards,
Jack

rafa2210

Thanks. I will lookg into the coolant and all that stuff. I got another can today to try an drain some gas and then refill. Idk where you are from, but here in Florida, 99% of dealers and autoshops make you replace the condensor when the a/c stops cooling. It is really hard to find a mechanic that would fill the gas without changing any parts. At least it has been for me. I have taken the versa but I have taken my previews cars and even after replacing the condensor, if the new mechanic didnt know I had done it he would tell me its broken and needs to be replaced.

daan
Car: 08 S base

I have an 08, the AC worked fine until earilier this summer when it started being real noisy, and not cooling well. I took it in, and apparently it needs a new compressor and some sort of hose that is on nationwide backorder. THis is in Minnesota/WIsconsin so I can live with open windows for a while but you southern guys NEED air! Anyway you might want to have someone look at your system.

rafa2210

Ok, so here's what I did. I emptyed the system through the Valve you guys told me. Once it was empty, I filled it up with one 1/2 cans of the gas or w.e. it is. It didnt take anymore than that. The a/c started to turn ON and OFF alternatively every few seconds. So I started to drain some of the gas out little by little until is stayed ON.

Problem Solved! :woot:

Thank you everyone!

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”