aftermarket strut/shock question......

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
tupac03602

ok at first i was goin to go with eibach pro kit springs and kyb agx adjustible gas shocks. everyone told me that that is a good setup unless i go to coilovers, which i do believe. one thing has changed, i went for a ride with a kid i know in his honda del sol (dont know tha year) and he did have the kyb agx along with tha eibach pro kit and they were too stiff for tha new hampshire roads. the car was totally unstable, well thats a lil far fetched but u get tha idea. any ways i went out and boutgt kyb gr2's instead. what my q is is to maybe help varify, what kinds of roads are the kyb agx struts/shocks for???? im obviously guessin track, but im also guessin mainly flat land just help me out plz

Drift Machine
Car: 1991 KA-T 240sx

The honduh kid probably had his set on 4 in the front and 8 in the rear (stiffest settings).

tupac03602

uh actually he told me he had them set to the lowest (softest) he could have them. like i said i think its just tha road conditions but i duno, thats y i asked what kinds of roads (if any particular roads apply) they should be ment for, if u know what i mean

Drift Machine
Car: 1991 KA-T 240sx

It could just be the roads. But I'm really happy with my AGXs, they have never seemed like they were too stiff when I had them set to the lowest setting.

F4ucc
Car: motorsports

It really depends on your personal taste.

As for me, I am running Tokico HTS with KG/MM S-21 springs with 6.6 kg/mm front and 5.2 kg/mm rear. As long as I set shocks on soft side, it's still quite comfortable. My HTS can support spring rate up to 12 kg/mm (about 680 lbs/ft)

The springs rate of Prokit is about 2.5 kg/mm (around 150 lbs/ft only) With wide range damper adjustment from AGX, it should be on Over-damped side. KYB AGX combines with Ebach Prokit supposedly isn't harsh at all as they are like 30% stiffer than stock setting.

You might want to stay with typical American Boats......just kidding.

Guess the Honda kid cuts his springs and sets his AGX on softest side, result in Under-damped which generally gives you harsh ride.

later

that180guy
Car: cars&girls...cut the last part out

F4ucc -

How do those S21s on HTS's feel?I too, am leaning torwards a setup similar to yours. kg/mm S21 5.2 frnt & 4.6 rr with HTS shocks. What Im thinking is it really worth it rather den the standard agx/eibach setup?+ the only place Ive found that imports it is SKR Performance?

PS - I take u have the supersports? What part of the bay area are u from?

F4ucc

Hi that180SX.

Well, my KG/MM is rated as "RACING" on KG/MM's list as I prefer single spring rate. Hum, it really depends on how you use the car, prograssive springs provide both comfort and some serious street drving, however it sucks on track at least I feel that way.

I bought my KG/MM S-21 from a local shop "named AUTOFIX" in Bayarea. If my memory serves me correctly I paid around 300 shipped which is probably the cheapest that I could find. " Lots guys ask for 350+"

As far as ride goes, I feel quite comfortable as long as I set HTS on soft side about 6-7 turns from stiffest setting. By the way, since HTS lacks rebound damper, which is intentionally designed that way for drifiting, you kind of feel the car tend to float around over bump. If you don't use HTS for drifting, perhaps Koni sports would be a better choice as Koni provides much more rebound damper. You have to be a good driver to drift KONI, otherwise you will have to spend lots of energy fighting fishtail!!

Oh, I got my HTS directly from one of my buddies in Japan which saves me lots of $$. If you have to pay more than $650 shipped, perhaps KYB AGX is a better choice since they are more like $350-400 a set. Somehow, Tein HE seems to be a best buy. around $1350, I guess.

My case, I paid nearly $1000 for HTS,S-21 springs, and CUSCO adj front camber plates PLUS some mis-items such as new shock bushings..etc. Still, I don't have the beauty of height adjustment provided by coilover. It's really up to you.

Hum, went to last drifting event with my setup, WOW......much easier to handle the drift angle and you have lot more time to correct the car while staying sideways.

PS: I feel that 6.6 kg/mm is still too soft on race track I might go with 8kg/mm with custom-mde coilover for front shocks eventually.

Just my thought.

that180guy

Thnx for the info F4ucc

This is just pre-planning for me. I plan on keepin my current pig-nose stock for now, n learning that way. I plan modding a newer s13, wen i can source a good one for a decent price.

Those HTS's......low rebound sound nice tho......I bet u can pull some nice chuko's with them. Im going to see if i can get them, but if ther "that" much more den agxs, forget it. But i think im going to stick with the S21 springs.

Going to Japan as a family vacation this summer, hopefully i can score a set and maybe some other goodies:D

ps - u went to the club 4ag event at thunderhill, like 2 weeks ago? sweet...

o yea, can u tell me where this "AUTOFIX" is at? Japantown?

F4ucc

Yeah, I went to Thuderhill on Jan 25th. Lots of fun as we in drift groupe had one side of track. I personally prefer smaller track with lots of corners; let's say 2nd gear turns. The best part was we were allowed to do basically whatever you wanted. Although I am still far from good but I did have good time.

Choku Dori?? "did you mean straight line dori??" if so, l have not yet tried that. I only feel comfortable doing 2nd gear long drift on skidpad. (big circle stuff); some feint, accel off stuffs.Anyway, good luck.Perhaps, we should hook up sometimes.

As for the location of AUTOFIX, it's located in San Carlos, you could reach him at following #:650-802-8851, shop owner is ROY.

Good Luck.

that180guy

Thx again for the info.

I wanted to go to Thunderhill, but I dont know what stoped me. Some guys I know went tho.I thought "Chuko Dori" meant long drift, not just straight line drift:confused:

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”