AEM F/ic writeup

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
jackasknissan
Car: 1990 240sx sohc ka-t

well for those who want a good engine managemant solution( knock detection and wb02 are a must!) this isnt for the feble in wiring either. or the remotely mechanicaly or electonicaly challenged (must solder etc....) but here we go:

As many of you might be interested in the prosecess of instaling a AEM F/ic in a 240 sx, as it has the ability to modiffy the fuel given to a motor, by either modifying the MAF signal, and or the Injector duration. The adjustment of timing, as a MSD BTM is ANother advantage of this.

The instalation proscess for me was one that took many evenings reaserching if this would actually work, bot one i figured the instalation proscess out, and what needed to go to what this became afairly simple, and 17/ 40 conections were utilized i believe. the actual instalation was fairly straight forward. and took me ~2 1/2 hours a few evenings after work, to complete. but i will cut to the chase, and get to the details of the instal.

Tools needed: 10 mm wrench, wire cutters, flux(recomened , wire stripers AEM F/IC INSTRUSTIONS, ECU PIN OUT FOR PATICULAR CAR, electrical tape, large philips screwdriver, solder gun, solder, heat shrink ( preference) , multi meter, (or test light),12 mm wrench, or w/e it is to remove ground post from battery.First read the pin out, and AEM F/ic manual, and entirely under stand its workings!!2.NOW WE can begin.WE NowNEED to disconect the battery ground post.

3.NOW take , and remove the right hand side Kick panel where the ecu is located, there is 2 big philips screws, and one small one, it will be nessicary, to lift up the front of the door jam trim to pull the cover( didnt feel a pic was needed) 4. Now take a 10mm wrench, and put it on the ecu plug, and losen the bolt ( remove plastic wire cover over the plug)5. Now carefully remove the plug, being carful NOT! fo bend or break any pins on the ecu.6. unwrap the harness going UNDER the ecu ~12 inches back to facilitate better acess to solder the wires. ( no pic, but its obvious)7. now take, and locate pin #101, ( white, black stripe) and cut injector number 1 wire ~ 2.5 inches from the ecu , take, and put inj 1 in to the ecu side of the wire, And now put inj1 out to the harness side, solder, and wrap thses conections it is assumed that you can solder, and either wrap, or put heat shrink, over wires already, so i don not mention how, I would highly asdive AGAINST USING BUT CONECTORS, as they can come apart, and thats not good. 8.now take, and tap pin #110, yellow, black stripe, and again tap, and put the f/ic input toe the ecu side, and solder, and wrap, and do the same with the out put to the wire 9. we now move on to injector #3 , pin # 103, again cutting the green, black stripe wire ~2.5 inches from the ecu plug, now conect inj 3 in to the ecu side, and solder and wrap, as always, and put inj3 out to the harness side, of the wire10. We finally move on to injector 4,, pin#112 blue , black stripe again, this will be intercepted, as the other ones have been. cut ~2.5 inches out of the ecu plug, and now solder, as the others, now conect inj4 out to the harness side of the wires we are now done the instalation of the injectors, take the time to check ofer the conections being done soo far, to ensure there is no errors.11. Now I Instaled the power wire power wire, this was taped withe ecu pin #36 ( black, red stripe), solder, and wrap this12. now take, and locate 3 ground wires from the ecu, i recomend pins # 48, 39,13, 6, these are what i feel will work, use what you will think will I am not liable, for error, as I am justwriting what worked for me! c ut pins 48,39 ( if used ) ~ 5" from plug, and ~ 2.5" for 13,6, ALL OF THESE CONECTIONS ARE TAPED.13. Now I instaled the throttle position sensor, which is ecu pin 16, and the wire is white. this is to be taped ~ 3" from the ecu, and again solder, and wrap the conection(special note: there is no wire for pin 15 in sohc, so go to the white wite nearies the center) 14. Now I intercepted the MAF, which is ecu pin #20, and like the tps, the wire color is white cut the wire ~3' from the ecu plug, instal, as the maf out ( black fic wire) to the ecu., and instal the MAF in ( blue) to the maf wire, from the harness.. 15.We now move to the one issue, that many seemed to be sure was the issure for instaling the F/ic in a 240sx the crank/ cam sensor. To simply put this, I didnt use the cam sensor!, and i just taped pins # 30, 22. Now you are probably thinking " well there is only 1 fic wire, and 2 wires for the ecu, what do I do?" well to simple explain, there is one wire from the distrubuter CAS ( 180* sensor), and approximately 1' from the ecu plug it is forked into 2 wirs, which one goes to pin 30, and the other to pin 22, I took, and cut these 2 wires, and soldered each side together., I then took the side from THE HARNESS, and conected this to the crank HaLi wire, and I then put pins 30,22 together ~4" fronm the harnes ( green, black stripe), and conected these to the Hal O wifre from the fic 16. I have now Likely covered all aspests of the instal that i either taped, or intercepted in the harness to th ecu. and again it is now time to check over ALL of the conections, and ensure they are as close to aem instructions, as possible, and what I assume, and said are corect. ( I am not Liable for any error,s this is just a sigestion for how i would, and have gone about this.) 17. Now after confirming every thins is, as we assume it should be tame, and wrap the wires, as you fell would be neat, and orderly 18. I then re pluged the harness plug Back into th ecu as so:then tighten the plug into the ecu with the 10 mm wrench: 19. I now Instaled the bypass plug: into the fi harness now wires into your 240sx!: 20. Now it is time to cautionsly re-conect the ground onto the battery, Be cautious for smoke, due to a wiring error 21, Assumeing there is no electrical faults, and all seems good, It is time to start your car. listen for any misses, etc, or unevennes, the car SHOULD run as it did before the instalation of the F/IC.22. once any elctrical errors have been corected like an injector miss etc.(due to poor conection.) you can now instal the actual Fic into your car 1. first take the fic: 2. now take and plug the vacum line into either a vacum block, or a manifold vacum line ( motor side of the throttle body), and route through the fire wall per your discresion., now attach the line supplied with the kit to the vacum barb on the f/ic: 3. Now take, and atach the Computer conection to the f/ic I routed this through the center consol, and out the back of the rear ashtray, as so: I broke the back out of the ashtray, so the cable would pass through ( it will make sense if you look. 4. Take the fic harness, and remove the baypass plug, and now plug the harness into the f/ic this is how it looks with all the items pluged into the F/ic ( soo right in a 240sx :wink: ) 23. now take, and plug your laptop (recomended) and instal the software on, and then atach the computer plug into a USB port, and conect to the f/ic, then take and go to the setting menu, and set tthe s MAF setting to as so: them go to the maf map( not mass air pressure) screen, and set the output, as close, as you can to the input, as so ( mine has been modified to lean out the stoich a bit so disreguard)

