A meet and greet with me, your Z moderator, & a history of m

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

Since its been requested, and there are a lot of new Z32 members as our forum is growing every day, I figured I would make a thread where you can get to know me and my Z a little better.

First off, I've been a car nut for as long as I can remember. It all kind of started when I was little and my Mom and sister went to the store and picked me up a pack of toy cars, from there it spawned into 100's of toy cars, make believe races, car lots, car shows, you name it. I had a lot of Corvette, Ferrari, Porsche, etc toys like most kids as they are readily available at stores and fun little sports cars to pretend with. When I was little and my family and I would go on vacations I would take rolls of pictures of cars seen on the trips. Cars out on the road, cars on car haulers, in parking lots, at peoples houses, it didn't matter, the more the merrier. The kicker of the story is that nobody in my family was really car crazy so to speak so I'm not sure where I got it. There was always appreciation for them, but no one got their hands dirty or had projects or old muscle cars stored away. I was to be the first.

On one certain trip down to see my Grandma in Florida in late 1989 I spotted a car in a parking lot and asked my Dad if we could go look at it. We went over and it was a new Nissan 300zx (a very early Z32). It was a 2 seater base model NA, but man it was something. I wanted it....and a Z car love affair started.

I got my first car in February 1999 (no more driving Mom's cars!). It was a 1998 Nissan Sentra SE 5spd. It had the SR20 in it, it was black, looked cool, and it was a sporty little Japanese car. It was just what I was looking for. I had no idea how to drive stick, but I learned that day. I learned a lot of things on that car by tearing things apart, putting mods on, putting things back together, etc. I was hooked but I soon came to realize that bolt ons (intake, exhaust, suspension, etc) weren't going to get me what I wanted. I could pour a ton of money into the Sentra and it was never going to be a Twin Turbo Z. So I worked a ton and saved up.

Finally.....the time for a Z car! The timing of this post is good as I am coming up on an anniversary of sorts as on December 10th I will have owned my Z for nine years already so I'll be able to break down how its come along year by year.

It was November of 2000 and I was working a second job as a door man at a bar in a local suburb. A guy came in who was working on the roof at the bar who had a white TT Z32. I went out and drooled over it, talked to the guy, and found out he was going to be selling it. I didn't think there was anyway I could afford it, but I went over his house and drove it right around the end of November. After driving it, I had to have it. No bones about it. I went to my bank with my Dad, he co-signed for me, and they approved my loan for $15,000. Looking back, what was I thinking, 19, used high maintenance sports car....whew the world was at my fingertips and I was ready to blast there in my Z. I drove it home just before winter hit and parked it in my garage. I had a long winter to get into trouble with parts

The car had some cracking in the paint on the lower front fascia and some on the rear spoiler. Plan was to fix up that paint work, maybe a couple little bolt ons and call it a day. That obviously didn't last as the plan. Years of blood, sweat, tears, and money later, its what you see today.

Now on to the pictures....

Started out stock and snowballed from there.

The Z got some SSR GPO Evolution wheels and Nitto 555 rubber, HKS Hiper exhaust, Stillen intake, a shift knob, and some maintenance.

No more stock wheels!

That summer it also got a Wings West body kit, an old Stillen wing, some jdm clear corners, a Top Speed front strut bar, and some other goodies. It was cool, unusual, and I was going to make it my style a little at a time.

I began to take it to car shows as it was very unique since no one in my area was really doing anything to "tuner" type cars and mine was quick and twin turbo out of the box.

Winter time rolled around and it was time to put it away, work a ton, and save up for more stuff.

In 2002 it really started to get out of control. I became extremely anal about keeping it clean, detailing it every other day, and I spent lots of money haha. It got some AV stuff including a DVD player, new speakers, etc. It got a pair of Sparco Torino racing seats, gauges, a dash kit, etc inside.

