A car dealer’s scientific guide to the 10 worst used vehicle

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/ ... 09616.html
0. Volkswagen New Beetle (automatic transmission issues and cheap interior components; diesel models with 5-speed manuals are by far the best powertrain option.)

9. Mazda 626 (automatic transmission issues, all models.)

8. Lincoln Aviator (a gussied-up, unpopular Ford Explorer that had unique sensor and software issues which negatively impacted the overall powertrain and electronics.)

7. Jaguar S-Type (Extensive transmission and engine issues on all V-6 and V-8 models. Along with Limited edition models with ungodly replacement costs.)

6. Lincoln LS (Same basic powertrain as the Jaguar S-Type with nearly identical results.)

5. Mazda Millenia (Engine issues, transmission issues and cheap interiors that just don't wear well.)

4. Land Rover Discovery (Expensive parts. Expensive powertrains. Electronics that are apparently the spawn of Beelzebub.)

3. Mini Cooper (Bad transmissions that are unusually expensive to replace. Cheap interior parts. Cheap hydraulics.)

2. Land Rover Freelander (A cost-cutting exercise that went way past the bone.)

And a true shocker, the single worst used vehicle at the wholesale auctions when it comes to overall defect rate at trade-in time is....

1. Mazda CX-7 (Engine issues on these vehicles are legion with nearly a third of these vehicles sold with "Engine needs service" announcements at the auctions.)

No list can be perfect, and it wouldn’t be right if I didn’t offer at least a couple of important caveats here. There are cars out there that are worth so little money now that they go straight to the junkyards instead of the wholesale auctions: Older Chryslers with defective 2.7-liter engines, older Suzukis and Kias, and the aquatic late '90's Ford Tauruses sometimes fall straight into the crusher once a major problem takes hold.

Also, if the vehicle appeared to have reliability issues, but didn't have enough of a sample size at this point (for example: Mercury Mystique, Isuzu Axiom, Suzuki Forenza), I have kept it off the list for right now.

Finally some models, like the VW New Beetle, may have a pearl of quality in a specific engine/transmission combination within the overall swamp of trouble. This is one of the reasons why we are going to delve deeper as this study continues to take shape. In the meantime, if you want to know the top ten models in terms of long-term quality, click here.

otto888man

Thanks for the great info.

followingnfront
Car: 2017 Maxima S

Cool list, but did you read his '10 best' list? He is riding Toyotas peepee kinda hard. There needs to be at least 1 Honda on that list. Not 8 Toyotas and 2 Fords

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

I take these things with a grain of salt the size of a baseball. its all about appeasing sponsors. because after-all, sponsors are the ones who pay the editors' bills! but with this list critisizing prior cars, its safe to say its not gonna be about kissing editors' butts. and i know for a fact he's dead on about many of those accusations. the jaguar, Lincoln ls, and the explorer/aviator are DEAD ON.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'd agree as well with 90% of the list... I know there was a caveat for #1, but I find that one hard to believe.

I'd think the Chrysler Sebring convertible would be on there, or the Jeep Liberty and Wrangler, the Toyota Yaris or Dodge Avenger (all on CR's "Worst Cars of 2012" list).

The Taurus, BTW, was ranked #2 LEAST problems after 3 years by CR.

Return to “Rogue Forum”