24.after uploading to the f/ic, you can now start the car, I highly recomen having a wideband to monitor th afr's so you can be aware of the fuel mixture etc.. as you can see i am a lil rich still on my maf seting, but your may be diferent, so ignore my tune basis.

25. we have not instaled A AEM f/ic in a obd1 240sx(obd2 likely similar). I recomend keeping to stock injectors for the first bit, ANd have the car running as well, and sound as possible before the instal, THIS WILL MAKE ERROR DIAGNOSIS EASIER,THIS IS HOW I INSTALED IT, AND I MIGHT HAVE MISSED, A DETAIL ETC, BUT i DID THIS TO MY BEST ABILITY, AND I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR AND MISHAPS ON THE INSTAL, OR USE OF THE AEM F/IC.!-next up is a boost based ingnition cut off, utilizing the v-tec output( in the works, similar to a hoobs type setup,but can also be rpm based too 8) feel free to sticky, or sugest for improvement, and PM me if you have any questions I am happy to help, as long as i dont get a barage of PM"S :roll: , and i willl soon add a pin out for what goes where just gimme a bit :lol: check out the site: software:http://forum.aempower.com/foru....htmli ... ..htmlf/ic info:http://www.aempower.com/ViewCa...D=116

Neejay

Damn, I'm still waiting on an OBD1 install.

Very good write up, considering I haven't seen ANY other ones.

Asmar
Car: 1994 Nissan Skyline

Very nice write-up.

jackasknissan

lol i think i am obd1 (1990 sohc) but i wired it up as dohc, so it should be the same thru to 94

jackasknissan

jus an update, I will soon be switching to map only, once i get my iat sensor from diy auto, and finaly put money towards tags for the car instead of more turbo ****. but i just need a few basic things so thats done any ways,

Neejay

Yeah, I read on the official AEM forums last Fall about someone switching to MAP from MAF by using the voltage conversion.

Is this basically what you're doing?

jackasknissan

yeah basically, but a lot of people are over looking the tempature corection, and the 240sx doesnt have an iat sensor so i need to corect that

tamez10
Car: Mitsubishi EVO 8
Nissan 240SX 1990 + SR20DET
Mitsubishi Ralliart 2005
Toyota 4Runner

Hey, great write up. I made myself one for the KA24DE 1998 OBD2 with a 3D ECU. Pinout is different.

I must say that, in behalf of the FSM, you have mixed the MAF and the TPS cables. MAF is 16 and TPS is 20.

I hope you are still working on it.

tannerezell077
Car: Nissan 240sx super hicas

Old thread but I'm trying to install the fic into my 91 240sx with the ka24de. Im having issues regarding the crank sensor and it communicating with the fic. could anyone help?

Return to “240sx General Discussion”