It got old school Tein Coilovers, Suspension Tech sway bars, adjustable tension rods, test pipes, an HKS hardpipe kit, some Nismo caps for under hood, a JWT ecu upgrade, etc. Looking back I'm not sure how I managed to survive on ramen noodles all the time to afford this car. Keep in mind I was working two jobs full time and going to school.

Summer was over and I was broke. Snapped a couple pictures late in the fall before putting it away for winter.

By this time, my car was beginning to get known in the area. I was always around at car shows, I was cleaning house in my class (it helped to have a clean car from Miami Florida to start with), and I was driving it a lot. I hadn't really accumulated much new stuff for the car over the winter as there weren't any huge plans. Just some interior stuff and some more engine dress up. That changed on May 10th on the way home from a big car show that the Z had just won. There was a loud pop from the motor and black smoke started pouring out of the exhaust and the car was running horrible. Time to limp it home and figure out what happened.

Turns out there were injector issues and it had a leaking headgasket. So it got loaded up on a trailer and taken to my buddies shop where it could be torn down and rebuilt since it couldn't be done easily in my small garage.

As things tend to, it snowballed into a whole lot of "well while the motor is out and we're in there...." kinda stuff. It went from a simple rebuild, maybe some 555 injectors, and small turbo upgrade to break the bank go all out multi-year project. I had a dream of what the Z could be and I was going to make it that. New internals, HKS turbos, big fuel system, lots and lots of custom work, it was happening.

Suspension, drivetrain, electronics, it was getting it all. Screw the budget. 2003 came to a close with me only having driven it in the spring. Winter was hard and I was missing driving the Z. Paying the bills and not enjoying the car wasn't fun.

The build continued in 2004. I did a lot of things that the guys on the forums (not NICO) said wouldn't work, and that you couldn't do. I wanted to push the envelope. I wasn't happy with a lot of off the shelf stuff so we fabbed better up and learned through trial and error. Tuning the car was a nightmare and took forever.

Spring turned into summer and summer into fall. The friendship with my buddy who had the shop strained and I didn't work on the Z much.

My Dad had cancer and my focus turned away from the Z. He was my best buddy and we were so close. He passed away from cancer August 21st 2004 and I was devistated. He never knew much about cars, but he supported what made me happy. Over the years he would come sit outside and watch me work on it or come to car shows and hang out, he just loved seeing me happy. He supported my car addiction 100% and contributed in any and all ways that he could. I had talked all through the build about the monster the car was going to be and all the things along the way. He was anxious to ride it in when it was finished. Then it hit me. He had never ridden in my Z. I never got a chance to share my passion with him. Here is my Dad with my Z.

He was my inspiration as he taught me to never settle, never to give up, and to achieve your goals. I loved him dearly and I was going to do just that. The Z wasn't going to sit and never get finished.

I had it out with my friend and the Z came home to my garage to be finished. Josh (NSR_s30), some other friends, and myself wrapped it up and got it running right.

Before it saw the road I had a pair of decals made up for the T-tops. The drivers side wore my name and the number 22 as that was the number I always wore in baseball as a kid. The passenger side sported my Dads name, my navigator, and his number 34 that he wore as a baseball player.

The Z was back and out on the road and I was going to live up what was left of the year.

I had no plans on it, but a friend talked me into entering the vehicle into Hot Import Nights Cleveland on October 9th 2004. We cleaned the car up and I drove it out to the location. I met a lot of cool people there like RJ DeVera and had a great time.

That was the show that I came to the realization that the Z was more than just a big deal to me and my friends. The Z had a bigger crowd at that show than any other. And when the awards ceremony came around, and they rattled off all the Nissans and my name wasn't mentioned I figured no big deal as I didn't expect to win without neon lights, 10 tv's, big subs, and all the things that I don't like but that make a show car. The announcer got down to the final awards. Best overall, hottest performance vehicle...winner is....Jerry Taylor with his Nissan 300zx. Holy crap, I won. My Dad was definitely looking down and smiling, this one was for him.

