A/C Heater Blower Motor Resistor

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

I'm including pix because they're better than just text instructions for some people

So the blower motor only operates on high? it's as if the Blower Motor Resistor is unplugged... & a shop gives you a quote...

--- HEAD FOR THE EXIT AND READ THE FOLLOWING: ---

for 1998 - 2002 Nissan Quest or Mercury Villager
If you look underneath the glove compartment you can see the resistor. It will have 4 wires running to it. It is held in by two screws. I believe it takes an 8 mm socket. The screw in front is easily visible. There is another in back. Take out the screws and the resistor will slide down and out.
the FSM is kinda vague on the drawings, having some people contemplating on removing the glovebox or not... so I'll just post the pix

&

you can move that rubber pipe out of the way to access the rear screw; it only slips on/off

push that brown tab in with the help of a flathead screwdriver if you have marshmallow fingers :fruit:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Weird that this would blow instead of the fuses in the fusebox. I changed this 2x already (the 1st time as a 2nd owner in 2008)

reminds me of the white box in the 240sx - they also blow like this instead of the fuse (no-lights on dash)

weird that it blew in 2 different spots...

sigh (made in Mexico) Autozone # JA 1399 Lifetime Warranty
(Duralast products are engineered and manufactured by Wells Manufacturing) so I'm covered with the cost of the part

:wtf2: I didn't take a whole hour as the online website Labor Estimator has stated.

Done in 5 minutes & chilled out with my NICO-tot for the rest of that suggested hour...

if pix are bad, sorry they were taken with an old cellphone :whistle:

ricebike
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ye84kBqB0[/youtube]

well, here it is in video form :crazy: similar except for the screws :picard:

ricebike
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

i'm just adding this because of those stupid thermal ink receipts

My scanner is broken so I have to resort to taking a pic of the faded receipt & hope they'll give me a new part at no-charge (the manufacturer has improved the part/ circuit board recently & will post a pic of it here)

sure, they have the lifetime warranty parts linked to a phone # just in case, but i'm covering my bases...

ricebike
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

well the "revised part" was finally exchanged since their common-counterperson didn't even know that it's a revised part. (had to get a district manager to have it replaced under warranty) :poke:

the new part doesn't act as well as the original design; it's smaller pathways & overall smaller size are making the lower settings slower than normal

I'd rather have the old type circuit board instead since it allowed more fan speed

(or maybe it's time to change the cabin filter) :whistle:

coupe1942
Car: 1999 Nissan Quest mini-van, 3.3L engine and auto with air.

I went to AutoZone and they ordered the part for me. I asked for it to be checked again when I picked up the part. They gave me a box with JA1204, which is exactly the wrong thing. I am not certain of the part # listed above, but here is what my part actually looks like. The AutoZone website was a pain to try to go through and find this particular blower motor resistor. I will take the parts back in tomorrow to see if they can get me the correct part this time. If you have the body of a snake and are thin as a rail, I suppose taking this out is easy. Unfortunately my body is not built like that and it was not as easy as I'd like it to have been. Still, about 5 minutes to remove if you have the correct tools and a handy flashlight to see with under that glovebos area of the dash.

My blower motor resistor for '99 Nissan Quest by coupe1942, on Flickr

Front of resistor by coupe1942, on Flickr

Top view of blower motor resistor by coupe1942, on Flickr

Resistor for '99 Nissan Quest by coupe1942, on Flickr

The wrong part provided, even though they claimed it was correct:

Wrong part for blower motor by coupe1942, on Flickr

JA 1204 is the wrong part by coupe1942, on Flickr

I am hoping to get the correct part tomorrow, but even in this thread, the part # shown on their site does not quite look the same as the one from my '99 Quest as shown above. I don't really see any specific burned out area visible on the circuit board, but when I turn on the fan control, it only works on the highest setting and none of the lower ones.

