Added XM radio, super easy

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I've had XM radio basically since it came out, and it's dang near required for any vehicle for me. I drive 1 hour each way to work, and usually take a few long road trips during the year, so it's almost necessary.
Rather than try and add an aftermarket radio and have it look all hokey inside the cabin, I decided to try and add it the factory way...

I bought this unit on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321334065330?ss ... 1439.l2649

Really good deal, for $40 most are going for $100 or so.

First thing you have to do is take the upper trunk liner out. 5 little push pins, you stick a flat screwdriver to pull the inner pin down, and then pull the whole thing out. There was some Velcro holding the “front”, and all you have to do is pull it down and remove it from the car.

Once the liner is out, you’ll see an electrical unit on the right center of the car. There is actually a bracket above this unit that holds the XM radio tuner. In other words, there is a “lower” electrical unit, and the XM radio tuner goes above it. 4 screws hold the “lower” unit in place, and you’ll need to remove it in order to get the XM unit up above it. The XM unit faces with the connector side facing the passenger side of the vehicle.

In the center of the car toward the rear, there is a white connector that looks like it’s kind of out of place. This is the connector for the XM radio. Unplug that, and plug it into the XM radio. You now have XM radio in your car.
With the XM tuner installed, you can now install an antenna. I read that a standard XM antenna does not work, but I had a spare that I tried anyway. It was a very tight fit, but I got a regular XM antenna to fit. I placed the antenna above the stop lamp on the rear deck lid. I am going to more cleanly route the antenna wiring.

All in all, I got everything working in less than an hour of time, and $40 was my cost, plus $15 activation fee to switch my subscription to this radio.

Next week when I re-route the antenna, I’ll take some pictures of what I had to do.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I don't have a long commute, or I would probably use my XM.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Wes, we need a writeup for infinitig37.com

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”