The Z then was featured on cardomain as one of the first "Show off of the week" winners and various other sites. It was then, after HIN, that I found NICO and joined up.

The Z ran great, the Z was very fast, and I had a full year with it. I drove it, I showed it, I enjoyed every minute of it.

The car was even featured as ROTM on NICO

Mods continued here and there as did trophies and spirited drives.

Another year of problem free fun with the Z.

Continued to fine tune the car and tinker with it here and there all year. Added some little bits and pieces to further customize it and make it my own throughout the year.

This year was a lot of fun. We (NSR) did our first national NICO meets, spent a lot of time together, and I've got to cruise with my girlfriend Stephanie (NSR240sxe) in her awesome 1997 kouki 240sx I got her as a surprise b-day present in January. We've added a lot more cars to the collection and continued to have fun. Here's some snap shots of the Z from 2007.

Yet another year with the Z gone by. The car ran well all year, I took it to a handful of new shows including ZCON and placed (the national Z-car convention) and enjoyed it to the fullest. Sadly I didn't get to drive it as much as I'd like due to extended work hours and a hectic schedule but it was a fun year no less. No major changes to the car.

The car as featured in the 2009 NSR calendar

2009In '09 I had the Z out to a decent amount of shows and won a couple major awards with it. I converted all interior lighting over to LED and all exterior bulbs were swapped out for LED's as well. The engine bay saw a little more chrome work and some minor changes in the colors of some things. FMIC piping was redone and chromed. Nothing major was changed, just some tweaking here and there. Pushed the car to its limits and had some fun in it as always. Here's a couple snaps from 2009 for you.

So that brings us up to today. The Z wouldn't be where its at without my family, my friends, my fiance (we're getting married 10-16-10), and of course all of you on NICO. So thanks for all you do

Here is a somewhat current modification list, may have missed a couple things but you get the idea.

ExteriorWings West aero kit (4 piece) Stillen rear spoilerBomex AD258 Nose Panel, slightly modifiedAb Flug Aero Mirrors Fully Cleared Corners JM 6000K HID kit NSR Fully Cleared Taillights JDM Clear Rear Side Markers LED lighting used in tail lamps, turn signals, reverse lights and marker lampsJDM Red Fairlady Z Hood emblem JDM Fairlady Z rear emblem Carbon Fiber Foglight Ducts NSR Rear Wiper Delete kit

Wheels and Tires3 Piece SSR GPO Evolution Rims in Chrome -17x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear Kuhmo 712 tires -235/40/17 front, 265/35/18 rearMuteki light weight wheel lug/lock set

Brakes and SuspensionNSR VR4 big brake kit with brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors in the front Brembo Cross drilled and slotted rotors in the rear Axxis MM Brake Pads NISMO 60mm front Wheel Hub Studs NISMO 50mm rear Wheel Hub StudsH&R wheel spacers (20mm front, 10mm rear)300 Degree Brake Master Cylinder Brace Tein RA Coilovers Top Speed Adjustable Tension Rods Top Speed Front Strut Bar Top Speed Rear Strut Bar Top Speed Hicas Eliminator Top Speed Rear Ladder Bar Suspension Tech Adjustable Sway Bars Dupree Subframe Spacers Noltec Adj. Front Upper A-arms Slick Motorsports Adj. Rear Arms Energy Suspension Bushings Stitch Welded and Reinforced Subframes

InteriorSparco Torino's Red/Black Sabelt Harnesses, Black Sparco Harness Pads, Red Wedge Engineering seat brackets JDM Veilside 300km/hr Gauge Cluster CZP Titanium Gauge RingsBTBSF LED Interior KitCustom Red Leather Interior Trim Nismo Shift Knob J-Spec Shift and E-brake Boots JDM Fairlady Z floor mat tags Custom 'SilverTwin' Short Shifter Autometer Phantom tachometer Autometer Phantom boost gauge Autometer Phantom water temp gauge Autometer Phantom air/fuel gauge Lotek Full A-Pillar triple pod Brushed Aluminum dash kit 4pc. Custom Aluminum pedal setFire Extingushier Apex-i S-AFC Apex-i AVC-R Apex-i Rev Speed Meter HKS Type 1 Turbo Timer Signal Auto Steering Wheel Hub Adapter Sparco Color 2 Steering Wheel

