99 Infiniti i30 Alarm Ignition Lockout Problem

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
rickrock999
Car: 99 Infiniti i30

I have a problem that has been baffling me and I want to see if anyone knows what I should do.

I have a 99 Infiniti i30, bought the car a few months back and had to have the engine changed, the new (used) engine came out of a 99 Maxima.
The problem is that about once every week or so the alarm triggers the ignition lockout, and I cannot start the car.
I thought I had the problem solved when the last couple of times I was able to lock and unlock the driver door and the car started, but this time it is not working. I have also tried what the manual recommended where you turn the key on and off twice for 5 seconds each then start, didn't work either.
The problem happens completely at random, and the car finally starts at a random time of 10 minutes to 24 hours later.
When I bought the car it did not come with a fob to unlock the doors, bought an aftermarket one but thought that it may have been the problem so stopped using it and just lock and unlock with the keys.

I just want this problem to go away, is there a way to disconnect the alarm?
I've asked different mechanics and have gotten different responses.
Please help. Thanks

rickrock999

More info:
Car would not start again this morning, had it towed to a mechanic, and before it even got off the tow truck the car started. The mechanic said he could not diagnose the problem if it wasn't happening. He said it might be the starter but I had the starter changed after the new engine was put in and the problem happened again. Put the old starter back in.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Is the Security LED working - blinking when DISARMED (door unlocked), steady when alarm in PRE-ARMED state (for 30 seconds after locking the door) then blinking again in the ARMED state. Security LED should turn off with Ignition ON.

To disable the alarm, dismount (do not disconnect) the hood close/open sensor (mounted on driver side, behind headlight) and stow safely (tie wrap or equivalent). With the hood in 'open' state, the Security system cannot go in ARMED state. There is also a possibility that you have a NATS (Nissan Anti Theft System) with coded ignition key stored in the ECM and NATS IMMU (Immobilizer Unit). Did you replace the ECM when the engine was replaced?

rickrock9999

Loystock, Thanks for responding to my post. Sorry I have not gotten back sooner. After I got the car started last time it has been fine, until yesterday (3 weeks later) when it happened again (didn't start) Went back this morning still not starting, tried pushing the car with another car a few feet and it started.

To answer your questions: We did not change the ECM when we changed the engine (could it be a loose connection)
Also I tested the alarm like you said, here are the results

Door locked: Blinking
Pre armed state: (30 secs after unlocking door) Still Blinking (not steady on)
Ignition on: Light Off.

So could it be the NATS itself (still blinking in pre armed state) or a loose connection on the ECM?
I am going to attempt to disable the NATS as you suggested.
Thanks.

rickrock9999

OK I went out and checked the Alarm LED again. Basically it is blinking once every 2.5 seconds under all circumstances except when the ignition is on, then the light is off.
I dismounted (not disconnected) the Hood open sensor. (That's the one with the 2 Phillips screws holding it on right?)
The LED is still behaving the same, so it seem like dismounting the sensor did nothing.
Of course I can't tell because the car is starting now, and might not have the problem again for up to 3 more weeks.
Any thoughts?

cheepnis05
Car: 2001 Infiniti i30

My 2001 i30 is doing the same thing, i had to leave it in the driveway this morning. I will be following up.

I tried searching the forum for more on this issue but I couldn't find anything, does anyone know of any previous threads where this type issue has been addressed?

My symptoms...
Wife came in says the car won't start.
I tried it, seems like all key positions were working until I attempted to start.
When moving to the start position all electronics immediately dead, as if the battery were disconnected.
First time it stayed 'dead' until I got out and used FOB to lock unlock doors.
I slowly cycled through all key positions, on and off a few times before slowly one by one moving through to start.
This time it went dead than would not respond again, (open close doors, FOB not responding)
I opened the hood, lights came of, FOB began responding.
I disconnected the battery and went to work.......

More to follow.

Thanks in advance!
-Tim

cheepnis05

I am thinking about what i am going to do tonight...

From Loystock:
"With the hood in 'open' state, the Security system cannot go in ARMED state."

If this resolves the situation, might I be able to deduce that definitely the issue is with the NATS? So basically, if it works with the hood open, but won't start with the hood closed.... NATS = Bad.

I will then see if an individual key is the issue, and beyond that do i suspect the key-switch?

I had pulled a fuse a while back, to prevent the "Alarm" (lights and horn at least) from randomly going off (I suspected something in my neighborhood was replicating the 'panic' button signal from the FOB). I honestly forgot about it until just now. Since it was the 4th time in a week it had gone off between midnight and 4am I was understandably groggy when I pulled it!

cheepnis05

Well whaddaya know...

Open the hood to find the hood sensor had been disconnected? Truly bizarre since the lights came on this morning the instant I opened the hood. It wouldn't snap back into place making me think it may have recently fallen off. Would a disconnected hood sensor have caused this issue in the first place? Maybe it was getting loose and causing the 'false alarms' I was having previously?

So I reconnected the battery and the hood sensor (wrapped some electrical tape to hold tight) and all seems well.

Just for S and Gs I put my 'Anti-Theft' 10a fuse back in, we'll see what happens.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Yes, an unsecured hood sensor can cause false alarm. Once the system is in ARMED state, if the hood sensor opens for whatever reason, the anti-theft system will think someone opened the hood without opening the main door, triggering the warning.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”