AC Compressor?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
whitetiger777
Car: 1990 R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R

So I read through the other AC threads and don't think my issue was answered. First of all I guess I should say this is my DD and I live on SoCal and it's been over 100 the last couple of week and I often have to do 2hr round trip drive in my car for work and given traffic "going faster" isn't an option for wind chill.

So basically whenever I turn on my AC it fries my in cabin fuse. Although the time I replaced it I noticed it also seems to happen when I switch from AC to Econ. My first assumption is the compressor is starting to go. I was hoping that this compressor isn't unique to the R32 GT-R since I'm in the US and hoping may it shared one with the 240sx or 300z or something that I can get here.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Well, I can't help you with your problem, but I might be able to help you out with the compressor possibly being the same.

I'd say take it, or a picture of it, to an auto parts store and see if they'd let you look at compressors from other Nissans. Then you can visually check to make sure mounting points and fittings for the compressor in/out lines are good.

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

If the fuse blowes it is normally a wiring or internal circuit board issue. Maybe even the climat control its self. I would look at your connections and look for any power wires that may be grounding out on something. Have you done any maintainance in that are lately? hope this helps.

whitetiger777

From what I understand from other threads as the compressor or clutch starts to go it creates a larger drain on the circuit causing the fuse to pop.

As I replaced the fuse yesterday again but did not switch to econ. After about 5 min the fuse popped again.

whitetiger777

So I recently read this:
"If you're willing to convert to R134a, a 2001 Nissan Quest compressor will bolt right in according to the Facebook guys that converted their AC system."

Can anyone confirm this is true?

TaraFirma

If it's the 10 AMP fuse that blows every time you choose AC on the dash then it's the exact same issue I had with my 91 GTR.
All my research showed that the R32 GTR did NOT share an AC compressor with any other car. If an 01 Quest can bolt up and be used thats great news, but I actaully found the problem.
It's the AC cluth magnet coil. It or it's wires short out. In my case it was the magnet coil itself that went bad. I pulled it off an the coil resistance was way low so it was blowig the fuse.
I found one on yahoo actions (the japaneese ebay) and had it shiped to me.
problem solved...

whitetiger777

How do you test the magnetic coil?

TaraFirma

resistance between ground and the magnet coil wire which is right next to the backside of the AC pulley on the top of the compressor.

whitetiger777

What should it be reading?

TaraFirma

It should be between 2-5 ohms. Anything outside that range is a bad coil. Under 2 will blow the fuse. Over 5 and nothing will happen. My bad one was at 1.3 ohm blowing the fuse every time. My brand new one was at 3.5 ohm.

Check this page out: http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/ac-cl ... -test.html

TaraFirma

It should be between 2-5 ohms. Anything outside that range is a bad coil. Under 2 will blow the fuse. Over 5 and nothing will happen. My bad one was at 1.3 ohm blowing the fuse every time. My brand new one was at 3.5 ohm.

Check this page out: http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/ac-cl ... -test.html

whitetiger777

Do you remember what was hot and what was ground on the plug? I haven't been under that car yet to see the plug with my own eyes yet.

TaraFirma

Only one wire in the plug. I'ts the positive lead. The body of the magnet is grounded.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”