Aftermarket amp on bose system

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
06pathyman
Car: 2006 Pathfinder LE

I know this has been touched on a few times already but I'm trying to get a clear answer on if you can or can not add a aftermarket amp and sub to a stock Bose system. I have a 06 Pathfiner LE and I need a lil more thump back there if you know what I mean... I would really like to replace all the speakers on the system with something that can crank a lil higher. I would like to keep the stock head unit for now until I have the cash to put a touch screen CD/NAV unit in.. Let me know what the options are.. One thought would be to some how use the stock Bose amp to power the door speakers and use the aftermarket to power the new subs... I dont know, maybe i'm juyst talking out of my a$$ I would have to look at a diagram of the system to tell you if that could even work.

Thanks

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

This should help

zerothread?id=53362

miamiheat3332
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE - 2006 BMW X5 4.8is - 2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Sport

it would work, i don't know how much the bose system setup changed from the r50 to the r51 pathy you have, lets say for now it didnt change much,

there should be a Bose amp behind either the left or right side panels in your trunk.

What you would do is get a line output converter, wire taps,

the line output converter is needed so you can take the sound off the existing wiring and turn it into RCA so you can plug it into the amp.

lets see you'd need to run power wire from the battery, to the back, don't know where there might be an opening in the r51;s firewall. i couldn't find one when i was doing so i just drilled a hole in it. ( i have an r50)

then you would mount your amp wherever in the trunk, along with the subs, but be sure to make them face the rear for the most resonance and bang out of them.

i also did the same thing you want to do on my pathy using the bose system etc. and adding subs.

all in all you need.

Line output converter.

the one i used: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1...=2001

Wire Taps so you can take the signal from existing wiring to the Amplifier of subs

ones i used: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_6...p=990

Amplifier for the subs.

Wiring kit, preferably get 4 gauge or larger. (lower the gauge, bigger the wire, and can supply more power etc.)

Subs with an enclosure or make one yourself etc.

Don't know what kind of budget your on etc. i was on a tight one, and my system cost me 290$ with everything, line output converter, amp, subs etc. everything else is stock bose system.

video of how it plays here:

zer...ystem

and you can see how my system looks here.

zer...inder

ask if you need any more help, or PM etc.

Modified by miamiheat3332 at 6:56 PM 6/27/2009

importunerdj

sorry for bringing up an old thread..but i rather do this then start a new one lol.

now lets say on dont want to use the stock HU...i have my aftermarket one.

can i still use the bose speakers? i been reading online and it states its going to be a problem with an aftermarket amp and radio..i cant see why..

just inquiring on this..also where can i run the power gauge wire from the batt?

do i have to drill a hole or is there a hole?? im a little squimish if i have to drill..lol

TheReplay

awesome bump, glad there others interested besides me...

In a perfect world, id like to replace the interior speakers, replace the head unit, and replace the amplifier --- In that same perfect world id like to smash open the bose head unit to find out what kind of cassette is stuck in there, then take all the factory hardware, throw it in a fire pit, douse with a bit of gasoline and throw a match onto the pile.

But id like to know how involved this process is... obviously id have to run RCA's and power wire from battery/head unit to the new amp in back... not a problem. The only thing im worried about is in the past ive always used the existing stock speaker wiring.

I dont know if this is possible as ive read the 01+ qx4's door speaker have an amp directly adjacent to the speaker. In that case id have to fool with running new wiring to the speakers which could turn into a pain in the a**... - is this the case?

slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

If you want to use the bose speakers you can use the speaker lines that are hooked to the original HU. The only thing extra you have to do is use the amp turn on wire that is already supplied.

The reason people have problems is they hook up a new deck hook up all existing wires and cant figure out why the speakers wont play. The reason they wont play is because all the stock speakers are run off amps of there own and these amps also need to be turned on by a remote wire.

mda185
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE

There are no speaker wires going from the factory Bose head unit to the speakers in the front and rear doors in 01-04 Pathfinders. I am not sure about earlier and later models. There are preamp level wires going to the Bose amplifiers in the front doors and behind the left rear trim panel at the back of the cargo area. There is a Metra adapter cable that will allow you to hook up an aftermarket head unit to the factory connectors behind the dash. This cable takes care of the remote turn on for the Bose amps.

This will allow you to use your aftermarket head unit with the Bose amps and speakers but there is a problem if your head unit does not put out at least 4 volts through its preamp outputs. The Bose amplifiers in the doors need a high voltage signal to drive them properly. Most head units only have a 2 volt output and this will sound bad with the Bose amps and speakers. I got around this by installing a preamp between my Alpine head unit and the Bose amps. It is an old school Precision Power PAR-225 that has a 9 volt RMS output and it sounds great with the Bose amps and speakers. I would not call this high end stereo sound but it probably is as good as one can get the Bose stuff to sound. It is much cleaner than the factory head unit.

Next step for me is to install aftermarket amplifiers in the back and replace the Bose amps and speakers with better equipment. I am in the process of building that system now. I would post pictures if I could figure out how. Do I need a minimum number of posts before being allowed to post pictures?
Modified by mda185 at 8:02 PM 10/31/2009

ironically
Car: 06 pathfinder

so did you end up replacing the amp? do you still have the factory bose?
i'd like to buy it from you.

builderbond
Car: 2001 Pathfinder

Replacing a Car Stereo / Head Unit on a 2001 Pathfinder with Factory Bose System

I bought a used 2001 Pathfinder for my daughter and discovered after buying it that the 6 CD changer didn't work. Evidently that's a common problem but after pulling it out I realized fixing the thing was a dead issue.
Anyway, decided to replace the unit with an inexpensive aftermarket unit and move on. As I started checking into the situation I learned from various boards that the Bose system had a power amp in the rear and two other power amps at the speakers in the front doors. That means you need to get a head unit with RCA line out's to feed to the Bose power amps. The Bose power amp likes 4 volts line out.
So here is was worked great. Bought a Clarion double DIN head unit CX501 ( this unit has 3 pairs RCA line out, one for left/right front, one for left right rear and one for a future powered sub if you want)
I was really stressing about how much money and hassle it would end up being to replace this thing but it was very easy.
All you need to put the thing in is a Metra 99-7417 harness adapter and connect the adapter to the Clarion CX501 wires. Literally just match up the the colors. Has remote power switch for the power amps integrated into the harness adapter. I put the black power amp ground on the 99-7417 to the head unit ground ( there are two wires hooked to the ground coming out of the Clarion) It uses the preexisting factory bracket as well! The only other thing you need is an antenna adapter and steering control adapter if you want. (I didn't do the steering controls)
Plugged the thing in and it works like a charm. The Clarion puts out 4v on the line out. I really lucked out in that regard because I was considering a Sony WX-GT77UI but decided I like the Clarion look better ( turns out the Sony only puts out 2V on the lines out )
Sounds Great, Looks Great and Works Great!

Here is what you need:
Clarion CX501
Metra 99-7417 adapter
Nissan Antenna Adapter

You can buy the unit at Sonic for $200 and get the antenna adapter and 99-7417 for free. Used factory brackets of old Bose. (hard as hell to get off, don't strip them!) You don't need the bag of plastic brackets they send if you have the old one.

That's It!
Good Luck!

Dynastyfool
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

Say can you show me them pics again "Miamiheat3332" and I like the thump that you got too, saw that ... wanna get that ... cant really get a good look at it off the link

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”