Engine and Engine BayTurbo XS RFL blow off valvesOS Giken Twin Disk Clutch Powertrain 1pc Aluminum Driveshaft DSP Racing Turbo Manifolds HKS GT2530BB Turbos Wiseco Oversized Pistons Nitrous Express (NX) NterCooler FMIC spray kit w/ 10lb Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS) bottle HKS DLI Ignition System XS Engineering FMIC with chrome pipingSlick Motorsports Dual Intake with Apex-i Filters Sard 850cc InjectorsBorder Racing fuel railsNSR Test Pipes Stillen X-pipe HKS Hiper Exhaust Z1 Motorsports ECU Tune Specialty-Z divorced downpipes Nismo Oil Filler Cap Nismo Radiator Cap HKS Hardpipe kitOptima Red Top Battery Chrome Battery Bracket Chrome Power Steering Res. Chrome Battery Harness Clamps Chrome Coilpack BracketsChrome front strut bar Polished valve covers Polished Throttle bodies Polished Custom Radiator Bracket Powdercoated Gunmetal Upper Plenum Samco Upper Radiator Hose - Red Samco Lower Radiator Hose Elbows - Red TurboHose Hardpipe connectors - Black Summit Racing Stainless T-bolt hardpipe clampsSlick Motorsports Custom Oil Catch Can Custom Hood Mirrors Custom Fuse Box Mirror Hose Techniques Red Silicone Vacuum lines Koyo Polished Aluminum Radiator FAL Black Magic 150 Electric Fan Painless Wiring Assembly Billion Thermostat Stainless Braided Lines throughout engine bay with -AN Fittings DP Aluminum Lower Radiator Hose SX Fuel Pressure Regulator SX Fuel Filter D/U Fuel Pressure Gauge Nismo Oil Cooler NGK 2 step colder platinum spark plugs 300 Degree EGR Elimination Kit Noltec Urethane Motor Mounts Powertrix Engine Ground Kit SPL Stainless Steel Clutch Line SPL Chrome Brake Reservoir Cap SPL Chrome Power Steering Reservoir Cap SPL Chrome Clutch Reservoir CapNSR Polished oil dip stick PB Carbon Fiber Throttle Cable Cover

Audio / VisualPanasonic DVD & Navagation System Panasonic HeadUnit Panasonic Processing Unit Custom sub box built by RH Designs Alpine 6.5" x 4 Alpine 1" tweeters x 2 JL Audio 12" Subwoofer Soundstorm 500 watt amp Soundstorm 700 watt amp (Trunk mounted audio equipment only installed for shows as it doesn't make the car faster )

FluidsMobil 1 Synthetic Oil Redline Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid MT90 Redline Synthetic Differential Fluid 75w90 Redline Water Wetter

The future plans for the car are to continue to improve it, have a lot of fun, and to do what I want, because anything less than perfect isn't good enough. We just purchased a new house so we'll be working on building a proper outbuild/workshop to store the toys in, so expect to see some new things with the Z.

I look forward to sharing knowledge with all of you and making this place even better than it already is today. Feel free to e-mail me or say hello on instant messenger. All the information is listed in my profile.

Thanks for reading the most long winded and picture heavy post I've ever made. Hope you enjoyed!

nghtrain88
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZXTT

This my friends, is true passion for a hobby and a lifestlye

DadZun
Car: 1991 JDM Z32 300ZX, 2+2, targa, twin turbo manual, 50k miles, red

nghtrain88 wrote: true passion
A well documented history, Jerry. That photo outside your work is deserved of the Zama Museum wall - perhaps you can print one & gift it, lol! A big thank you for the hours you dedicate to our shared passion.

