Air Bag Sign Blinking on 1998 Infiniti I30

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
edpapaj13
Car: 1998 Infiniti I30

Hi Everyone, got my main starting problem on my car fixed, thank God!! I'm trying to fix these little other problems. Anyone knows a way to disable the Blinking Air Bag Sign? It started a few years when I hit a huge pothole, then after restartiing the car the light wouldn't stop blinking. Any advise would be helpfull!!

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Removing the air bag fuse should disable the system. I believe it's a 10amp fuse on the lower left side of the fuse panel.

edpapaj13

Thanks for the quick reply. If I remove the fuse, will all the airbags be diactivated during, hopefully not, an accident?? I really don't know what the blinking light means but I know it can't be good.

rxm6
Car: '93 240sx

maxhopper97 wrote:Removing the air bag fuse should disable the system. I believe it's a 10amp fuse on the lower left side of the fuse panel.
Yes, it does disable the system but It doesn't get rid of the light....it just stops the blinking. You really only have 3 options to get rid of that light. 1) Do the Airbag Reset that is posted somewhere around here in the tech articles 2) Re-flash (don't know the validity of this one) or install a new airbag module 3) Open up the the gauge cluster and remove or disable the airbag light.

edpapaj13

I tried the airbad reset. I think you do something with the thing on the drivers door like you press it a few times then turn the engine off then on again. I went with the instructions but it didn't get rid of it. If I get rid of the fuse and it will stay steady red then its the same as blinking. I have been seeing it for the past 2 years I guess I will put up with it for a little longer. It hasnt given me a problem with inspection or anything like that.

k2tone
Car: 99 Infiniti I30t

I had the light on for a year or so...but this worked for me.

While the car is off, open the door, and turn the key to the on position and press the door side switch at LEAST 5 times within 7 seconds (personally, I just kept pushing the switch as many times as I could during 7 seconds)

- After doing that, wait one second

- Now move the key to the (1) position (between LOCK & Accessory)

- Close the door, move the key back to the LOCK position and then start the engine.

jefs99
Car: 1998 Infiniti i30

k2tone - Thank you so much for that post! Like many others I've paid to have that blinking air bag light dealt with, only to have it return a few months later.

One minor alteration of your instructions worked for me: The (1) position on my 1998 i30's ignition IS the LOCK position. So instead of stopping midway between LOCK and Accessory, and failing each time, I simply turned the key all the way to the (1) LOCK position. Once I stopped trying to go midway between LOCK and Accessory...it worked like a charm! Thanks again!!

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Welcome to NICO.

YOu can get a lot of info from the 'sticky' "The Most Important..." in this forum. In fact, the SRS Reset Procedure is there...

How to reset SRS(air bag) light:

Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button located low on the B pillar, a button which is pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7 seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF. Close the driver's door. Start the engine.

If the airbag warning lamp is still on (or still flashing), there is a fault in the Supplemental Restraint System which must be diagnosed and repaired. This is a job for your local friendly Nissan dealer.

kingcase33
Car: 1998 infinity i30

i tried to reset the passenger airbag and it just made the light start blinking slower is there a coding i can go by that will tell me what wrong with it?????

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”