advantages and disadvantages of tuna

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
ceningolmo
Car: Silver 1991 Q45a & Green 1991 Q45a

Tuna-

Advantages: Lots of omega3 fatty acids, lots of good nutrients with a relatively low calorie count. Relatively low on fat. Generally a great food if you are trying to cut some weight. Tuna is a favorite of wrestlers...I could never gag the stuff down, so I skipped it.

Disadvantages: Smells like your local trailer park skanks hoo-ha. Tastes even worse (at least the canned stuff does). Theoretically, "fresh" tuna redeems the taste and smell found in canned tuna. Personally, I can't stand any of it with the exception of the REALLY expensive stuff used for Sushi. And, frankly, that is too expensive to eat on a regular basis.

Fenvy
Car: 2005 350Z Base 6MT

Alfador wrote:And BTW all that **** about mercury poisoning from tuna is BS. Most of the mercury that is consentrated in any kind of threatening amount is clustered next to the bones and in the head and whatnot, and you'd have to consume about 6 or more lbs a week.
I do not know if that is true but I am not risking my health for it. Sure there ar e people who eat it every day but we do not know the long term effect. that it may have.

If I eat less as suggested... I probably will not "suffer" because there are ample amounts of reasonable substitutes.

If I eat more tuna... I probably won't be more content due to 1)price 2) supply 3) law of diminishing return.

That said, I'll eat less tuna
Alfador wrote:
People "hear" a lot of thing. After all, "they talk a lot, don't they?"
no offense to you but the same thing could be said about story...

93coupe
Car: crap

i see no disadvantage. its delicious! miracle whip, egg, relish... all good in tuna.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Everyone keeps going on about how much Omega 3 fatty acids are in Tuna. Sure it has some, but not NEAR as much as salmon has.

For Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, Salmon FTW.Flax seeds are fabulous too...if you can eat them. I add them to my creamy peanut butter
scotttak wrote:peanut butter is good.
Peanut butter for protein? Granted it does have protein in it, but also has TWICE as much fat! That's like saying Ice cream is a good source of protein just because it has some protein in it.

When you're trying to eat more than twice as many grams of protein as you are fat and peanut butter contains twice as many grams of fat than protein, it's basically a 4:1 ratio of daily fat to protein intake. The fat it does have is relatively good for you though, so eat it for the fat, not the protein!

Other cheap sources of protein (besides soy and whey)Eggs,Skim milk,Low fat cottage cheese,Trimmed stew meat (beef, pork and/or turkey)96% lean hamburger,Chicken breasts,Cod and other fish on sale.

Logan76
Car: Junk

Ah cottage cheese is wonderful, I eat tons of it when im dieting too, cottage cheese + some pepper = good treat.

ceningolmo
Car: Silver 1991 Q45a & Green 1991 Q45a

Cottage cheese is another "wrestlers treat" that was popular during weight cutting that I just simply couldn't gag down. I couldn't do it.

I know of some world class triathletes who would actually rins the fat from their cottage cheese before eating it.

spider_slayer
Car: s14 240sx, s13 240sx

hmmmm, whey would probally be a good thing.

any kind you guys want to recommend that isn't absolutely terriable?

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

The human body has a slight natural allergy to something in seafood of all types. If you eat seafood every day, you will start having problems breathing and also some skin irritation as well. Some of this has to do with the amount of B vitamins in seafood (you can OD on these complex of vitamins apparently, you drug test takers should know that), the rest is something else I can't remember...

My doctor informed me of this reaction after I had caught a rash for no apparent reason while at the beach for 2 weeks. I had eaten some kind of seafood pretty much everyday, and it got to the point where I couldn't even enjoy a beer or a cigarette because I felt so ill from it. Believe what you want, but it is a fact you can ask your doc yourself.

skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

http://www.center4research.org/methylmercury2.html

"Tuna: A cause for concern

Levels of methylmercury in tuna are lower than in the four fish on the "do not eat" list but higher than many other fish. Since Americans eat so much tuna the risk could be greater. There are two types of canned tuna generally found in the U.S. market - albacore white and "light". Fresh tuna and canned albacore white tuna are 3 times as high in methylmercury as canned light tuna, which comes from smaller fish. The amount of mercury in canned tuna varies from can to can, with canned albacore white tuna sometimes exceeding the danger zone of 1 part per million."

That site was mostly geared towards women, but it had some good facts in there.

Seriously. Mercury can f** you up--just ask older people who still have mercury fillings in their teeth. There's a reason why everyone says "in moderation" you should never eat too much of one thing. You can put your health at risk.

Like what was said before, whey protein powders are safer for long term use. And you can get it in 'flavors'.. honestly, what's there to complain about?

Alfador
Car: 1990 240sx Hatch

^ yeah but the flavors taste like crap.I've seen that writeup before, they don't cite any real research in that article, they just quote the same party lines that everything else does. Problem is there are no legitimate studies that show a connected and real cause for concern because there really isn't one. Societal paranoia at its finest.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

OK. Why don't you eat some seafood every day for a couple of weeks and document eating every bite so you can prove it.

You will see what there is to worry about.

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

Veggie protein for the win! Eat some beans. No need to worry about mercury and salmonella...

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Some people are allergic to things, others arent. For a few weeks, I was eating around 1lb of Tilapia/day (got a great deal on 20lbs of the stuff). I never had the slightest reaction...poison Ivy however, that kicked my *** last summer!
IWannaS15 wrote:Veggie protein for the win! Eat some beans.
Beans beans, the musical fruit...

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Definitely re read what looney said, and check out what I'm going to mention...

As for tuna, be careful. I wound up losing weight inadvertantly when I was consuming it daily because of the lack of calories.

You might want to consider a switch to canned chicken breast. Its way cheaper (here anyway) and can be made all of the same ways as tuna.

You can also find a great deal of protein in:--Soy- tempeh or tofu (tempeh is AMAZING) I can give you good tofu recipes that you won't even realize you're eating it.--Beans, legumes, nuts, and seeds. Flax seed rocks, stick it in the chicken salad. --Fish and shrimp. --Lean red meats like 96/4 ground beef, pork, or again chicken.--Nutritional Yeast. This stuff rocks. It isn't like bread yeast, so calm down. It is packed with necessary B vitamins and Folate (important for muscle building.)

When lifting like you claim you are, it is also imperative that you get a hold of at LEAST 4 glasses of milk a day for the calcium (as well as protein). It is okay to go with the whole milk too. Also, spend some time in the sun so you can get your vitamin D and make them work together. You can buy fortified OJ, cereal, or yogurt if you aren't a milk fan.

Project240

spider_slayer wrote:hmmmm, whey would probally be a good thing.

any kind you guys want to recommend that isn't absolutely terriable?
GNC 100% Whey Protein, chocolate flavor. It's cheap (as far as protein goes), simple, it comes in 6 pound tubs, and it tastes like chocolate milk. Unless you mix it in water, in which case it tastes like...chocolate water?

Return to “General Chat”