May I suggest a group push to show off your ride?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/444850

nsrZ32
Car: 90 300ZX TT, 78 280Z, 71 521 Pickup, 98 Sentra 2.0 SE, 02 Altima 3.5 SE, 01 Focus s2

papariccardo wrote:May I suggest a group push to show off your ride?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/444850

Already been graced with that honor actually

White Comet
Car: fc, s13 and mazda6, Sierra

dang u have hands down, one of the nicest Z's on here

DadZun

nsrZ32 wrote:Already been graced with that honor actually
Yep, I saw it fresh a couple of years back. Multi award winning, that's your car! Are there CarDom rules excluding multiple wins?

And what of the Zama idea? That is one interesting warehouse, I'm sure pics like that one are very welcomed. Might get you an invite

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

Holy novel batman! It was a good read and it's great to look back on all the history that has happened with the Z, and how I've been apart of it since way back. I'm very happy with how it has turned today and I know it's a never-ending project. It definitely gets attention and I've been lucky enough to drive the beast it's just out of this world.

Video:http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm...20044

nghtrain88

mmm HID's

White Comet

nice vid

NSRpartsguy
Car: 2003 Ford Focus (unfortunately)

nicely done, sir.

prophecyZ
Car: 1990 z32

Gotta love those wheels. I'm looking to do some sportmax 006's here by spring.

nsrZ32

papariccardo wrote:Yep, I saw it fresh a couple of years back. Multi award winning, that's your car! Are there CarDom rules excluding multiple wins?

And what of the Zama idea? That is one interesting warehouse, I'm sure pics like that one are very welcomed. Might get you an invite
Honestly I have no idea on the cardomain thing, I'm hardly on there anymore to be truthful lol.

On the Zama topic, I would LOVE to go there some day. If bribery with a picture could help, I'm down 100%

Doubt it would help though.

BMAR240SX
Car: 1993 240sx Coupe

Bro im speechless about your car, ever since i started posting here i think your Z was my backround for like 6 months, then my computer crashed But man you get my vote hands down for best looking Z i have ever seen in my life

nsrZ32

BMAR240SX wrote:Bro im speechless about your car, ever since i started posting here i think your Z was my backround for like 6 months, then my computer crashed But man you get my vote hands down for best looking Z i have ever seen in my life
White Comet wrote:dang u have hands down, one of the nicest Z's on here
Thanks guys

nghtrain88

ehh, it's OKAY

A Paratrooper's 300zx
Car: White 92 300zxTT M/T, Silver 04 MR2 Spyder M/T

nsrZ32 wrote:My Dad had cancer and my focus turned away from the Z. He was my best buddy and we were so close. He passed away from cancer August 21st 2004 and I was devistated. He never knew much about cars, but he supported what made me happy. Over the years he would come sit outside and watch me work on it or come to car shows and hang out, he just loved seeing me happy. He supported my car addiction 100% and contributed in any and all ways that he could. I had talked all through the build about the monster the car was going to be and all the things along the way. He was anxious to ride it in when it was finished. Then it hit me. He had never ridden in my Z. I never got a chance to share my passion with him. Here is my Dad with my Z.

He was my inspiration as he taught me to never settle, never to give up, and to achieve your goals. I loved him dearly and I was going to do just that. The Z wasn't going to sit and never get finished.
hey jerry, i feel you completely on that one... my father just passed away from a stroke on 20 october 2007 and i just realized after reading your post that my dad never got to ride in my Z either. he had always loved sports cars ever since he bought his first 1967 Triumph TR4 in 1967. since then, he has had many little sports cars which included his most recent 2004 Toyota MR2 Spyder. i have inherited that Spyder and will continue to enjoy it along with my Z. i would have loved to take him up and down the canyons of utah in my little Z, but every time i drive that Z from now on... he will be riding with me. the death of a loved one is such a pain in the A$$ huh? thanks man and ill continue to enjoy the passion we call the Z32.