When I use their online site and go to JA1399, as indicated above, it says it is the wrong part for my '99 Nissan Quest. Like say, I'll take the part in tomorrow and see if they can indeed properly match it for me. As bad as removal was on my body, I am dreading sticking in a new part and having to work in that tight space again. :-(

ricebike
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

that part you are holding now is probably mis-packaged

Duralast JA1204 or tell them to order the cheaper Everco 20140

photo is from their parts website

----------------------------
sometimes the parts counter person doesn't know any better; he can pull up the pic of the part number on his screen & compare it

i just did rear brakes for an audi a6, and they gave me wrong rotors; i had to give up on them and goto advance auto parts down the street to get correct ones at a higher price... autozone had wrong parts in the boxes to begin with, like your experience

coupe1942

No, I went back to Autozone and found that the manufacturer changed prior to 2000. All of the various websites show the JA1204 as the same one I mentioned above, so not likely a packaging problem. The new part will be here later today. JA1204 is incorrect for the '99 Quest. When I get it in and check it to make sure. Part number for new part is JA1399. The Evercor 20140 you mention is similar to what I got inside the box labeled as JA1204. That one just won't fit on my '99 Quest. Hopefully it will be cleared up when the part comes in later today though. The above Altima video is somewhat similar to what my Quest resistor looks like. The screws are a 5/16" head on them. I just used a nut driver to remove the part initially, but I'll use a socket and extension when I try to put them back into place. A handy flashlight is a good thing to have, as that space is tight and not all that easy to reach and manipulate in the dark.

Here are pics of the JA1399 part:

JA1399 blower motor resistor from AutoZone by coupe1942, on Flickr

JA1399 part by coupe1942, on Flickr

The JA1399 part by coupe1942, on Flickr

If you look close at the JA1399 above, you can see it is not an exact duplicate of what I have pulled from my '99 Quest, but is close. Like say, when it gets in later today with the order, I'll be checking it out anyway.

ricebike
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

oops! i mixed up the pics w/ the text...

yea their listings were incorrect for your year (that was for the earlier model quests/villagers)

you know, i went back to the site and now MY VEHICLE is calling for that same part number = JA1399 :facepalm:

i'm going to return the one that they gave me for that bigger printed circuit board

PS: what's wrong with your current one? i don't see any burned pathways on it

coupe1942

None of the settings would work, other than the high setting on the controls. Once this was replaced, the settings all work fine. Some things that I found in replacing this was that the JA1204 is not the correct resistor for '99 Quest. It is a JA1399, which does not quite look the same as what the stock part looks like, but is an exact copy. The two screws are 5/16" and a nut driver or socket will work well in removal and re-installation. You don't have to put this resistor back in before testing it to make sure everyting works. Have a good flashlight, as the area is not easy to see in. It is also very cramped to work in. I did a quick video of what I did, but the lighting was poor and the video was a bit shaky, as I was holding the camera in my hand as I did things. Not sure if I can link it here or not. Don't expect the guys at AutoZone to know what they are selling. Not really their fault, as this replacement unit is actually listed for the 2000-2002 models and not the 1999 models. You can likely find a better price than AutoZone on the part, too, but it was handy for me, so that is where I went to get the part. The diagram in the service manual is pretty badly done in really showing much about this swap in my opinion. It didn't take long to remove or reinstall, but the area location makes it a bit challenging, especially if you have arthritis, as I do. still, Even so, it probably was nowhere near an hour of labor to do the task.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGMR7pj9WE

Sorry that the video is not better.

ricebike
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

yea, their listings for that box-looking part is for 1993-1998 models

i just talked to a local autozone rep & i'm going to swap out that smaller printed circuit board for the bigger one. I had them pull it out of the box & made sure it was the right looking part that you have posted w/ the bigger pathways...

since it's linked w/ your phone number you gave them for the lifetime warranty, they're going to honor it & hand me the correct part.

i have no problems going under there w/ a nut driver. since it's nissan, i thought it was metric sizes so i used size 8mm socket on it. I am just going to insall the front screw since the back is a PITA. :whistle:

coupe1942

The guys at the local Nissan dealership will likely laugh at me tomorrow, as I have an appointment to have them check out the driver side seatbelt that won't retract all the way that it should. Although I have read that Nissan has a lifetime warranty on their seatbelts, I am a bit mistrusting on them actually honoring it. They will likely get a laugh that I have not installed the blower resistor back into it's slot yet. It works okay where it is and the weather has been humid and cool here, so I am not anxious to fight getting back into that tight space to reinstall the thing just yet. Maybe I can talk them into doing it as a freebie... :-)

Yeah, I didn't actually look at just which hole the two screws were located in when I removed mine. It is too dark to see much with the poor lighting I had at the time. It won't be difficult to figure out which of the four opening the screws go into though. I got a good light, but like you, I'd likely leave out the rear screw as it is a pain to reinstall where it is located.

Good luck in your re-installation.

Return to “Quest Forum”