AEM Series 2/ RB25 No Start Help?

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
ContestofSpeed
Car: 1990 Nissan 240SX RB25DET

Hey Guys,

Getting beat up by this!
Setup:

Series 2 RB25DET
Tomei Poncams
Precision 6262
Deatschwerks 740cc Injectors
Walbro 255
Nissan OE Coilpacks
AEM Series 2
AEM MAP/IAT
AEM CAS Disk/Mitsu CAS
Wiring Specialties Engine and Trans Harness

Issue:

Cranks but no start. We have fuel. We have spark but the spark seems to come and go. Spark will start strong but then drop out. This seems to vary with the coil pack however, making me suspect the coils are on their way out.

This setup (w/ stock injectors) ran okay on the stock ecu with an apexi safc before the new harness and ecu, I know it is mechanically fine.

Any ideas? Experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Dan

Email: [email protected]

chad b.
Car: chocolate chip kouki

are you getting normal readings from the TPS, MAP, and IAT?

StockAsFuhS14
Car: Bone stock S14

ive never heard of a vehicle cranking but not starting while having fuel and spark unless its on the wrong stroke mechanically.... so id love to hear how this turns out...what about CKP?

boostedh23a1
Car: Datsun 240Z
Datsun 280Z

post a screenshot of your Coils/Inj Tab.

ContestofSpeed

chad b. wrote:are you getting normal readings from the TPS, MAP, and IAT?
Yes, they seem to be reading okay. TPS has a range of .5V to 4.2V, MAP reads 1.67V, 0 PSIG at KOEO, IAT reads correct temp. You had an issue with TPS and MAP wiring with your wiring specialties harness, correct?
StockAsFuhS14 wrote:ive never heard of a vehicle cranking but not starting while having fuel and spark unless its on the wrong stroke mechanically.... so id love to hear how this turns out...what about CKP?
True, but if the fuel or spark is timed incorrectly, she won't start either. Cam and crank signal from the CAS seem to be okay, at least from the AEM screen.

The car actually started (ran poorly and on 5cyl) when we changed the 'number of teeth' setting on the wheel to 20 (if I remember correctly, a friend was working the car at this time)
boostedh23a1 wrote:post a screenshot of your Coils/Inj Tab.

Thanks!

Dan

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

your injectors are not on man... put check boxes in there.

ContestofSpeed

boostedh23a1 wrote:your injectors are not on man... put check boxes in there.
I wish that were the case, we turned them off when that screen shot was taken because we were testing spark. (My injector harness connector is a pain to plug and unplug)

Was your ign timing way off from where it should be?

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

Damn, I thought that was too easy...No not really. Is your key way in your cam for the CAS still there? (granted im a rb26 guy...)

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

any luck?

chad b.

Yes, they seem to be reading okay. TPS has a range of .5V to 4.2V, MAP reads 1.67V, 0 PSIG at KOEO, IAT reads correct temp. You had an issue with TPS and MAP wiring with your wiring specialties harness, correct?

No, I have a ChaseBays. It had so many problems that we had to completely disassemble it and check every wire in it and make some changes to wires that were pinned wrong. What it came down to on mine is I had fire, fuel, and timing, but it would not crank. Reason: my values for IAT and MAP were whacked out because they were wired wrong in the harness. If this happens, the AEM will not engage startup sequence, and the motor will not start. It explains this in the AEM manual in the troubleshooting section.

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Funny my buddy just had major wiring issues with a S13 LS1 harness from chasebays.... they need to checking things better

95_240
Car: 1995 240sx

Even if Chasebays started double checking everything nothing would be solved. They have no idea what they are doing and they rely on their customers to do the R&D for them. There is a thread on Zilvia with many upset customers and on Hondatech as well. They have had problems since they opened. It's sad that they are a sponsor on here but I guess money is all that matters.

It would be nice to have a reviews section so everyone would know to stay away from this company.

chad b.

Yea, Chase wanted me to tell him what exactly was wrong with it so that they could fix the rest of their harnesses. It cost me $700 to get the car trouble shot upon initial startup only to figure out it was the harness. Chase said it was my fault for not calling them more times than I did to try to diagnose it over the phone. The wiring was wrong inside the harness. They had multiple wires tied to the wrong 5v wire, then pinned wrong. It was a disaster. I did get a $500 store credit from Chase, but that doesn't come close to the money spent on the harness initially, plus the money spent to trouble shoot the car, then my time pulling it back out, trouble shooting it, fixing it, and putting it all back in. The high dollar Raychem sleeve that makes their harnesses look so good had to all be cut off to open up the harness up, so in the end I paid for a harness that ended up looking like a Wiring Specialties harness. I also used to have one of their PS relocation kits on my car. I never could get the high pressure side on the rack to stop pouring fluid out. The problem is that Chase isn't there enough because he owns several businesses, and the customer service manager Justin is a real passive/aggressive smart a** on the phone.

boostedh23a1
Datsun 280Z

I have their mil spec one for my rb30 and have nothing but trouble. SEVERELY DISAPPOINTED. Looks nice but thats about it. I have sent it back 3 times and i sill have some issues.

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Hey, put them on blast our policy is open. If you want to take photos or list your complaints feel free. Once you post I will contact them and ask them to reply. He'll I called out mishimoto numerous times 2007-2009 when it was all junk. Now days they are a lot better.

OP did you get my map?

95_240

I think I might start a thread in 240sx gen chat since it gets a lot of traffic (unless someone beats me to it, I need to find my chargeback complaint) and link it from this thread so everyone can go into details stating their problems. I think the most accurate description about there harnesses was posted on Zilvia. It said that there harnesses are 60% plug and play.

OutToWinPAHC

Yeah I dunno, I do wiring so I would never buy a harness but if I did it would be from wiring specialties. But think how awesome chase bays is..... you can personalize your harness lol

95_240

Yeah I actually had already made my own harness that I rewired but some of my connectors were questionable and at the time wiring specialties had not released their pre-made harnesses. I almost feel like I worked for Chasebays. I had to pull the harness and check the continuity of every wire to find the multiple problems it had and report back to them so future harnesses would not have the same problems. I finally got my money back and went with wiring specialties because my original harness was sent in to be massacred by Chasebays. Wiring Specialties harness worked perfect.

OutToWinPAHC

did you get the map file?

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”