aftermarket headlights question

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
FD3S

i recently installed some aftermarket halogens for my versa, but for some reason, i see less with them. is it possible that i put the bulbs upside down or does it not matter? they are 4500k. thanks!

weems84
Car: Versa SL

When you get a higher kelvin bulb it doesn't mean that it it brighter. It gives off a whiter light that is more natural. If this a cheap bulb or some ricer bulbs of ebay they will not help. If your want to just change the bulbs for brighter output get some Sylvania silverstars. Can get them at most auto parts dealers. Its not possible to put them in upside down.

Shad0wXCalibur
Car: Nissan Versa SL Sedan

Silverstars are just as ricey. They're blue bulbs to give a whiter light but aren't actually any brighter. Should have kept your stock headlights and purchased the H4 65/70 watt hyper Osrams from rallylights.com. They produce great results and won't damage anything only being 10 watts higher than stock. And aftermarket headlights doesn't automatically mean better. I think the stockers already do great.

my_new_v
Car: 2008 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

Ricey? They are the top recommended headlight bulb for any car. Look at the stats man, they are brighter and whiter than any stock bulb...unless you buy a bmw with those hid's lol.

my_new_v

Heres a picture comparing the standard halogen and your "ricey" silverstars

And for the record, Osram makes Silverstar
FD3S wrote:i recently installed some aftermarket halogens for my versa, but for some reason, i see less with them. is it possible that i put the bulbs upside down or does it not matter? they are 4500k. thanks!
I too recommend the silverstars bro. I have them for my head lights and my fog lights and my stock lights dont even compare to the silverstars.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

I thought Sylvania makes SilverStars?

Skim302
Car: Nissan Versa S

Shad0wXCalibur wrote:Silverstars are just as ricey. They're blue bulbs to give a whiter light but aren't actually any brighter. Should have kept your stock headlights and purchased the H4 65/70 watt hyper Osrams from rallylights.com. They produce great results and won't damage anything only being 10 watts higher than stock. And aftermarket headlights doesn't automatically mean better. I think the stockers already do great.
How could you call Silverstars ricey? They are brighter than stock and give off a whiter more clear light. And I think your the first person I have ever heard call light bulbs ricey. I swear everything is considered ricey these days

my_new_v

Skim302 wrote:
How could you call Silverstars ricey? They are brighter than stock and give off a whiter more clear light. And I think your the first person I have ever heard call light bulbs ricey. I swear everything is considered ricey these days
haha yeah i dont see how lights can be ricey.
Knightro2 wrote:I thought Sylvania makes SilverStars?
From what I read, Osram and Sylvania are the same company. Im trying to look into it more so dont qoute me on that lol

Quote »RICER (Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder - Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747 - Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool - Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself - Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire - Clear tail lights and corner signals - A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine) - Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therfore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the case.

The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles. [/quote]Nothing in the about lights

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Yup, they are known as OSRAM SYLVANIA. You are correct sir..well..ok I'll split it with you. You were 50% right and I was the other 50%.

Shad0wXCalibur
Car: Nissan Versa SL Sedan

Osram Silverstars are NOT ricey. I was talking about the Sylvannia ones that you can get from Autozone or Walmart. PIAA bulbs, IMO, suck as well. Sylvannia Silverstars are acceptable but they are not super bright like people think. They just LOOK it. Here's a good read on it: http://www.danielsternlighting....html

And Osram and Sylvannia are supposedly the same company but the bulbs are not the same.

And I suppose that these Silverstars wouldn't fit the ricey thing. They are legal output and color temp and don't distract. They just aren't super bright like most peopel think. I see a lot of fart can ricers around here though with blue bulbs that actually do look blue and some even have purple bulbs.
Modified by Shad0wXCalibur at 8:48 AM 12/3/2008

my_new_v

Shad0wXCalibur wrote:Silverstars are just as ricey.
Shad0wXCalibur wrote:Osram Silverstars are NOT ricey.
All i have to say is....

feloniousmonk

my_new_v wrote:
Isn't that photographic "evidence" provided by the bulb manufacturer? Do you always believe everything that is told by someone trying to sell you something? What appears brighter to the human eye doesn't always equate to seeing more.

Whiter light does allow more contrast in (see the difference in the definition of the painted line in the picture closer to the car), but it also scatters more quickly than standard "yellow" halogen (can't cheat quantum physics)... this means less light being reflected back to your eyes; seeing less. Bulbs are just light sources. How much of the road you see down range is more of the function of the headlight optics (projectors or reflectors). No matter what light source you use, whether it's halogen bulbs or HID capsules, you are still limited by the factory headlights and their reflectors. The picture above looks to me to be not of low beam to low beam comparisons but low beam to high beam. You can clearly see it in how the light is casted down the road. Without altering the optics, there is no way you can get that kind of light output by just changing bulbs.

Here's a trusted online FAQ on lighting that's been around for nearly 10 years, if not more. Educate yourself before wasting your money. http://www.danielsternlighting....html

#1Tango

gapteeth
my_new_v wrote:

if my low beams projected like that i would cause so many accidents i think those are high beams in the silverstar pick like wat feloniousmonk was sayin

Versafied
Car: 2008 Versa SL 6spd Black on black

Yes, sylvania makes ricey headlights. They have the ultra blue lights that I think look a little silly. But on the whole the company offers the best after market bulbs that I know of. I have the Ultra's on my car and they are not ricey at all. And they are brighter and whiter then the stock light.. I would suggest them to anyone..

my_new_v

feloniousmonk wrote:
Isn't that photographic "evidence" provided by the bulb manufacturer? Do you always believe everything that is told by someone trying to sell you something? What appears brighter to the human eye doesn't always equate to seeing more.

Whiter light does allow more contrast in (see the difference in the definition of the painted line in the picture closer to the car), but it also scatters more quickly than standard "yellow" halogen (can't cheat quantum physics)... this means less light being reflected back to your eyes; seeing less. Bulbs are just light sources. How much of the road you see down range is more of the function of the headlight optics (projectors or reflectors). No matter what light source you use, whether it's halogen bulbs or HID capsules, you are still limited by the factory headlights and their reflectors. The picture above looks to me to be not of low beam to low beam comparisons but low beam to high beam. You can clearly see it in how the light is casted down the road. Without altering the optics, there is no way you can get that kind of light output by just changing bulbs.

Here's a trusted online FAQ on lighting that's been around for nearly 10 years, if not more. Educate yourself before wasting your money. http://www.danielsternlighting....html
the only reason why i posted that pic is because i have realized a difference in how far the light travels (see further) I still have my stock bulbs for my truck, when I get it back ill get a video of the stock bulbs low/high beams on and then the silverstars

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

Quote »RICER(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt) A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder - Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747 - Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool - Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself - Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire - Clear tail lights and corner signals - A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine) - Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therfore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the case.

The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles. [/quote]That reads like Russian Bulls mod list!

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”