'99 Max SE-L manual tranny, 1706 PNP fault code?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
jmaxima
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima, SE-L

Anyone ever picked up a 1706 code before, with a manual tranny?

It's a '99 Max SE-L with roughly 175,000 miles - original clutch if that matters. It's been pulling this code for a while now. FSM doesn't give a whole lot of info regarding signs and symptoms of a bad PNP switch/sensor in a manual tranny car. The local dealership service department told me that it's impossible - manual tranny doesn't have one. But, the FSM indicates they are incorrect - as usual. I don't want to pay them to diagnose the same thing and still be clueless as to the solution or if it really needs to be replaced.

Car occasionally idles low after warm up. And has stalled a couple times when idling or taking a low speed turn with the clutch in. Those symptoms are similar to having a bad coil pack (or spark plug), or mass air flow. But I don't have any other codes currently.

Thanks,

James

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Hey, welcome to NICO. Glad there's another max on board.

P-N POS SW/CIRCUITIt's the only thing I could find. Probably isn't much help. I'll keep looking.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Yes the manual trans has a PNP switch. It is a round shaped sensor that is mounted in the transmission casing on the driver side of the vehicle. The connector for the sensor should be on the top of the transmission.

To replace, drain the fluid from the transmission, remove the bolt holding the sensor in (10 or 12mm), carefully remove the sensor, and install the new one.

Here is a diagram of the transmission. #18 is the PNP switch.

jmaxima

Thanks Scott & Beancooker,

I was worried the tranny may need to be dropped and come apart to get to the sensor. I have the FSM and therefore the diagrams. But didn't notice in it the proper procedure for replacement of the sensor.

Do you happen to know if this could be the source of my sometimes rough / low idle?

- James

maxhopper

It shouldn't have anything to do with the idle condition. I'd try cleaning the idle air control valve, and run a can of BG44K through the fuel system, and see if that helps.

jmaxima

I've probably run at least a half dozen name and generic fuel cleaners through the car in the past year. No benefit to any that I can tell. The idle condition seems to be 'electrical'. I say this because sometime it idles as expected - very smooth like new. But other times there's some vibration and the idle speed actually drops. And in the worst cases the engine stops completely. It's somewhat nervewracking when the light turns green and the car behind you nearly runs you over. In traffic the idle is smooth enough that you can't tell it isn't correct. And you only notice if you keep an eye on the tach.

I had to replace my main pre-cat this most recent spring. I mistakenly replaced the rear cat first and the car ran for a while with the pre-cat in very bad condition. At that point the engine was trying to die almost everytime it idled and the pre-cat was almost completely clogged. The pre-cat by the way is a part I was told by the Nissan service department 'never goes bad'.

Odd thing, when I replaced the rear cat the car ran great for about a month before it all the symtoms of a clogged cat came back with vengence. Then it ran great again once the pre-cat was replaced. But alas it's got this goofy condition again that is sporadic. I think it's possible the manifold was damaged. But there is no sound of a leak. And mechanical damage would typically be more consistent instead of sporadic.

wwnick
Car: Nissan Maxima

I am sorry this isn't an answer to your problem. But I am having what seems to be the exact same problem with my 2000 maxima se 5 sp. Same 1706 code reading and stalls sometimes after it is warm. If I leave the A/C on it doesn't stall. Also about the same time as the light came on, the clutch line leaked the fluid out of the mastercylinder. I can't see how this could be related, but it happened at the same time. If you have solved this problem, it would help me out if you could tell me what you need to do to fix it.

jmaxima

Keeping the AC on in your car forces it to idle higher, in order to generate the needed current from the alternator for the AC. My car does the same thing in that situation. My guess is with the PNP sensor out the car doesn't know to keep a steady flow of fuel running to the engine in neutral or with the clutch engaged.

Out of curiosity, is your factory alarm working properly? Mine has been somewhat questionable recently, the past one to two months. I thought it was from when my 'assistant' left one of the rear door controls resting in the door during a heavy storm and it got a bit wet. The fuses are all fine and all the other doors work properly. But if you are having issues with any of the electric door locks or power windows, maybe they are related and it's more a NVIS issue.

- James

jmaxima

With what you indicated in mind, maybe the tranny fluid level is just low?

wwnick

All the door locks, windows and the alarm are working. That doesn't seem to be part of the same problem. Wayne

jmaxima

I suspected not, but it was worth asking.

mbanovac

helloi just bay nissan note 1.4 whit manual gear box(5 speed) and I have the same errer code (P1706) P-N POS SW/CIRCUIT Park/Neutral Position Switch??? enybody know how to fix it!!

glemon

I am sorry I can't help with the error code, however, I am glad to see the original poster says he has a Maxima with an original clutch and 175,000 miles, mines is only at 80,000 and so far has been perfect, plan on keeping it a long time.

maxhopper

The only advise I can offer is to inspect your gearbox, and see if there is something similar to the one in the picture above.

mbanovac

Thanks anyway !! I inspect my gear box and i find p-n switch it`s brocken and the gear box oil leak from it (litle) I will tuck my car in service becaose it`s new and hawe 3 year garanty!!!

wwnick

It took me a while but I have found you and myself an answer. This web site has all the codes, what they mean, and how to check to find what the problem is. http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2000/ In the "EC" pdf on page 401 you will find the DTC P1706 PNP switch for manual transmission. (“EC” is Codes) ( “MT” is Manual Trans) and so on.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”