aymaeid
Car: 93 Miata, 96 Accord, 96 Zenki

i love you

nghtrain88

... why thank you

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

aymaeid wrote:i love you

White Comet

i didnt see it mentioned and was just wondering, have u had it dynoed or run in the 1/4?

nsrZ32

White Comet wrote:i didnt see it mentioned and was just wondering, have u had it dynoed or run in the 1/4?
No dyno time yet, I'll get there eventually lol.

As for the 1/4 mile, I haven't run it since the motor build. Back in 2002 I got talked into going to the strip with a few buddies it ran a 12.86 with Stillen cone filter, JWT ecu, HKS Hiper catback, and a set of test pipes. Not sure what it would run now, not really a fan of drag racing though so who knows when and if I'll take it.

White Comet

yeah i hear ya, im not all about drag racing, but when im done i'll run my car just out of curiosity

dennis90300zx
Car: 90 nissan 300zx N/A

looks awesome. The one thing i noticed that i couldnt figure out if i liked or not was the rear. I have the same rear and i love the look of the hks hiper exhaust. But as you know that odnt fit with that rear. How hard was it to fab up the rear to fit the hipers? and can you post a few more close up shots of the rear?

Milo (San Antonio)
Car: Project LOWFATZ (weight reduced slicktop TT)

Some other information that you probably know about our fearless leader.

1) He once saved a litter of kittens from a burning building with little thought of his own safety.

2) His brother was the inventor of the keyboard necktie.

3) NSRZ32 is also known as, "Tea Bag Johnson" amongst his many adoring fans. Tea Bags, is how we like to call him here on the forum, is in fact the Ohio State air guitar reigning champion. His hand play and in-air scissor kicks are legendary amongst the underground air guitar community.

4) And lastly he was the brainchild behind putting the jelly and peanut butter in the same jar. Yeah, he's THAT guy. I thank him in prayers everynight.

Keep up the good work sir.

DadZun

Milo (San Antonio) wrote:Some other information that you probably know about our fearless leader.

1) He once saved a litter of kittens from a burning building with little thought of his own safety.

2) His brother was the inventor of the keyboard necktie.

3) NSRZ32 is also known as, "Tea Bag Johnson" amongst his many adoring fans. TB Johnsos, is how we like to call him, is in fact the Ohio State Air Guitar Reigning Champion. His hand play and in air scissor kicks are legendary.

4) And lastly he was the brainchild behind putting the jelly and peanut butter in the same jar. Yeah, he's THAT guy. I thank him in prayers everynight.

Keep up the good work sir.
Worthy of starting a parallel thread, Milo!

Milo (San Antonio)
Car: Project LOWFATZ (weight reduced slicktop TT)

F'in greatness.

White Comet

ur pics broken

Mc57127
Car: 1994 300zx TT

Me ----------------> <--------------You

Absolutely incredible car and the dedication that you gave to it is amazing...even if it was a lesser car. Keep up the good work bro, amazing ride you have.

NSRsheets
Car: 2009 Nismo 370Z #85,1993 Nissan 240sx RB25DET coupe, 2013 focus

Never seen the some what stock pics. Great article.

nsrZ32

dennis90300zx wrote:looks awesome. The one thing i noticed that i couldnt figure out if i liked or not was the rear. I have the same rear and i love the look of the hks hiper exhaust. But as you know that odnt fit with that rear. How hard was it to fab up the rear to fit the hipers? and can you post a few more close up shots of the rear?
I wanted the Wings West rear and I wanted the flow and function of the HKS Hiper so we trimmed out the lower portion of the valence to allow the HKS exhaust to clear. I am happy with how it turned out and how it looks. Actually have a lot of Z guys ask about it so they can do the same.

Here's a couple more pictures of the rear for you

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”